Feet sinking into ground?

Ricky40

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2504 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Does this happen when you're barefoot or only with certain shoes? If it's with certain shoes that hide your avatar's feet with an alpha you might be wearing your shoes too far down on your legs. so the foot of the shoe is below where your avatar's foot actually ist.

If it happens when you're barefoot as well the animations in your AO may be to blame. Most third-party viewers have some sort of "Z offset" control that allows you to adjust the up/down position of your avatar to compensate for problems like this.

Get on a pose stand, put on the shoes but DON'T put on any alphas they came with. Most boots actually attach to your lower legs and not your feet. Slide the boots up until the feet of the boots match the location of your bare feet. If they're regular shoes and match your feet pretty well then you'll need to adjust your offset like other people described.

Perrie Juran wrote:

.  Dang, can't remember what it is called now.

Tease! :smileyhappy:

Interesting problem.  I have a house where my feet sink into the floor on my sim...my feet don't sink into the floor at the store demo for the same house.  It's been bugging me for weeks.  Put down an ivisiprim over the floor...problem solved....I guess.

height offset.jpg

Solaria Goldshark wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Interesting problem.  I have a house where my feet sink into the floor on my sim...my feet don't sink into the floor at the store demo for the same house.  It's been bugging me for weeks.  Put down an ivisiprim over the floor...problem solved....I guess.

Here is the function in Firestorms Quick Preferences.

I may have been wrong about the Debug setting, it's been so long since I messed with this.

See this discussion:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/LSL-Scripting/My-feet-go-inside-the-ground-Is-there-a-script-to-fix-this/td-p/987063

Common bug with SL. Sometimes when you tp into laggy regions z-offset is screwed up. It seems to fix itself eventually when you tp to more regions. Do not edit your shoes because it's not a problem with the shoes, it's a problem with SL. The next time you log in when the problem is corrected, your "edited" shoes will now be in the wrong spot. You could try editing z-offset like suggested but just remember to put it back to 0 later.

Perrie Juran wrote:

height offset.jpg

Solaria Goldshark wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

I may have been wrong about the Debug setting, it's been so long since I messed with this.

See this discussion:

see where it says "Height Offset" ?? if your feet are sinking in or youre walking on air .. play w/ that slider til youre juuuust rite .. but then you may hav2 do it again when you go somewhere else

Jeanne

JeanneAnne wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

height offset.jpg

Solaria Goldshark wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

See this discussion:

see where it says "Height Offset" ?? if your feet are sinking in or youre walking on air .. play w/ that slider til youre juuuust rite .. but then you may hav2 do it again when you go somewhere else

Jeanne

It was the Debug setting I was referring to, not the height offset in the slider.

But that thread did jog my memory, it was the Z Modifier in preferences that I was thinking about, not a Debug setting.

Perrie Juran wrote:

It was the Debug setting I was referring to, not the height offset in the slider.

But that thread did jog my memory, it was the Z Modifier in preferences that I was thinking about, not a Debug setting.

well .. i dont know about the Debug setting .. but i do know that when my feet are sinking in i fix it w/ that "Height Offset" slider

Jeanne

• 1 year later...

It's worth remembering the height offset/hover will only work if you have a modify shape.

Another solution is to try different foot bases from different shoes. I have a pair of boots that always sink into the floor when I use the supplied base so I use one from a completely different pair to correct it.

One other thing to check. Are you walking on Linden land or on a prim/sculpt/mesh surface. If the latter, it can be poorly created mesh, a prim stretched too big (mega prims don't work really well for floors), or with sculpts, they forgot a collision prim so your feet sink into the phantom prim. Just something else to consider.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I figured it out!!!  My feet sinking was driving me nuts... Go to "Edit My Shape" and under the body section (where you set Height) adjust "Hover" -- it affects how your avatar hovers (or sinks with certain shoes) over the ground and your toes won't sink.  :-)  Hint, you make need to type in a number to go up or down by one or two rather than use the scroll bar to be more precise.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DebraWinters Blessed said:

I figured it out!!!

finally we can solve this mysterie... we were all hovering around for past 3 years...

just kidding.. but perhaps use your search next time.. you'll find a lot of posts where you would have found  your answer years ago...

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2504 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.