store question

friscolives

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4212 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am planning on selling some items I created on SL. I rented a store front at one of the sims, and basically want to sell creative writing--short role play fiction that related to the over all theme of the sim. I know I can sell it in the marketplace, but not quite sure about how to do so in a store front.

I have seen many items being sold at the various stores. People simply click them, a menu pops up telling them to pay, and everything is automated. I want to do the same with my products, but a little foggy on how to go about it.

Is there any links to point me in the right direction. I've heard about magic boxes and items "migrated to the marketplace" and all, but its a new lingo to me.

Any help is appreciated.

You will have a hard time selling text products (no matter the star quality of them) in SL.  You could arrange to sell them as notecards or picture-based flipbooks, but the problem you'll face is that SL is a visually-dominant medium, people simply do not want to read, they want to wander, click stuff, and be part of shared experiences.

But if you can minimize text and emphasize illustrations (which can even be made within SL themselves, enacted by avatars for example) - basically think "comic book" rather than regular story,  then there'll be much better chances for success. 

The technical part is the least difficult, you use the "For sale"  checkbox on the object (say a box) that contains your comic inside it, and set it out for sale.  Those "automated" sale things you see in shops are done with a simple payment script. There are many for free on marketplace but if you have trouble, I made one for my own usage and you are welcome to have it by IMing me if desired.  Good luck!

The places that I have seen writing sold is in one of two basic ways:

1.  The story, writing, etc. is written or copied onto notecards.  The notecards are then placed in some type of a prim.  The type prim used for this that I see most often is a bookcase.  Edit the prim/bookcase and tick "For Sale" then enter the price.  There are 3 selections below that - you would want to tick the sell contents selection. (Trying to think through this without being online...lol.)  This will sell whatever is inside the prim, ie. the notecards.  On the bottom left of this first edit window there is a drop down that determines what happens when someone clicks the prim - select "Pay."  Once this is set up, a person can click the bookcase/prim and a panel will come up with the price of the notecards and the option to buy or cancel.

2.  The other method is to create a book for your writing and sell the book itself.  You can either create the book itself, or use THinCBooks or Intellibooks - both sold in SL.  I'm not as familiar with the Intellibooks but with the THinCBooks you either have to buy each book individually to sell (it has transfer permissions) or purchase a "Printing Press" which allows you to make as many copies as you like.

If you're just starting out selling on the Marketplace, then you will want to use Direct Delivery and don't worry about all the Magic Box/migration talk for now. *Smiles*

Feel free to IM me in world.  My instructions here may have been as clear as mud.

Good luck to you.  (I love writing myself.)

ETA:  You might want to check out some of the writing groups in SL.  There are groups for creative writers, poetry groups, book reading groups, etc.  Within one or more of those groups is very likely someone who has sold writing in SL.  Where I have seen this most is within the Caledon sims.  They have a library, reading groups, etc.  That is where I saw "books" for sale just last week when I was looking at store layouts of small shops to get ideas for mine.

People have already given you good suggesttions. You need too think about promotion, too.  People see your bxes, probably with story illustrations on them.  Will that be enough to get people to buy?  

You could put out a simple slide show with pictures and text panels from the story.   Then people could see part of the story for free.  If the story is interesting, that might get them to buy.

You could also have textures floating up from the box (with particle effects).

TKR

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4212 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.