Why is my avatar blurry?

Shabana Paneer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4393 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have 4gb RAM and a pretty fast machine but my avatar is continually refreshing itself it seems, with various parts of it blurry. I hit ctrl alt R to rebake of course and that solves it... for a few mins, then I am back to the intermittent blurryness, moving from part to part.

I have tried different graphics speed settings from low to high--same result.

Any insights on this?

Thanks in advance.

Shabz

5 answers to this question

Every time that your viewer sends update information about your avatar to SL's servers, your avatar's appearance goes through four steps of refreshing itself.  The first couple of steps are pretty fast, but they result in a blurry image.  You don't really look good until the third and fourth steps are complete.  If your Internet connection is fast and you aren't losing information along the way, you usually don't notice going through all of that.  If your ping time is long, though, information takes a while to get from your viewer to the servers, so you are more conscious of the blurriness.  My guess is that's what's happening to you.

Next time you are in world, open your Statistics Bar (CTRL + Shift + 1) and look at the ping time number that's near the top of the display.  It should be lower than about 150 ms for best performance.  If it's much more than that, you'll start to see blurriness and some lag -- rubber banding, in particular.  If you are far from SL's servers in San Francisco or Dallas, there's not much you can do about long ping times.  Take a look at Nalates's blog, though, to see how to tell whether the problem is closer to your own computer and therefore something that you can fix. 

• Like 1

Common problem unfortunately.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Technical/Blurry-avatar/qaq-p/1475625/comment-id/21607

http://blog.nalates.net/2012/03/06/sl-clouds-grey-and-blurry-avatars/

I've seen a sugegstion that may work and that is to turn off HTTP textures in Develop Menu then clear cache, restart computer and relog but don't know how successful that is.

Edit: Use Options > Edit to the right of your post to add additional comments.

I had this problem a while back and moved to the beta veiwer that solved it for me. I know not the best solution for every one but it worked my setup. 4gb ram, GTX9800, Win XP, Cour II duo proc. 

also try the usuall; clear cache/ re-install SL/update vid driver/ 

and check it at each stage.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4393 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.