How many characters permitted for a password?

Amza Hydraconis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4235 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

2 answers to this question

I don't think anyone has ever asked that question here, so I just tried to find an answer the empirical way... I changed my own password.  I can type in a password up to 16 characters long, but no longer.

Now, long is not necessarily better.  I did my test by typing "1234567890123456", which is a really crummy password, and Linden Lab's system told me as much.   The way to create a strong password is to use a mixture of alphanumeric characters, including some that are Upper and some that are Lower case.  Unfortunately, a truly random mixture is a bear to remember, but you can do almost as good by selecting, say, two unrelated words and a set of numbers that make sense to you.

Boise7229criCKet

would be a fairly nice one, for example.  It's easy enough for you to remember "Boise" and "Cricket", and even "7229" is not hard.  Put the three in a string and add the three capital letters, though, and you have a password that would be virtually impossible for anyone to guess or hit on at random.  And it's 16 characters long.  :smileywink:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4235 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.