Prim Hair..

starflitz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4212 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm stuck on step 5 on Part 2 of the PRIM HAIR TURTORIAL.

http://www.mermaiddiaries.com/2007/02/day-131-creating-prim-hair-part-2.html

Do they mean link them together and then UNLINK the loop rez and put it mid ways then when it's mid way, link it back?

When I wear the prim hair after I'm finished.. It's turned a way it's NOT suppose to be.

Could someone please be telling me something I'm doing wrong?

The "root prim" is the last prim selected before you link your primset.  That's what it means by select, unlink, then select again and link..........to make that prim the root prim.  Actually, I don't think it matters much where the root prim is located in the linkset for something like hair unless the root prim is at the very edge of the linkset.......that will make it difficult to adjust the hair once you wear it.  You want the root to be closest to the center of the linkset as possible so that when you move and rotate the hair to fit it properly on your head it behaves in an intuitive way.  All movement and rotation is centered on the root prim........if it's at the edge then rotating the hair will cause it to rotate in a manner you are not expecting since the rotation will center on the root prim.

I'm sure you know you will have to adjust the hair once you wear it for the first time (unless you get extremely lucky).

The "root object" of a set of linked prims is always the last one selected and added to the set and it shows up as yellow when you highlight it instead of blue like the other ones. Your tutorial asked you to select everything, de-select the little ball inside and then re-select it so that it would be the last one selected and therefore become the root prim. The location of the "root object" is what the servers use to determine where an object is on a sim and it's also the best place to put scripts. that you want to effect the entire object.

To get the hair to sit right, just select it and rotate it to the correct position. The tutorial mentions that you'll have to do that.

The tutorial you're doing is interesting and would be good practice but that way of making hair is very old and the hair you're making would be quite laggy compared with more recent hair. If you're just looking for hair to wear it would be much simpler to get some nice free hair which many hair makers give away to promote their products and let people see the range of colors the hair comes in.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4212 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.