Av-Vehicle Tracking, Mini Map - Lagged or inaccurate positions

PapiG

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4225 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Noticed since last upgrade on what someone mentioned as a sim crossing improvement almost a month ago, that now ship battles are quite irritating. Av (Green Dot) locations on the mini map are not valid location of the actual object. ie: see the location of the av on the mini map, you reach that location and the av suddenly appears behind you or different location instantly moving across the sim in a blink. AS well, Avs/ships in a holding pattern on sim edges but when you right click them they both dissapear and you then realize that the av and ship are directly behind you which didnt show up on the map. Granted high performance on client side, (video cards, processors, and bandwidth, etc.), make a difference on frame rates yes but this just went to a noticiable issue instantly and has not corrected in weeks.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks 

hmm, no ideas I guess....

I noticed last night as I crossed a sim line I lost sight of the the ship to my left in the next sim until I crossed back into that sim and it reappears right in front of me.

Guess I will just keep throwing these out here. :smileyindifferent:

Greetings, PapiG

Sim crossings have been ... interesting ... since forever.  IN 2007 someone started a JIRA (bug report), which over the years had been added to.  It is still rated as a "Showstopper" issue.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-472

Sailors, pilots, people who like to fly rather than teleport, all complained of different issues.  The issues changed, or became worse, sometimes they became better, each week as new code was rolled out to the grid (see Oskar Linden's weekly posts for the latest on what's being rolled out).

The problem you describe, of your ship seeming to disappear to the left of you until you'd crossed a sim line, this is far from unusual.  If you ever have a chance to watch the Giant Snail Racing cross country races on Treet TV, you get a perfect illustration of how sim crossings can be, with giant snails appearing to continue walking in one direction, while others go under the ground or up into the air.  It will be the same for those who travel by sea-going vessel, or pilots also.

All the information that you hold, plus the information on any vehicle you are attached to or sitting in, has to go from one server to another each time you cross a sim line, and this information can travel across at different speeds.  And sometimes we see something very different to the person sitting right next to us too.  It's all part of the quirkiness of SL.

However, what I do suggest that you do is go to the JIRAs and submit a brand new one, stating exactly your experiences when crossing sim borders.  All the information submitted in this way is triaged and the more information Linden Lab receive, the more they have to work with when considering new code to improve things.

https://jira.secondlife.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa

Your viewer relies on the server to tell it what to draw where and sometimes these communications can get lost. For example, when a vehicle leaves one region and enters another the server sends a "kill object" message to stop your viewer from drawing the vehicle in the old region. Right now there's no confirmation system for that particular message so if its sent and that packet gets lost (which can happen even on fast and normally reliable connections) your viewer doesn't realize it should stop drawing the old one and the server doesn't realize your viewer still IS drawing it. If you right-click an object it causes your viewer to ask the server about it again so the server will say, "Hey! This thing isn't here anymore; didn't you hear?" and the viewer then knows to stop drawing it. The server people are planning on changing this message so that it requires confirmation by the viewer and theoretically this will stop happening.

Things suddenly changing position are usually problems with the "interest list", which is a list that the viewer sends to tell your viewer what it needs to calculate and render and what it can ignore because your avatar isn't looking at it. These issues have gotten worse lately with the changes that came in with pathfinding, especially for moving objects. There's a big project going on right now to change the way the interest list works to make it both faster and more reliable - it's currently being tested now.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4225 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.