Deploys for the week of 2012-09-17

Oskar Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4206 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have no idea if relevant but the mini-map has been turning red on RC Le Tigre for the past week or so - I thought it was just me and never got around to asking what it meant.  This could of course be totally unrelated but I thought worth a mention given the observation from Arwen.

You are at 282,060.0, 258,431.0, 1,750.4 in Ratmaw located at sim7201.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.32.203:12035) Second Life RC LeTigre 12.09.07.264510

Oskar, It looks like the Sim visability bug is back. I could only see certian Sims in the Fair Winds Estate and some would come and go as i changed region. They all appear to be in teh same Server version (Main Channel).

The lag is much improved though, thankyou :)

Amber

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-134

Edit to say this is after the 2nd restart on the sims...

Things work really well as long as you dont try to use camara controls open inventory, rezz items and do any of the numerous things you expect to do normally in sl.  In other words sit still and do not move and it works fine and you may be able to even hold a conversation if you are lucky.  Eventually though lag will catch up with you memory use will rise and ping sim will run out of sight, earlier tonight in Echo Park I saw it reach over 20,000.

Now the good news, Oskar this is not your doing, the RCs which allegedly have the same code as installed today work fine have very little lag and are models of stability at least at the moment.  This suggest that either the main server hardware is wearing out badly or someone over the weekend changed the settings on the servers from what was working on the RC channels.  Whatever, it was that caused this does not seem to be on the RC servers and probably was inadequately tested by someone other than the restart team who innocently walked into a nightmare.  This is not good procedure and needs to be corrected as do the problems that apparently still remain with the main servers including accounts going to negative figure when mone is spent.  Whether these are repeatable bugs is hard to say, but what is certain is this mess is far from fixed and pretending otherwise only makes things worse.

Hi Oskar,

Last week I asked you about the region Egglebury.
http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Server/Deploys-for-the-week-of-2012-09-10/m-p/1667993#M7480

Today the region has been restarted, after more than 30 days of (amazingly smooth) uptime.
The problem is that Egglebury is still running RC PF 12.07.31.262785, an ancient version.

So it looks like one on't cross beams gone owt askew on treadle.

Rollouts complete here on the mainland and still many of the same problems mentioned earlier.

- Region crossings are far from stellar, worse than before.

-Items right in front of you not rezing for a long time, some linksets only rezing in part until selected.

-Objects vanish when you cross the region boundary. Sometimes a nearby region will completely blink out for a moment.

-Objects on minimap turned red after a while.

Other than that is seems to work okay :P

I didn't see any of the hassles that have been reported, but I have taken to doing something else on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, the rollouts being so disruptive. That's partly the timezone I am in.

I did do a bit of test flying of a vehicle, after the rollout was completed, Sim-crossing didn't seem any worse. I managed to make quite a long flight before things went wrong. And then it was one of those no-apparent-reason failures.

Shug

Your comments about linkset rezzing made me think (never a pleasant thing!)

I have noticed sculpties and other linked objects taking longer to rez, or not fully rezzing until poked, since this code was introduced on LeTigre last Thursday.

I put it down to my own hardware not performing as well as it might.  I wonder if something is throttling the sending of vector/vertex information to the viewer from the server in this software?

If that sounds like I don't know what I'm talking about, it's because I don't, really, but you get the drift, Yes?

Just a thought.

ETA: Is it possible that this more severe manifestation of the linkset and sculpty rezzing issue is caused by the older, less-able servers on Mainland?  Is there also some connection with LL's "interest-list" project work, perhaps?

shug Maitland wrote:

Rollouts complete here on the mainland and still many of the same problems mentioned earlier.

- Region crossings are far from stellar, worse than before.

-Items right in front of you not rezing for a long time, some linksets only rezing in part until selected.

-Objects vanish when you cross the region boundary. Sometimes a nearby region will completely blink out for a moment.

-Objects on minimap turned red after a while.

Other than that is seems to work okay
:P

I confirm all the above.

The mini map thing. It's not the red when the region is down, but items that were typically that greyish brown (other people's objects) appearing reddish. Somethign I've always attributred to loading and/or "stress" on the system.

Moon Metty wrote:

Hi Oskar,

Last week I asked you about the region Egglebury.

Today the region has been restarted, after more than 30 days of (amazingly smooth) uptime.

The problem is that Egglebury is still running RC PF 12.07.31.262785, an ancient version.

it should be updated to trunk this morning.

__Oskar

Oskar Linden wrote:

Marianne McCann wrote:

WolfBaginski Bearsfoot wrote:

Pardon?

It's their only line!

(Ah, Monty Python references)

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Cardinal Fang! Fetch...THE COMFY CHAIR!

Moon Metty wrote:

Hi Oskar,

Egglebury was indeed restarted, it's now running Second Life RC PF 12.09.07.264510

The server version is up to date, but does "RC PF" still exist?

I mean, if there were fewer release channels, there wouldn't be so many of them, numerically speaking.

The answer is a bit complicated. We can't at this time easily remove that channel. At a minimum I had the release team update the server code to match trunk. We're in the middle of some datacenter maintennance that has been ongoing for a while now. We don't have the capacity to move RC PF regions off from RC PF without a lot of juggling and multiple region restarts. So for the next few weeks or so RC PF needs to stay, but will be RC PF in name only. It will have trunk code.

__Oskar

Thanks for the explanation Oskar.
So the name is spelled "Pathfinding Release Channel", but it's pronounced "Second Life Server".

It's not a problem, as long as the channel takes part in the regular deploys.
It was interesting to see the region run so smooth after 30 days of uptime, though. :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4206 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.