Show off your mesh stuff

Jo Yardley

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4187 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Now that I have finally managed to build mesh stuff (thanks to mesh studio), I've been curious to see what kind of stuff people are making.

So how about a 'show off what you've made' topic?

Post a photo and perhaps a little about the in- or outworld software you've used, your motivation, how many prims, etc.

I'll start with something simple that made me really happy.

screen-capture.jpg

As Blender and Zbrush make my brain implode, I use Mesh Studio, so this was all made inworld.

On the left you can see the original window, a simple single prim with window texture on it.

On the right you see my new window, it is mesh and uses 2 parts so it can slide open.

With the old window, the entire window would slide up into the wall, with the new window only the bottom part slides up, like in real life.

The result looks better but it also allows the window to work in a more realistic way.

Best thing is that by linking it to the mesh building, in total the 4 windows in this house have a land impact of 4 prims, just as much as the old windows!

I have been 'meshing' lots of stuff and will eventually try and mesh all my buildings, so not just windows.

But this is a good start to this topic I think.

So what do you think of my windows and, more importantly, what have you been meshing?

• Like 2

8011928443_334c62a139.jpg

I made this earlier today. It's pretty crappy and when I uploaded it in world it looked like it will need some serious textures to look half way decent... I keep referring to "it" as "it" because, I have no idea what it is. ahahaha I am a huge mesh, sculpty noob anyway but, I think what you've made are fabulous! And if you can build something like that in sl imagine what you can do with zbrush if you just gave it sometime!

Spotted this thread, thought id show some of the mesh stuff ive made...

Brunel Hall Hotel in the Academy of Industry region of New Babbage.  120m long from bar to bathing pool, 50m tall, 70m from front to back.  Entire building, floors, roof, walls and outside timbering details are all done in mesh, infact, the entire buildings structure is all in mesh.

8011374261_7c3a1709a4_o.jpg

Sovereign House, my private home further up from Brunel Hall on the same sim (Academy of Industry) again, full mesh, walls, floor, roof etc etc....

7796810120_abfe464a9c_o.jpg

• Like 1

Top image is the first upload to the beta of my WIP to check normals and the general look . The rear needs more definition  which isn't good because the LI is already at 41.

Damat on beta.png

I generally aim for around 8000 vertices max in Blender for a vehicle like this which normally translates to a LI somwhere betwenn 30 and 40. After my first pass, extruding from front to back the vertice count was around 2000.

Second, adding front grill , doors rear windows etc , 4500.

Third, bonnet and other details , 7500.

Fourth and last before test uploading , seat, dash and more edgeloops to clean up edges, 9000, ( count with only 1 wheel ! )

9000 vertices.png

So i'm guessing the final count in Blender will be like 10500.

This is the first car i have done with a roof so i'm blaming that for the high count.     :)

One of the reasons i like doing cars is because I can get away without doing much texturing,  ( not all creators are artists ) but thats something I should really learn to do as I'm sure it would cut my LI down by at least half and also a good texture looks so much better than SL shiny .

The image below is of a car i saw a couple of weeks ago and took a snapshot to remind me of how it should be done .

example of good texturing .png

• 3 weeks later...

I think you could get away with modifying one of the open-source chain emitter systems - like CISS - to send the skeins to the hand, by affixing a emitter object to the hand with the thread texture to the receiving prim. However, I am not sure how such would align, so far as orientation of the 'thread'.

Sylva Petrov wrote:

I think you could get away with modifying one of the open-source chain emitter systems - like CISS - to send the skeins to the hand, by affixing a emitter object to the hand with the thread texture to the receiving prim. However, I am not sure how such would align, so far as orientation of the 'thread'.

Well I oversimplified the roadblock a little in my initial post - the item is designed to be as "realistically interactive" as possible - so you sit down, click the box of raw fiber and are given a piece of roving to wear on your right or left hand That piece is good for X minutes of spinning, you wear it and off you go. The roving is of course the particle target for the yarn.It tells the wheel it's there and on which side it's worn on a specific channel and the wheel triggers either the right or left handed drafting animation, starts moving, generates the particles and starts filling the bobbin.

After your handful of fiber is exhausted, the fiber says "I'm done", dies and the wheel stops. You need to wear a new handful of fiber to start again. (a full bobbin also stops the wheel but that takes several handfuls of fiber - you need to swap it out for an empty one by clicking on the lazy kate - once all three on the lazy kate are full another click will clear all 4, but I intend to hook that for plying in a later version)

The problem I'm having is that every method I have tried so far to tie those comms to the specific spinner sat on that wheel seems to break it altogether and I really want it to be possible for multiple spinners to be in chat range each with their own wheel without comms crosstalk.

• 3 weeks later...

Indigo Mertel wrote:

Nice job. Do you use the curve modifier for those curvy frames?

I draw splines first and then used sweep nurbs to make the volume.

SplineWrap_SweepNurbs.png

On the left picture you see the drawing of the spline. In the right the model that comes out of it.

In the menu you see two splines: The lowest one is the drawn spline, the upper one is the form that the model must get. In this case I used a 8 sides rectangle as upper spline.

And this is the result in SL. (Not finished, I'm not fully satisfied with the texturing yet).

SnapshotThonetTable_001.png

• Like 1

Drongle McMahon wrote:

I am puzzled by the shadows in these pictures. They don't look like shadows that would be cast on any particular surface. Are they just an enhancement to the illustration, or are they part of the meshes?

They are not a part of the meshes. I took pictures in SL, cut away the background and added shadows in Photoshop.

Madeliefste Oh wrote:

Drongle McMahon wrote:

I am puzzled by the shadows in these pictures. They don't look like shadows that would be cast on any particular surface. Are they just an enhancement to the illustration, or are they part of the meshes?

They are not a part of the meshes. I took pictures in SL, cut away the background and added shadows in Photoshop.

The shadows look really odd.  It makes the picture contradictory, the shadows are cast as if the chair was flat 2D object.  When looking at the picture the brain gets confusing message.  We know that the chair is 3D object, then the shadows cast tell something different.

Scrap the shadows, or replace them with proper shadows how they are cast by 3D object. :smileywink:

Anyway, the chairs are really nice.  Good job. :smileyhappy: :heart:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4187 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.