HOW CAN I UPGRADE MY SECONDLIFE VIEWER?

coolmaria Carroll

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4225 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

6 answers to this question

The available viewers are listed here: Third Party Viewer Directory. Please read the notes and warning on the page.

The page does not list all the Third Party Viewers (TPV). A good current list is here.

Linden Lab, the makers of Second Life, have a number of viewers. The main viewer is called the Release Viewer. It has an automatic update feature that you can turn on or off in Preferences. By defualt it is on. So, if you have not changed the setting, you should be updating automatically.

The Lab also puts out a Beta version of the viewer. It contains coming features and bug fixes. If you are having a problem with the Release viewer, you can try the Beta version. Beta version tend to have more bugs, but they are usually a different set of bugs, so it may solve a specific problem.

The Lab also publishes a Development Viewer. This is a pre-Beta version, but I don't see it as an real Alpha version. This has new features and bug fixes that are even newer and less tested. But, it may solve a specific problem. Some of us use it as our main viewer. Right now it is too buggy for me to rely on it.

Features

If you are looking for more features then look to the TPV's. I think Firestorm is the most feature rich. It is the most stable (does not crash) viewer out right now.

Niran's Viewer has the most inovative user interface and is good for photography/machinima.

Exodus Viewer is another cutting edge viewer good for photography/mahinima and gaming.

Dolphin 3 is my choice for a work horse viewer with a good set of enhanced features.

Cool VL and Singularity are new code but old V1 interface viewers. They usually produce really high frame rates. 

...and these are my opinions. You can read more on my blog. Find Viewers in the menu to read about specific viewers. If a viewer is not listed in the menu, look in the left column for catagories. It will probably listed there.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4225 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.