I have not been able to log in to SL for weeks. I have tried several locations. It just says ( darn

jjhandytoo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4088 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

It just says ( Darn you have been logged out of sl. This region may be experiencing difficulty. Please check your internet.)

My internet is fine and I have tried several locations. I have a great graphics card and my computer has a AMD phenom II x6 processor with plenty of ram. Very fast machine. I have seen others are having the same issues.

What can be done here?

Please help!

I have a AMD Core R6670 XFX with 2 gb of memory. I did fine on SL with just the onboard Graphics card before i got this one. So I don't think this is the issue.

My viewer is the standard SL but I have also tried Phoenix with the same results. My internet is directly plugged into the computer with the Ethernet cable. I have tried to restart my computer and modem. I have also tried other forms of internet service to no avail.

I did also clear the cache

Any other ideas?

everything was updated after the new card went in and the onboard was disabled.

SL did update for the new card.

You cant change the HTTP unless you get logged in which i can not

I was not able to clear the roaming

Where would i see the computer sprcs on SL viewer if i cant log in?

Also it will just freez for several minutes before it shows the log out message.

All this started way after i put in the new graphics card. It also happened once before i put in the new card. It finally started working after i deleted the viewers and reinstalled a different viewer. Any other viewers i should try?

I am very frustrated.
:( I want to get back on and see my friends.

Here is the specs you asked for and thanks!

I guess i am logging in sometimes. It will ask to close or view chat. There are some chat messages that show up like a landmark offer or what friends are online. Mamma alpha update AO updates etc.

I am not sure about the PSU

Hope this helps and thanks for spending the time  to help this frustrated woman.

One other strange thing is i can hear the local music untill i close SL

Sorry i was not on line this weekend

I did disable the onboard graphics card.

I did update the PSU

Here are the specs on the computer from SL viewer.

CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T Processor (2812.43 MHz)
Memory: 12286 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6670

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0010.1140
OpenGL Version: 4.2.11762 Compatibility Profile Context

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v6.4.1
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Built with MSVC version 1600

14 answers to this question

Unfortunately telling us you have a great graphics card and your internet is fine doesn't really tell us very much. What graphics card do you have, are you using wired or wireless connection (wireless can cause problems due to interference) and what viewer are you using? Also, open the login screen (without logging in), select Help > About Second Life (or whatever viewer you are using) and then copy/paste the contents of the window into a reply here using Options > Edit to the right of your post.

I see logging in to another region hasn't fixed it so try deleting the Second Life folder in AppData > Roaming and then restart your computer and relog. Second Life will create a new default folder. I've seen this work for some people faced with a similar issue.

Windows XP - C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\SecondLife
Windows Vista - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife
Windows Vista Home Premium - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife
Windows 7 - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife
Windows 7 - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\SecondLife\ (Viewer version 1.23.5 (136262)

You could also try resetting your router. Unplug it for a few minutes and then reconnect it.

Another possibility is you're having difficulty with HTTP textures so disable that in the Develop menu and see if that stops the crashes.

• Like 3

jjhandytoo wrote:

I have a AMD Core R6670 XFX with 2 gb of memory. I did fine on SL with just the onboard Graphics card before i got this one. So I don't think this is the issue.

My viewer is the standard SL but I have also tried Phoenix with the same results. My internet is directly plugged into the computer with the Ethernet cable. I have tried to restart my computer and modem. I have also tried other forms of internet service to no avail.

I did also clear the cache

Any other ideas?

Did you disable the onboard graphics when you installed the new card?

Did you upgrade the PSU same time or was the existing PSU sufficient?

As for other ideas, yes I do have two. First is you could post the computer specs from the SL login screen as I requested which at least will tell us if SL is recognising the new card or former integrated graphics.

Second is I asked that you delete the Roaming folder in AppData not clear cache (save any chat files first you want or rename the folder and do that later). Did you do that?

• Like 1

jjhandytoo wrote:

everything was updated after the new card went in and the onboard was disabled.

SL did update for the new card.

You cant change the HTTP unless you get logged in which i can not

I was not able to clear the roaming

Where would i see the computer sprcs on SL viewer if i cant log in?

So what about the power supply (the PSU)?

I did say how to obtain the computer specs without logging in in my first reply, i.e. "open the login screen (without logging in), select Help > About Second Life (or whatever viewer you are using) and then copy/paste the contents of the window into a reply here."

I didn't say delete Roaming, I said delete (or just rename it for the moment) the Second Life folder in Roaming.

Please clarify also whether you are able to log in or not, even if only for a second or so, as the message says it is logging you out so it can't log you out if you're not logged in. What exactly happens when you try to log in?

• Like 1

Well, we can keep trying to solve it. :) Hopefully others can add ideas as well.

Your specs look great. I don't see any problems there.

However, I still need you to either delete or rename the SecondLife folder in Roaming then restart your computer and try logging in. If you just want to rename it right click on the folder, select Rename and add_old to the end of its name. You can then come back later to it and drag the chat files you want to keep over to the new folder.

One other idea came to mind. Inexplicable crashing immediately on login can occur due to an incorrect character in a group tag. If you can log in for enough seconds for you to select Groups and set to None that may solve it. If you don't have enough time and it looks like you don't, you will need to contact the group owner, explain the situation and ask that he/she remove you from the group. Do you have an alt account? If not, create a new one and see if you can log in with her. If so, she can contact the group owner or if you wish I can do it if you know what group tag you were wearing last time you logged in.

EDIT: Try logging in using a Text Only Viewer like METABolt or Radegast to log your avatar on.. If successful, select the no group option and remove any unneeded objects, logout and try the full SL client again.

http://radegast.org/wp/

http://www.metabolt.net/

• Like 1

There is a very easy solution to this. It's probably just the open notifications that are making your viewer crash. Just do this:

1. When you get the "Darn. You have been... etc." message, don't click on "Quit". Click on "view IMs" instead.

2. On the upper right corner, you'll see the "Notifications" button: it's a little rectangle resembling an envelope with the number 994 (that's the number of open notifications when the viewer stops counting). Right click on it and click "Close All". You'll need to wait a few seconds until your computer deletes the open notifications. (If your viewer crashes while doing this, try it again in some protected region like Smith. If you still crash, try closing manually a few notifications. But probably you won't need to do any of this.)

3. Quit and relog.

This should fix it. After that you only need to remember closing the open notifications from time to time!  :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4088 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.