Getting SecondLife Oculus Ready

Iron Perth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3016 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On the one hand, this could be a opportunity for our invisible CEO to step SL forwards.

On the other, the SL accountants have their arms wrapped tightly around the dwindling coffers, after years of high tier/squeezing blood out of the SL residents paying OTT tier.  Such ingrained behaviour is not fond of - gasp - investment and development, even into something that could put SL once again at the front of VR future.

My money, sadly, is on lame shinies, closing ears,  and squeezing those tier-paying 'stones' further.

Take some time to watch the video on the link I provided above.  You'll see that this tech is light years beyond the toilet paper tube approach of HMDs even from last year.    

It's a revolutionary jump forward.

BTW, SL already has some stereoscopic support:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-2972

So there isn't much that needs to be done.  The question is though, where are we with this?  It has a status of unresolved.  I can't comment on that issue and ask unfortunately.   Does anyone know anyone who can help follow up on this?

This tech really was meant for SL and SL was meant for it.   I always felt that SL suffered because it didn't quite have the immersion you needed to be really compelling - now is the chance for that to really happen.   This could be huge!

• 3 months later...

I've been considering pre-ordering the Dev Kit and SDK.  I agree, this would be amazing with SL (as well as quite a few MMOs and FPS games.)

I think the Oculus developers need to add a mic & headphones into the design (or at least a convenient way to plug earbuds and a mic) so voice can be done, as the keyboard will NOT be viewable.  And having a 3D controller (like the spaceball/spacemouse/spacepilot stuff) is almost mandatory.  Having support for those in the viewer as well would be a big benefit as well.

small bump

All in favour of immersion.

Maybe some day we will get kinnect types of cameras to record the upper body movements and facial expressions and transmit those to the in-world avatar (lower body should stay comfy on the couch).

Sensory feedback is next.

Plug in, matrix style, is next.

But for now, virtual reality is here. Wish to see it happen as soon as possible.

Helium Loon wrote:

I've been considering pre-ordering the Dev Kit and SDK.  I agree, this would be amazing with SL (as well as quite a few MMOs and FPS games.)

I think the Oculus developers need to add a mic & headphones into the design (or at least a convenient way to plug earbuds and a mic) so voice can be done, as the keyboard will NOT be viewable.  And having a 3D controller (like the spaceball/spacemouse/spacepilot stuff) is almost mandatory.  Having support for those in the viewer as well would be a big benefit as well.

Take a look at the Oculus design, it looks like you can wear a mic/headphone along with it. Also, it wouldn't be too hard to implement a virtual keyboard.. I believe windows 7 & 8 has a virtual keyboard built in (which would work well with Leap Motion)

• 1 month later...

I conpletely agree with you on this Cracker about the Oculus as well as the Leap Motion hands free controller. If these two new devices were implemented into SL correctly it would change everything. I am very excited about this. I am also thinking (in my own head) about an idea for being able to walk and turn with your feet while either sitting in a chair or standing up.

I can just imagine walking around in SL and reaching out to touch an object and pick it up or edit it just by motioning with my hand or hands. And then being able to walk around while sitting in my chair without ever having to touch the keyboard.

I think a good option for the Oculus would be to put 2 cameras in the front of the device (where your eyes would normally look) that will turn on any time you want to see the real world without taking the headset off, I think that would be a cool feature. It would simply pause the game view and show the camera view to you whenever you need it to. But I guess Oculus would have to want to do that.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is what will make SL truly amazing and immersive! The biggest drawback with SL (and other virtual worlds) is the disconnect between the world and the user, the keyboard and mouse just doesn't cut it; at least not for me.  The SpaceNavigator 3D controller solved half the problem, the Oculus Rift is the other half.  I can't wait!! 

This is way too advanced for Linden Lab. The company can't even manage to program a simple choice between first name only or first name and last name. Without the volunteers at Phoenix/Firestorm, there would be no functional viewer. In theory, there is a CEO, but no one has seen him in years. Forget headsets. Be happy SL is still running at all.

• 3 weeks later...

OMG those are some serious griefers in "Surrogates"!

I have been anticipating something like the Oculus Rift for many years, even before Second Life. It's what got me interested in 3D in the first place. I look forward to seeing how this turns out with all the peripheral technology out there even as I write this message.

See emotiv and Leap Motion and imagine how cool this would be!

• 2 weeks later...

There is a start to the effort to get Oculus Rift working with SL:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/Oculus-Rift-Virtual-Reality-Headset-Second-Life-Viewer/td-p/1826591

The Leap Motion looks interesting, but I think it is better for when you are using a monitor than when wearing a head-mounted display because your hands have to be near it. I have ordered the Razer Hydra instead which seems more promising for VR:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Viewer/Razer-Hydra-experience-or-interest-3D-6-degree-of-freedom/m-p/1962913

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3016 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.