Linden Lab is making a Minecraft clone called Patterns and a tablet app called Creatorverse.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4187 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Don't look like the kind of thing I would do, plus I am not buying any more computers and would never buy an ipad, looks like something for very young kids, if this is the way sl is going then it is time to leave for good next time, since the kids came to SL it has reduced it to a school yard, this can only make it worst, wow this has to be the most depressing thread in this forum, to me it says that the end of sl is very close.

I hadn't seen that mentioned but I'm not surprised considering the current LL CEO, Rodvik Linden, came from a gaming company and many things he has done since joining LL has been to steer SL into more of a gaming platform, partnering with the gaming portal, Steam, being one of the most recent.

Time will tell if SL continues to be the virtual world we enjoy or if it will become more akin to an MMORPG.  I sincerely hope not.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Time will tell if SL continues to be the virtual world we enjoy or if it will become more akin to an MMORPG.  I sincerely hope not.

I mostly think not. these 2 new products continue the linden tradition of making creative tools/environments for people to be creative with. is quite encouraging that I think

this is more akin to the original idea of Philip Rosedale, a 3D space where people can build, collaborate, and share their creations. somethting like this Philip would have done if he had the tools to create this kind of game back in 2002, it seems Rod Humble is helping him express that idea in a more modern way.

now it seems the perfect time to launch Patterns, people are getting interested in building in a virtual space, one thing that Minecraft show us is that the masses like simplicity to have fun, something that they dont have to think much about, thats why they like Farmville and Angry Birds, and thats why they like Minecraft, it use very simple shapes and allows everyone to be a hero, the ones who become skilled in Minecraft are gonna want more, so they are gonna move to Patterns, and when they want more, they are gonna want to move to Second Life.

mew a mew a poo poo poo :matte-motes-delicious:

Since i never ready anything like that for more then one word before it makes my head explode in pure boredom, my initial view says its has nothing to do with SL, but a seperate product. So not sure why that would make you think SL is going to the way of little kid games, since SL has been full of those since the beginning, might say 18+ before but believe me, the perception was 14- hahah.

For some reason me wants to make an animated poo, a poo meshie 

So, Linden Lab, creator of the most dynamic and immersive virtual environment in history, is now going to make Etch A Sketch for tablets. Hey, why not make coloring books and crayons too? Perhaps Rolex will start making bubble gum. Maybe Microsoft will open a chain of pizza restaurants. Hell, NASA should concentrate on clock radios. Thank all the gods that Linden Lab is not a government agency funded by tax dollars.

These type of truths behind problems such as this, I find most disturbing.

The Nanny-net is what policy makers, and monopoly makers want. That is why a person Goes to Daddy for a website. If you're good; you can sit Laptop. 

Soon, the entire Internet will be nothing but Apps. All computers will be interface only, no programming allowed, no serviceable parts inside.

The people who sell information, and or, wish to limit the exchange of information, are responsible for the hardware that is on the desk.... in the hands of consumers.

Nasa could probably start working on those radios seeing as they have nothing else to do.

Unless they do with the apps what they don't currently do with Second Life - advertise it on mainstream media - it'll just be an idea that falls down the side of the sofa.  There are far too many other, better, apps and games available. 

Mr Humble, being from a gaming background, has to be seen to be doing something more than sitting in his throne all day long, though, or he'll go the same way as the previous CEO.

These 'new' ideas neither impress me, nor depress me. I shall watch from a distance as only the most hardcore of LL sheep get on board (bored) with them.

Echo Hermit wrote:

These 'new' ideas neither impress me, nor depress me. I shall watch from a distance as only the most hardcore of LL sheep get on board (bored) with them.

I too would watch from a distance, if it wasn't all so boring.

...and if I didn't have better stuff to do.

Doesn't depress or impress me either.

I have become 100% apethetic :catindifferent:

The novelty to watch Linden's slow-motion train wreck wore off for me.

Drongle McMahon wrote:

"Soon, the entire Internet will be nothing but Apps. All computers will be interface only, no programming allowed, no serviceable parts inside."

:matte-motes-crying:

Apps are like snacks. And snacks are fabulous, but they just don't fill you up.  :matte-motes-frown:

GothGirl Demonia wrote:

Two Questions
they might sound really dumb...

1. Can I grief in patterns?

Can I like turn the world physical?

Can I like Crash the game?

2. Will there be a CopyBot for copying patterns included on release?

He said physics :3...

If it helps you learn to count, I'm all for it.

1. Can I grief in patterns?

The genesis version is said to be single player, so .. knock yourself out?

Can I like turn the world physical?

It's always physical, that's kind of the point of it.

Can I like Crash the game?

It's an alpha, it will be shocking if you can't.

2. Will there be a CopyBot for copying patterns included on release?

Yes, but apparently that part won't be ready for alpha.

16 wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

I mostly think not. these 2 new products continue the linden tradition of making creative tools/environments for people to be creative with. is quite encouraging that I think

I agree. Take a look at other developer companies. Most don't just stick to developing one single product. Theyw ould be stupid to do so, especially if one is starting to lose money. Why not expand into another market and make money from it. Personally, I think it's kinda cool. And i'd probably snag it when it comes out on the ipad just for a time waster while I watch water boil.

I'm sure "Flipper" has a few more apps and software out there other than these we have grown familiar with and associate with the Linden Lab title......my personal feeling is HI-5 and Kudos

"when you can't get it all at once....get it all in small increments"

author     unknown alt

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4187 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.