How do I transfer group ownership?

Eric0901 Wolfhunter

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4224 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have a group, that as owner I want to transfer ALL control and fucntion over to an ALT account. I have tried several times to do it by going into the members list and asssigning the rol to the alt account, however, when I hit the apply button, it does not take. I have checked with the alt account to make sure, and it indeed did not work. 

I AM the creator of the group. I can assign officers and any other roles I want, but cannot transfer or add an owner. 

How can I get around this issue? I really want to get my main account dis associated with the group.

• Thanks 1

6 answers to this question

I have had this problem happen to me when using Phoenix. However using LL's latest viewer I have no problem at all. One thing you can try is eject your alt from the group and then press refresh to make sure he is gone from the group, then invite him as an owner. If that doesn't work make sure you are using the official latest viewer and try again.

• Like 1

As the group founder, you cannot "transfer" the ownership: Owners: Group owners have full control over their group, and have access to all group abilities. This role can't be deleted, edited, or hidden.  The person who creates the group is initially the owner. Default title is "Owner."

You should however be able to invite a co-owner (read carefully the KB). In any case, your name won't be dissociated from your group. You will still appear as "Owner". The only way you could "disappear" from your own group would be to eject everyone until you remain the only member, hence the group will be disbanded after 48 hours, and get your alt create a new group, but you won't be able to use eexactly the same name.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Joining-and-participating-in-groups/ta-p/700117#Section_.3

• Like 2

I've been able to do it using a Viewer 2 generation viewer and adding an owner. If you want your main account to no longer be an owner you can then leave the group. You can then be added back in as an ordinary member if you like. You will never be able to remove your name as "founder" of a group though - even people who no longer have accounts remain listed as group creators.

The only other thing to remember is if there's a problem with the group, depending on what it is, LL won't contact the currently identified owner(s), they will only deal with the group creator.

I've only had this happen once in all the years I've been in here but it's a tidbit of information you may not find elsewhere.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4224 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.