Build in Ultra Graphics settings

Paul Hexem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4186 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, here is a little something in that consideration. 

I was in some beach full of naked people, and basically I was there to take some pictures of my avi for the sake of the landscape in that sim (beautiful sim btw).... and for the fact I was playing with the climate and lights around my avi, I was wearing facelight (moderate intensity). I was standing at the shore away from a bunch of people standing, and this guy started yelling at me (local chat). "OH GOD PLEASE, I HATE FACELIGHT!!!!"  

So, for the first couple of minutes, I didnt notice the chat. "HEY DUDE, CAN YOU GET THAT **bleep** OFF!! IT MAKES MY COMPUTER LAG FKN MUCH!" So I finally noticed his roar and I asked him does this really bother him because my computer isnt lagging at all. If i was i would, and I said I will turn it off soon, just give me 2 minutes cos I just had 3 shots left. But Oh No, god no, he was going nuts on me like he's going down with the ship or something. He said he hates people with facelight because it mainly causes lag, and his setting was on Ultra so he doesnt need those 'unnecessary lights around him.' But that's his story and we all share this one big world, Second Life, and eventually I turned it off as I accelerated the process and I apologised to him and left the scene, even though he was very rude to me. 

My point is that I do understand that you wouldnt tolerate all the unnecessary visuals clashing with your logics, but making derogatory remarks in someone else's shop who possibly has been working their heads off to maintain the shop is just an immature attitude. You coulda asked the seller about the lights and opened a discussion about it hopefully end with a solution to fix the visuals on your computer. 

I seriously think we all should respect other people's work, at least we can try to see the other side of technology, esp as far as SL is concerned... and let me tell you that angry customers are one thing that sellers have to deal with, but insulting customers are just....come on

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Medhue Simoni wrote:

Irreguardless of how Gadget presented or handled the situation, it does make sense to check other settings, besides the lowest. It would be extremely bad advice to only view your product with low graphic settings. A creator that makes items only for low-end computers, is guaranteed to sell less and make less money. Why? This should be obvious, but a person with a low end computer is going to have much less cash to spend than some1 with a high-end computer. Now, of course, there are exceptions for every rule, but on average, this will be true.

Can't argue with the first sentence at all, I posted earlier in this thread that it is a good thing to do. It would be just as foolish for a builder to cater only to low end graphics users as to only built for high end.

However I'll give you a huge argument on your second assertion because it is not obvious or even logical.  Where did you get your facts?  Please give us a source for this conclusion based on actual figures and not just you own opinion.  The reason I am asking is that it goes counter to everything in RL. Walmart is one of the biggest and most successful stores in the world and they cater to lower income people. 

Medhue Simoni wrote:

As I said, there are always exceptions. I have also never argued that if you don't have a Premium account, then you are freeloading. I'm simply stating the facts, as I see them, and giving sound theoretical advice. It doesn't make any sense at all to ignore people that have higher end pcs. Plus, it also comes down to the knowledge of the user. A high end desktop is extremely cheap at this time. You can spend $400 on an off the shelf pc, and then drop a $150 graphics card in. That's $550 for a pc that can run SL on High, or even Ultra. Of course, I understand that not every1 can even afford $550 for a pc, but the cost difference between a high end and low end is practically nothing, compared to 10 years ago.

What I see going on in this thread is quite typical of many threads. Very few people concentrate on the actual topic, and instead want to respond emotionally. Although I would agree that the OP was not very sensitive or graceful about the topic, but this does not errase the point Gadget is making, which is very valid.

Again, it would be foolish for a builder to ignore high end graphics users and I don't see anyone on this thread saying this.  What they are objecting to is that a builder should ONLY build for high end users which is basically what Gadget's message is.

As for computers, you are right that you can buy a pretty good machine now days for a lot less.  However you are assuming that $150 is nothing to worry about.  That if you can come up with $400 you can come up with $550.  I think you need to reevaluate that.  I'm glad $150 is nothing to you, but it could be a weeks groceries to some people, or shoes for their kids.  People have RL priorities they rightly put ahead of SL ones.  You also assume that people are buying a machine just for SL.  I guess you can't conceive of a family that can only afford one computer and that computer is primarily for their kids to use for education but is used by the parents when the kids aren't using it for inexpensive entertainment in SL They can take 10 bucks and go to a movie and be entrained for a couple hours, or take that same money and buy cool things, maybe even in your shop, or pay tier for a month that provides them with hours of entertainment a week. Sometimes machines break down and have to replaced immediately for the kids sake and the parents must buy what their budget and priorities can afford.

Lastly the point Gadget made is not valid.  I quote his main contention :

It almost makes me wish SL disabled building unless you have your graphics settings at least set to high...

This coupled with past posts he's made  that basically say that if you don't have a high end machine that you shouldn't be in SL, which
are familiar to many who responded to this thread,
interprets as: You shouldn't be allowed to build unless you own a machine that can run graphics at high and if you can't afford one too bad.  The elitism of his point and his overall rude and obnoxious way of dealing with that builder is what people are responding to.  And that is entirely on topic.  If his point was just to be sure that your builds look good in all settings he could have said that without all the back story elitism and gloating.

Never did I imply that every1 can afford a computer suited for SL, and I actually was sympathetic to people without the money to spend on a new PC. I personally need a higher end PC for what I work on now, which is not SL, and just can't afford to spend the money, and this is my business. So, I do have some sympathy.

The rest of what you said only supports my assertion that a user with a higher end PC is more likely to have the money to spend in a virtual world. I did not assume any1 got a PC just for SL. What I was implying was that some1 that is going to spend alot of money inside SL, is likely to also spend money on a machine that is suited to SL. The computer is a reflection of how important SL is to them. I'm not saying that those with low-end PC's don't care about SL, I'm just saying that it can generally be assumed that those with higher end PC's value this platform a bit more that those with lower end PC's, generally speaking. I gave no stats, it's all based on just generalized logical conclusions.

As to how Gadget worded things, or his opinions, I never said that I agree with his last statement.

Mickey Vandeverre wrote:

"A creator that makes items only for low-end computers, is guaranteed to sell less and make less money. Why? This should be obvious, but a person with a low end computer is going to have much less cash to spend than some1 with a high-end computer. Now, of course, there are exceptions for every rule, but on average, this will be true."

Not sure where to start on that. 
:)

you might pick up a copy of an older book "The Millionaire Mind"  and review on how people with money spend cash.

when I arrived here, everyone I met was on a laptop.  I generally made friends with business people because I was selling luxury homes.  200 bucks to 400 bucks.  (that was 2007)

They were on laptops because they were busy people and mobile all day and into the night and while traveling.

I'm sure some were on laptops that you would call "low-end"...because they were "playing."

They've all moved on, and doubt that they could function at all now, mobile.  SL has become very difficult for a laptop user.  Shame, that.  Large population.  and large population that you sort of insulted. 

where did you pull those stats from? 

Who is talking about millionaires? Those are a whole different animal.

As for everything else, see my comments above.

No offense to all those arguing with me, but I think you all are forgetting what the words "generally" or "generalization" mean. What it does not mean, is that every single case is going to fit the example. To refute a generalization, it is you that should give real world stats. I've said many times now that these are my generalized logical conclusions. Your opinions, observations, and conclusions do not refute my assertions, they just state your own assertions that differ from mine. Which is fine, but don't act as if you have refuted anything.

When we are talking about business, it is all the solid stats that we can gather, and our own logical generalizations, that we have to rely on to make decisions. This is looking at the business as a whole, not on a personal basis. It would be wrong to rely on those generalizations when dealing with each individual customer. When talking with your peers about business strategy, it is perfectly fine to do so.

Medhue Simoni wrote:

Mickey Vandeverre wrote:

"A creator that makes items only for low-end computers, is guaranteed to sell less and make less money. Why? This should be obvious, but a person with a low end computer is going to have much less cash to spend than some1 with a high-end computer. Now, of course, there are exceptions for every rule, but on average, this will be true."

Not sure where to start on that. 

you might pick up a copy of an older book "The Millionaire Mind"  and review on how people with money spend cash.

when I arrived here, everyone I met was on a laptop.  I generally made friends with business people because I was selling luxury homes.  200 bucks to 400 bucks.  (that was 2007)

They were on laptops because they were busy people and mobile all day and into the night and while traveling.

I'm sure some were on laptops that you would call "low-end"...because they were "playing."

They've all moved on, and doubt that they could function at all now, mobile.  SL has become very difficult for a laptop user.  Shame, that.  Large population.  and large population that you sort of insulted. 

where did you pull those stats from? 

Who is talking about millionaires? Those are a whole different animal.

As for everything else, see my comments above.

a whole different animal than who?  or whom?  people who use a scrap laptop to play around a bit?  separate from their business set up?

perhaps not.

I will go above and read your comments.

ok, your comments...

"Never did I imply that every1 can afford a computer suited for SL, and I actually was sympathetic to people without the money to spend on a new PC. I personally need a higher end PC for what I work on now, which is not SL, and just can't afford to spend the money, and this is my business. So, I do have some sympathy.

The rest of what you said only supports my assertion that a user with a higher end PC is more likely to have the money to spend in a virtual world. I did not assume any1 got a PC just for SL. What I was implying was that some1 that is going to spend alot of money inside SL, is likely to also spend money on a machine that is suited to SL. The computer is a reflection of how important SL is to them. I'm not saying that those with low-end PC's don't care about SL, I'm just saying that it can generally be assumed that those with higher end PC's value this platform a bit more that those with lower end PC's, generally speaking. I gave no stats, it's all based on just generalized logical conclusions."

I'm not sure that sympathy is in order.  Empathy maybe.  On several different layers, both merchants and customers and people that just play around or all.  We are all tied together.

I do not believe that a user with a higher end PC is more likely to have money to spend, in fact, I believe the opposite.  I don't believe that the cost of a computer has a correlation with the user's value of or commitment to SL.

I do not think that your conclusions are logical.

@couldbe - thanks :)  (probably a short term technical glitch)

• 1 month later...

I think you are speaking of something like the Lumipro system to light and pose avatars for photography. Some hair also has lights built into it. i use it all the time for photos and remind models to remove them afterward hahaha. Modifiable, wearable lights are GREAT for portraiture but otherwise hmmm not so good.

Your assumption that people build at low graphics settings is just that, an assumption. Perhaps the builder in question has different tastes and happens to like everything lit up like Times Square on New Year's Eve. I am not being cheeky ... merely pointing out that there are myriad tastes and sensibilities in SL and if one does not like something or some place for aesthetic reasons, one need not purchase or go to a place that does not appeal.

A friend of mine once purchased a no mod floral arrangement that was set to full bright, and decided to set everything else to full bright ... house, decor, landscaping ... it was actually a rather neat effect, if one likes their entire parcel glowing like a beacon, and she did not keep it that way for long, it was more of a lark for her.

If I am building at low graphics settings, I turn them up to see what the item looks like at higher settings. In general, the viewer I use has very good graphics, low settings with my viewer closer resemble high settings with other viewers, so there is no need to turn it up to ultra all the time, and usually I reserve that for taking photographs.

Regardless, if I find something to be ugly or annoying in SL, or glaring, I tend to bite my tongue and think well yes, that is hideous to me, but someone obviously likes it. De gustibus non est disputandum.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4186 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.