Anyone happen to know why SL randomly kicks you out?

Dannii Lockjaw

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4230 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello all.

Ok Here's the thing. this started about a week or two ago and I was wondering if anyone knew what the heck was going on. About a week ago I was online and had multiple avies running for a hud game I play. I was on for about an hour and then I got a message saying that the connection was lost and to check internet connection. But ive asked around and this isnt just happening to me. I have family and friends that this is happening to as well. Anyone know why SL just feels the need to randomly kick you off recently?

Dannii

P.S.

If this helps at all the viewer I use is Phoenix Viewer 1.5.2.1102

Hope to hear from someone soon!

3 answers to this question

the session/connection between you/viewer and the sim/server is timing out

is a interwebz thing mostly. packets get routed any number of ways between your modem and the server modem. if is delays in the packets arriving then the server will timeout and drop your connection

all servers do this. webservers, poker servers and most other kinds of game servers

on most poker sites when you get dropped then the client program will autotry to re-establish the connection. SL viewer doesnt do that. you have to manual restart the viewer

+

if you want to see what happens can get a freebie packet tracer. is quite interesting that sometimes. can see where your stuff goes on its way to linden servers

• Like 2

Not necessarily Linden Lab's fault.  I sit here some days watching my internet connection die.  My other windows will automatically reload, but if the interruption is prolonged, it is at that point my avatar(s) get kicked out of world.

Darned annoying when you are running a HUD-based game, or just want to leave an avatar inworld to monitor any group chat while you're out digging the garden :matte-motes-sour:

Our internet service provider is meant to be improving the speeds before the end of this month, which is all well and good. What we all need is more stable connection.  This, I think, where your problem lies also.

Edited to add:

Next time you're logged in, go into the Advanced Menu and click to put an X next to "console window".  Relog. This will give you a console window, which will show you exactly what's happening at the point of being kicked out of SL.  You'll see if it's a problem with the region, or connection, or whatever.

The first thing I would recommend is to use the latest non-mesh version of Phoenix, 1.5.2.1185. It fixes some bugs and adds a feature or two.

But that's not the problem, I don't think. Usually getting that "you've been disconnected" messages is because either one of the servers or the viewer stopped answering an "are you awake" ping from the other side. After two minutes of no responses, the server or viewer will assume the connection is broken and proceed to log you out. Details might be in your viewer logs, and the Phoenix Firestorm Team can help you check them for possible causes any any available fixes.

But the first thing we will want you to do is check your network connection. We have a handly little wiki page just for this, it's at http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/speedtest.

If that doesn't help you, follow the steps in http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/file_a_jira to create a support request and attach your logs. Indicate that you already ran the speedtest, and note what your bandwidth setting is.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4230 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.