these are hard times and we all know it

XXXStud Rasa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4204 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ummm, Jeanne, military strength and economic strength are two completely different things. And I disagree you on a couple of levels about a weaker america being better for everyone, unless you meant a weaker US GOVERNMENT would be better. Then I fully agree. As for the bullying, well, we are nothing but NATO's pet rottweiller.

Due to global economic ties, any country becoming economically weaker will slow down the economy of the world. Especially when that country is based on consumerism, like America is. In terms of the world economy, we are the wimp who refuses to even compete. We tend to over-regulate, have a convoluted and ineficient taxing system, and a history of signing one-sided trade agreements that are certainly not in our favor. Our politicians look at globalism like it's the new god, and repetatively sell the rug from under our feet. Our government has grown now to the point that it is larger than our private sector. The rapidly ballooning deficit combined with devaluation of our currency in the forms of inflation and "quantitive easing" have our economy so unstable right now that nodody wants to spend, or invest in anything. they don't want to save, either, because any earned interest that will not be eaten up in taxes will be ecipsed by inflation. Combine that with rapidly declining middle class, both in population percentage and in net worth, along with the increased disparity between social classes, and little motivation to work to better yourself comes from anything other than your own personal pride. The slowdown in our spending is felt worldwide, and is forcing several other countries to keep a watchful eye on us, and adjust their economic strategies to compensate for our decrease in spending power.

As for the military... I think that the young men and women who enlist are often used and abused by government officials in pursuit of their own personal agendas. Not just in the US, or in a select few countries, but in nearly every country which has any form of military force. In mosts instances, the military is deployed either by duping the public into thinking there's somehow a benefit to them, or in spite of the public's wishes.In the case of America, if NATO or the UN tells us to jump, our government asks how high. Often, it is quickly forgotten that an idea originated by NATO or the UN, and all that's remembered is the American involvement. The last war that the US has honestly had any real victory in was WWII. Until then, America was a "seperatist" country, focused on our own wellbeing. Remember, WWII was something we planned to stay out of until the surprise attack on Pearl Harbor. Since then, our military has been sent to what seems like every little squabble in the world that wouldn't have any effect whatsoever on America if it wasn't for members of our military being sent there to die or come back with some form of trauma, ptsd, or permanent injury. Not to mention the money we waste. I am not against our military, at all. I just wish that its use and deployment would be limited to times when it is absolutely necessary for the interests and wellbeing of our country as a whole.

The government... Yeah, a weaker government is something I'm all for, everywhere. Not anarchy. But, let's call it barebones government. Large, powerful government is full of innefiency. And the stronger the government, the more demands of the populace fall on deaf ears. The more public money gets siphoned off to add to someone else's riches. And the more that the resources collected from many is used for the benefit of the few. The entire reason why America's wealth is declining, and people like Jeanne consider the US to be the bully of the world is because our government has outgrown itself.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Um...I understand Electronics, Jeanne, but thanks for the attempted clarification.

Don't know why you felt compelled to offer it: my comment was that the images on vacuum tube tv's couldn't compare with the ones we see today. The common understanding of the phrase 'can't compare' or 'couldn't compare' is 'nowhere near as good'.

When I read your 'vacuum tube' post, I thought you meant the CRT tube. The Jeanne wrote as though you meant valves (also called tubes), so I assumed that's what you meant. It turned out that you really did mean the CRT tube after all :)

But I don't agree with you about today's TV images being better that the images on CRT TVs. Today's TVs have much poorer images, imo. HD is a step towards CRT quality but it doesn't reach it.

Having said that, we in the UK used a different CRT system to the U.S., which I've always understood produced better picture quality, so maybe current TVs do have better picture quality that the old U.S. system.

When I got a 42" plasma TV, I was very disappointed with the picture as compared to the 32" CRT that I'd replaced. The immediate change made it very noticeable. But we get used to picture qualities and, soon enough, the picture was fine for me. Later I got a 50" plasma as well but it's no better than the 42". I'm told that LED screens are the best quality, and they may be. Whether or not they reach the quality of CRT screens, I don't know, but I'm certain they don't surpass it. I see them all in shops and I haven't yet noticed one that equals a CRT screen.

What is better is the large screen sizes that we can have without losing picture quality. We'd hate to watch large screens if they used the old lines method.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

I picked an admittedly bad example, picking something based on electronics. Because things change SO fast in that area, you can never really compare. I have watched vacuum tube televisions. The images couldn't compare to the ones we see today (not that all of that has to do with vacuum tubes v transistors). Did they last longer? Dunno. Were they better made? Possibly. Certainly a great deal more hand work went into them. And yeah, to get something made involving that much labor would cost a bundle today—your estimate's probably on the conservative side.

I think I'm derailing the derailment here :-).

ya it wasn't actually about tv's more than it was the U.S.making things and having jobs..

picture quality really doesn't come into the equasion because tv was still pretty awesome just to have one back then lol

wow someone is in my living room talking from a box..now this is cool as it gets hehehe

and it wasn't just the labor ..but the craftmenship of thing..

some of those tv's..like say you may have paid 1,000 for one of the real nice ones that had to be installed in your house..hehehe

adjusted cost today would be close to alittle under 10,000 hehehehe

my main thign was ..there was a time when the U.S. was doing great and education was great and you didn't have homeless people..

there were drifters..but not homeless like we have today..

it doesn't realy matter what a tv went for back then compared to today..

the thing that made the difference is americans were paying americans for their labor and one hand was washing the other and everything was getting funds because there was a strong middle class..and nowhere near the amount of poor we have today..

it would still be like that today if we practiced the same things as when things were really good..

there is nothing wrong with imports..as long as they don't become the main source where we buy things from..

then those jobs are outside of the country and putting people outof work in ours..which comes back around to affecting other areas until we all feel it..

JeanneAnne wrote:

tvs & appliances use2 have vacuum tubes or transistors & capacitors etc .. now they have a chip .. use2 could fix em by replacing the bad components .. now they arent made to be fixed ..

personally .. i could care less where somethings made .. so long as i like it ..

why would we want the US to be 'stronger' ?? the US is a notorious international bully .. id say the weaker the US is the better .. for the sake of all concerned

even if manufacturing still took place in the US wed hav2 import mostuv the raw materials to make stuff outuv .. mining & growing raw materials just destroys the environment .. of course we all live on the same planet so wherever the environment gets destroyed it harms us all .. but it harms those who live closest the most .. id just as soon the destruction occured elsewhere altho in the long run it really doesnt matter

Jeanne

for someone that hates corporations and  to say  "why would we want the U.S. to be stronger"??.that kind of defeats the purpose of  your hate for corporations don't you think?

do you think that those corporations are helping this country to become stronger?

does anyone not remember 2008? hehehe

most think that  that all started in the bush era..when that actually started back in the 80's and came to a head in 2007 and 2008

since the 80's we have been heading this direction..

that is when life became about getting some scam of the american dream on credit and paying for it later rather than how it used to be done when we were stronger and saving for it and getting it a piece at a time..

people that had bad credit could now go 6 months straight with good credit and could apply and get a home..where before you had to have 5 years of almost perfect credit..that or a really good down payment to cover the risk..

when the american people are weak like this..that only means those corporations and government are at full steam doing what they want..when the U.S. citizens were strong and the wealth was shared..

we had some say and some strength..we almost had a political party in the running..that is how strong the people were at one point..

in 1972..my grandfather earned about 30,000 a year at a steal company..his house which was a pretty mice house..brand new home..it cost 30,000 in 1972..4 bedroom tri level 2 full bathes..

in 2004 the house sold for alittle under 400,000

new homes about the same size in a new subdivision less that two blocks away were going for around 250,000 to 300,000  that were slapt together homes..

i'm trying to think of a manufactoring job that pays 250,000  to 300,000 a year back in 2004..

when the housing market crashed and the banks and corps were folding  in 2008..

those jobs took a big hit and pay cuts and retirements taken away because of 401k investments being in the market on stocks..

right now they avg about 20,000  a year with overtime depending on the area...

how much weaker does it have to get for american people and workers before someone thinks it's about time to start working out?

hehehehe

with a president  of one party and a majority in congress of the other party..the last 2 years have been dead locked in getting anything done..a stall

our econemy happens to be in a stall as well just in the past two years..when we were making some ground the twoyears before that..

right now we have a republican canadate  that wants to head back to the trickle down economics plan to fix things..which will only have us heading deeper and right back into what wecame just came out of..

or we have a Democrate that is running for a second term which a good chance of republicans gaining more seats in the senate..

so it would at the minimum be another 2 years before we even started to spin our wheels..that is if we got a congress that would work with it's president..after these next two years..that is if the democrate wins the election..

so we are pretty much left with no choice at all right now of getting out of this mess..

you will be getting what you want for sure..a weaker america..but the bad thing that comes with that is a stronger government  over it's growing weaker citizens..as well as stronger  corporate  grasp..

when the people are weak the government can be a more free and loose to do the things it wants to do to it's people and country..

as divided as it's people are nowadays..nit picking over trivials..

they have it's people right where they want them divided and conquired..

they will be free to do what they wish..and it's people will see a lot more of what it's like to do without..

if things go well we may see something happening in the positive direction by 2020..

but if things are going to keep heading the way they are..we won' be seeing anything get better..it will onyl be getting worse..

good post solstyse

i dont see economic 'strength' as being a good thing .. the 'stronger' the economy is the more environmental carnage takes place .. the more raw materials are used up .. the more reduced carbon gets emitted in2 the atmosphere .. the more pollutants get dumped in2 the waterways .. the more stuff gets thrown away ..

all living things are entropy machines .. human economic activity accelerates entropy .. takes useful things & turns them in2 waste .. im all for a 'weak' economy .. for ppl staying home & living their lives w/ the minimum amount of environmental impact .. this is the real reason i like SL

for all the coal & methane that must be burned to power the servers & air conditioners that keep them cool .. & all the hundreds of thousands of pcs .. i think its better for ppl to be setting home in frontuv a monitor listening to music & pretending to dance .. than for them to be driving their cars to some rl club listening to a band w/ hi watt speakers .. & drinking & driving home drunk .. i think this is a net energy savings

as for the military .. i may have felt sorry for kids who were kidnapped against their will & sent off to kill & be killed back when they had a draft .. nowadays they enlist of their own volition so whatever happens to them is their own fault .. it sucks that its often poor kids or kids not smart enuf for college .. this type of exploitation is obscene .. but they still dont hav2 participate if they dont want to .. i feel bad for any bad thing that happens but im not really that sympathetic to those who have bad things happen to them due to the poor choices they made

the US is a Fascist corporatocracy .. it is an evil & exploitative socioeconomic system .. it is based on the fantasy of infinite economic & population growth on a finite planet .. it exploits both ppl & the environment shamelessly & unsustainably .. the sooner this evil monster consumes itself in2 oblivion the better it will be for every1 & everything alive .. some would say that a Fascist corporatocracy is a pathology of free market capitalism .. i say that its the inevitable & natural culmination of free market capitalism & that capitalism itself is inherently evil .. many ppl who post in this forum virulently defend capitalism ~& the toy capitalsit economy of SL~ as if their very egos depended on it .. i feel sorry for these ppl cuz theyve had their minds parasitzed by the very memeplex the corporate overlords who exploit them have indoctrinated them w/ via propaganda .. theyve drank the koolaid in other words .. & they resent w/ all their hearts any1 who would point out the truth to them .. theyre like the kids who willingly enlist in the military even tho it kills them .. its all very sick & the sooner it weakens & dies the better off any survivors will be

anyhow .. thanks for engaging in the discussion solstyse .. :cathappy:

Jeanne

JeanneAnne wrote:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

I have watched vacuum tube televisions. The images couldn't compare to the ones we see today (not that all of that has to do with vacuum tubes v transistors). Did they last longer? Dunno. Were they better made? Possibly.

are you kidding? vacuum tubes burnt out after a few score or hundred hours .. the 1st computers had thousands of vacuum tubes .. you started a calculation & 1 tube burnt out & you had2 replace it & start all over again .. vacuum tubes were big & got hot & represented a single switch .. now hundreds of thousands of switches are packed on2 a single chip .. all you oldbies nostalgic for the 'good ole days' need to get real .. the tech sucked in those days ..

Jeanne

i'm not an oldbie...i just happen to know that for that time..if you compared which time was more amazing  for technoligy..

i'll bet you it was a heck of a lot more amazing when tv's were first coming around rather than when HD first started to come around..

it was more of a leap then than it is now..so as far as sucking..i'm not sure you would find many back then that thought that way..

i'm not one of these people that say's..omg the old  rise of the planet of the apes was soooo much better than the new rise of the planet of the apes..

that is nostalgic..because the one today is way better as far as it being more realistic..

but back then i'm sure it was amazing for people to see it then..

nostalgic is more opinion..where  fact that when things were made ..the impact at the time does weigh into factor..

if you had this type of tech back then...you could bet  that it would blow away the exact same thing today..

because people gave a crap about what they were doing back then..because they were not spoiled like today..

they had pride in the things they made..their jobs were not just about the money..you have more doing what they wanted to do for a living rather than having to settle for what they can get today...

that is what happens in a good and bad econemy..

good you can get more of the wants in life..

bad you become prisoner to need..

JeanneAnne wrote:

good post solstyse

i dont see economic 'strength' as being a good thing .. the 'stronger' the economy is the more environmental carnage takes place .. the more raw materials are used up .. the more reduced carbon gets emitted in2 the atmosphere .. the more pollutants get dumped in2 the waterways .. the more stuff gets thrown away ..

all living things are entropy machines .. human economic activity accelerates entropy .. takes useful things & turns them in2 waste .. im all for a 'weak' economy .. for ppl staying home & living their lives w/ the minimum amount of environmental impact .. this is the real reason i like SL

for all the coal & methane that must be burned to power the servers & air conditioners that keep them cool .. & all the hundreds of thousands of pcs .. i think its better for ppl to be setting home in frontuv a monitor listening to music & pretending to dance .. than for them to be driving their cars to some rl club listening to a band w/ hi watt speakers .. & drinking & driving home drunk .. i think this is a net energy savings

as for the military .. i may have felt sorry for kids who were kidnapped against their will & sent off to kill & be killed back when they had a draft .. nowadays they enlist of their own volition so whatever happens to them is their own fault .. it sucks that its often poor kids or kids not smart enuf for college .. this type of exploitation is obscene .. but they still dont hav2 participate if they dont want to .. i feel bad for any bad thing that happens but im not really that sympathetic to those who have bad things happen to them due to the poor choices they made

the US is a Fascist corporatocracy .. it is an evil & exploitative socioeconomic system .. it is based on the fantasy of infinite economic & population growth on a finite planet .. it exploits both ppl & the environment shamelessly & unsustainably .. the sooner this evil monster consumes itself in2 oblivion the better it will be for every1 & everything alive .. some would say that a Fascist corporatocracy is a pathology of free market capitalism .. i say that its the inevitable & natural culmination of free market capitalism & that capitalism itself is inherently evil .. many ppl who post in this forum virulently defend capitalism ~& the toy capitalsit economy of SL~ as if their very egos depended on it .. i feel sorry for these ppl cuz theyve had their minds parasitzed by the very memeplex the corporate overlords who exploit them have indoctrinated them w/ via propaganda .. theyve drank the koolaid in other words .. & they resent w/ all their hearts any1 who would point out the truth to them .. theyre like the kids who willingly enlist in the military even tho it kills them .. its all very sick & the sooner it weakens & dies the better off any survivors will be

Jeanne

when things are made to last..you don't use as many resources as you do when things are made to be bought and replaced in an econemy that is based on labor as spending..

the more value to the money the more quality you can buy...more quality means less resources used..

in a weak econemy people end up buying more of the crap that  is chowing up resources..then have to keep rebuying because ..well the stuff was only ment to last a year or two and it was crap..

hehehe

i really dont know anything about tv Ceka .. my mom wouldnt let me & my brothers view tv so i never got in the habit of watching it .. i dont have a tv & never did .. all i know is that when they 1st came out they had vacuum tubes that were big & got hot & burnt out like incandescent light bulbs .. & they had a cathode ray screen that scanned horizontally so there were lines on the screen & the picture quality was poor .. ppl were constantly having to replace burnt out tubes .. maybe in those days ppl didnt realize how primitive the technology was cuz they didnt know any better .. & maybe in a certain sense those old tvs were 'better' cuz they could be repaired .. but i bet if ppl 2day had to go back to monitors & tvs like they had in those days .. wed really think it sucked

Jeanne

Ceka Cianci wrote:

JeanneAnne wrote:

good post solstyse

Jeanne

when things are made to last..you don't use as many resources as you do when things are made to be bought and replaced in an econemy that is based on labor as spending..

the more value to the money the more quality you can buy...more quality means less resources used..

in a weak econemy people end up buying more of the crap that  is chowing up resources..then have to keep rebuying because ..well the stuff was only ment to last a year or two and it was crap..

hehehe

i agree Ceka .. planned obsolescence is 1uv the fundamental flaws of capitalism .. but its an inevitable development .. having to buy the same thing over & over again cuz its cheap & breaks & cant be fixed generates more profit for the sociopathic corporation .. corporate greed pigs dont care how much damage they do to ppls lives or to the environment .. they only care about enriching themselves @ the expense of every1 & everything else .. its simply an evil system based on greed

Jeanne

JeanneAnne wrote:

i really dont know anything about tv Ceka .. my mom wouldnt let me & my brothers view tv so i never got in the habit of watching it .. i dont have a tv & never did .. all i know is that when they 1st came out they had vacuum tubes that were big & got hot & burnt out like incandescent light bulbs .. & they had a cathode ray screen that scanned horizontally so there were lines on the screen & the picture quality was poor .. ppl were constantly having to replace burnt out tubes .. maybe in those days ppl didnt realize how primitive the technology was cuz they didnt know any better .. & maybe in a certain sense those old tvs were 'better' cuz they could be repaired .. but i bet if ppl 2day had to go back to monitors & tvs like they had in those days .. wed really think it sucked

Jeanne

well ya if we had to be stuck with one from backthen..it would suck..

because we have this awesome technoligy that was builtup from that..

it's 50 years later hehehe..

and ya ..a lot of times if it was a tube..it was like replacing a fuse in the house..

and it's not really about tv's anyways..but more of a way of doing things and values..

you were not spoiled by tv back then..you probably spent more time outside or doing other things..

that is what i did...my father didn't let us sit around in the house..i have a tv..but it's more for my husband than me..i'll watch a couple of shows we have on dvd ..but for the most part we go out to watch movies..i hate tv really  LOL

i've always had chores to do most of the time..that and always had my horses..and still do..

heck i can't remember the last time i logged into sl..mainly because of the summer being here..

i just can't stay at the computer in the summer..

most of my posts in here in the summer came from my ipad when i was  hanging out on the boat or hanging atthe barn or something outside..

now it's getting cooler andi'm migrating back inside more and more..

JeanneAnne wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

JeanneAnne wrote:

good post solstyse

Jeanne

hehehe

i agree Ceka .. planned obsolescence is 1uv the fundamental flaws of capitalism .. but its an inevitable development .. having to buy the same thing over & over again cuz its cheap & breaks & cant be fixed generates more profit for the sociopathic corporation .. corporate greed pigs dont care how much damage they do to ppls lives or to the environment .. they only care about enriching themselves @ the expense of every1 & everything else .. its simply an evil system based on greed

Jeanne

i agree..and that is why i am in favor of people becoming more local dependant than so dependant on outside businesses..

it's one thing to wash hands with each other..it's another to spit in my hands and tell me to rub them together i might get what i want hehehe

stronger communities make for weaker corporations..

i'm a big fan of Russell means..

i like his way of thinking when it comes to community..but it will never happen in this country...

but hopefully it will happen for his.. =)

I see a dark road ahead for the USA, I can't say who and what has done it  because the post will be removed, so I will give a clue.

I can only say look at history at first 1812, then 1912, and now we are in 2012, all these dates are linked by the same group of people with the same agenda, the root is much deeper and goes back 1000's of years, it all started with gold, gold is a useless metal to us yet it has great value, it only has value so that we find it, then that group collect it, it is important that they control the money supply so that can draw it in when needed, very important now is that they control oil as that is another tool that can be used to draw it in, a lot of what is happening in the US and all over the world is the commencement of another drawing in, war is the best way to do this as you can just take it rather than trade it.

Solve the above riddle and you will find out who you are, lol.

JeanneAnne wrote:

Jeanne

Capitalism is the one system that frees people from poverty.  It's the system that's given women the opportunity for economic parity with men.  It's the system that has raised the standard of living for the entire world.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Yet you continue to spew this nonsense.   Either completely unaware of economics and history, or you have a serious agenda here to undermine those who like SL and that want to be here. 

You insult the other SL residents.  You insult those who risked their own money to start companies where you play.  You insult anyone and everyone who owns company stocks, and who wants to make money. 

You spend hours here trolling people and peddling your agenda like a broken record.  

Do you work in RL?  Or is this your job?  To deliberately try and undermine a particular company?  Because, there's not too many other places where you'd be allowed to spout the kind of propaganda directed to a companies customers' that you do here.  

When I was little - about five or six - I was very into cars. We lived near a church so Sunday mornings the streets around my house had various cars parked all up and down and I'd go out walking to take a look at them. At the time, about 1970...

(My SL avatar looks up at me. "Gosh, you're old...")

(Yes, I am, Theresa. Be quiet. Anyway...)

At the time, about 1970, a ten-year old car was like something from Mars. Most people traded in their cars every three years and warranties were 1 year. Now, I drive a 10 year old car with over 100,000 miles on it and it's not even a particularly great car, just a pretty average one.  You see ten, fifteen, twenty year old cars every day and nobody thinks anything about it.

Throughout history, 90% of things were and are crap. However, when we look back in time the historical crap is long gone and forgotten and we only remember the 10% of things that  were actually done well while we see the crappy 90% of the current world and think about how much better things were back then.

LOL, left and right are creations by the same mind, socialism and capitalism are the same, there is another way but the human race will not be allowed to take it, just like the big bang, all science leads to the same end "gods", light being a wave will in the end destroy the foundation of god so wont be allowed to be understood by slaves, plus the third way will destroy the need for gold.

Now dig holes and find some gold or ask to be paid in gold so some one has to dig a hole, lol.

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

When I was little - about five or six - I was very into cars. We lived near a church so Sunday mornings the streets around my house had various cars parked all up and down and I'd go out walking to take a look at them. At the time, about 1970...

(My SL avatar looks up at me. "Gosh, you're old...")

(Yes, I am, Theresa. Be quiet. Anyway...)

At the time, about 1970, a ten-year old car was like something from Mars. Most people traded in their cars every three years and warranties were 1 year. Now, I drive a 10 year old car with over 100,000 miles on it and it's not even a particularly great car, just a pretty average one.  You see ten, fifteen, twenty year old cars every day and nobody thinks anything about it.

Throughout history, 90% of things were and are crap. However, when we look back in time the historical crap is long gone and forgotten and we only remember the 10% of things that  were actually done well while we see the crappy 90% of the current world and think about how much better things were back then.

Theresa, thank you, thank you!    Exactly! 

Edward Demming tried to get American car companies to understand quality assurances, but they mostly shrugged it off.  So, he went to Japan and they took to it like a religion.  So, the Japanese brought competition and better made cars, to the US.  Soon people wanted to buy cars that lasted!  Competition intensified and now most people can buy cars that they can drive for a decade.  (I drive a 1997 Honda CR-V with well over 100,000 miles.  My older son has a 1992 Honda EX accord with nearly 800,000 miles.  It was passed from my parent's to my sister, to my son)

But, cars are just one example.  The antiques that we see today are the things that people deliberately took care of.  

Boudicca Littlebird wrote:

LOL, left and right are creations by the same mind, socialism and capitalism are the same, there is another way but the human race will not be allowed to take it, just like the big bang, all science leads to the same end "gods", light being a wave will in the end destroy the foundation of god so wont be allowed to be understood by slaves, plus the third way will destroy the need for gold.

Now dig holes and find some gold or ask to be paid in gold so some one has to dig a hole, lol.

Are you on drugs?  Because, your posts come from a very confused place.

i think you take a healthy approach to sl Ceka :catwink:

my husband restores old saabs & sometimes volvos .. he doesnt like electronic fuel injection & ignition .. or anything he cant work on himself .. he has it in his head that the scandinavians built quality cars & chainsaws & everything else is junk .. so when we were 1st married i had2 drive this ugly old saab hed rebuilt .. it wasnt very reliable so any time i had2 go anywhere id tell him to take the saab & leave me his pickup .. until he got sickuv that & bought me a newer volvo .. which i still have btw .. altho its getting old & having problems now ...

personally .. i think his attitude is silly .. he spends so much time dicking around w/ those old junkers .. i think hed be better off just buying disposable chinese cars & driving them til they die & junking them .. like every1 else does anymore .. but oh well .. guess he enjoys messing w/ those old cars .. or did til i took his garage away from him :cattongue:

Jeanne

Ceka Cianci wrote:

JeanneAnne wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

JeanneAnne wrote:

good post solstyse

Jeanne

hehehe

Jeanne

i agree..and that is why i am in favor of people becoming more local dependant than so dependant on outside businesses..

it's one thing to wash hands with each other..it's another to spit in my hands and tell me to rub them together i might get what i want hehehe

stronger communities make for weaker corporations..

i'm a big fan of Russell means..

i like his way of thinking when it comes to community..but it will never happen in this country...

but hopefully it will happen for his.. =)

russell means beat on his navajo wife .. did you know that? he got banned from the navajo nation over it

an example of planned obsolescence is these compact florescent lite bulbs .. when they 1st came out my mom bought 2 from the 7th Generation catalog .. they were big & clunky & expensive .. but they still work to this day !! theyre almost as old as i am ..

the 1s you buy 2day dont last much longer than the old incandescent bulbs did .. they figured out how to make em burn out so ppl would hav2 replace them .. there was not as much profit in making them to last 4ever like the very 1st ones did

my mom is all about having her ltl garden & her pet hens & buying locally & all that .. i agree that its not good to truck stuff thousands of miles .. but i dont really care where something came from or who made it or grew it .. i dont like nationalism & i dont much care for the USA in terms of our government & socioeconomic paradigm .. so im not all in2 that 'buy american' crap .. stuff made in the US anymore is no better quality than stuff built anywhere else & as i said in another post im all for a weak economy .. so i just want what i like & what works & whats reliable & could care less where it comes from

Jeanne

Celestiall Nightfire wrote:

Are you on drugs?  Because, your posts come from a very confused place.

i think youre the one taking the bitter pills CN .. seems like you cant do anything besides criticize other posters

Jeanne

I quickly skimmed the posts since I was last in this thread and I'll have to disagree about the quality of current things. I'd much rather drive a modern car than anything built when I was a kid in the 70s. The quality of the sheet steel used in modern cars is much higher than 40 years go, both for strength (allowing cars to get lighter) and corrosion resistance. Engine manufacturing tolerances are much tighter now, resulting in greater lifetime and higher efficiency. Modern cars are far safer. I'd not want to get in an accident with something that had no seatbelts, no airbags, a steering wheel that would impale me and an engine and transmission that enter the cabin on impact.

My Father was adept at fixing his cars (he had to be, they were always breaking). I'm not. But that's fine. My first car was Dad's 1965 VW, which was never driven in winter, until I got it in 1989. It lasted one year, with a lot of help from Dad, after which I got a Ford Escort which I drove for 16 years and 275,000 miles. I'm now over 100,000 miles on my Ford Focus. Neither of those Fords had any maintenance other than the routine gas/oil/tires and on the Escort, brake pads. Dad never had a car that worked as well until he bought a Honda Accord in the 90s. He would roll his eyes when people said "They don't make cars like they used to" and say "Thank goodness!".

By nearly every objective metric (spatial resolution, color rendition accuracy, brightness, motion artifact, lifespan, etc.) a good quality LCD television is better than a CRT, and certainly better than most of the cameras which record the imagery (what's the point of having a playback device that outperforms the recorder?). I've never owned a TV, so I haven't much direct experience with their reliability (other than seeing my neighbor tune her old TV with a pair of pliers, which Dad said was common practice, because the knobs often broke off), but I do work in the electronics industry and I know that the reliability of modern technology is better than ever. This doesn't mean you won't find junk on the market. We've always had junk on the market, but it doesn't survive long enough to be around to evoke fond memories.

As for losing manufacturing jobs overseas, that's been happening for a very long time. Japan eclipsed the US in shipbuilding long ago. Then Korea eclipsed Japan. China's goal is to eclipse Korea by 2015. But we survived the loss of shipbuilding by moving up to more sophisticated manufacturing which required more skilled labor. Now we're losing that too. But while we're lamenting the loss of manufacturing jobs to Chinese laborers, Terry Gou, CEO of Foxconn (the world's largest contract electronics manufacturer) has pledged to increase the number of robots used on his production lines from the current 10,000 to over a million within three years. That will surely toss thousands of Chinese laborers out of their jobs.

Do we really want to work under the conditions of those Chinese laborers, with the worry of robots looming over us? If we don't, then I think we have to understand where people can bring value on this planet and educate ourselves to offer that value. And there's the problem, we're not educating ourselves to compete. The future belongs to those who speak the language of progress, which isn't English, as we like to believe. It's math and science.

I understand the faux nostalgia we have for "simpler times", but it is colored by our natural inclination to forget bad things and remember good things. The past wasn't as rosy as we remember.

Wow, are they the original tubes, the chokes of them days were built to last, the tubes have mercury in them, the tubes last as long as the mercury can be a vapor, over time some condenses on the glass those are the dark lines at the ends as it get old, the very first ones had huge amounts of mercury in them and that is not allowed, they are only allowed small amounts and this determines the life, the mercury makes the gas conductive, so see it as a wire that gets thinner and thinner as more vapor condenses at the neck of the tubes, also is it the same starter, starters create a spike to start the current flowing in the mercury vapor, chokes delay the phase of one of the filaments so that there is a potential difference between the two ends that allows the current to flow though the mercury vapor and allows the gas to glow

Sorry for all that, lol plus it so relevant to the big bang thread as cold plasma is very similar, lol, but are they the original tubes?

Wow, are they the original tubes, the chokes of them days were built to last, the tubes have mercury in them, the tubes last as long as the mercury can be a vapor, over time some condenses on the glass those are the dark lines at the ends as it get old, the very first ones had huge amounts of mercury in them and that is not allowed, they are only allowed small amounts and this determines the life, the mercury makes the gas conductive, so see it as a wire that gets thinner and thinner as more vapor condenses at the neck of the tubes, also is it the same starter, starters create a spike to start the current flowing in the mercury vapor, chokes delay the phase of one of the filaments so that there is a potential difference between the two ends that allows the current to flow though the mercury vapor and allows the gas to glow

Sorry for all that, lol plus it so relevant to the big bang thread as cold plasma is very similar, lol, but are they the original tubes?

yeah!  theyre the originals & she mustuv bought them in like the early 80s .. & i know they still work fine altho iv not examined them to see whether theres condensed Hg on the inside .. i dont think there is tho or they wouldnt be putting out good lite ..

Jeanne

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4204 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.