Lost in the world of rotations

Tealthantos

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4234 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey guys.

Been trying to put together a turret script for a vice tank I've been building, I've got most of it sorted but however I've run into a impass when It comes to the prim acting as the spawn point for the cannon bullet, when the tank turns and I look in a direction I want the prim to turn to face the direction I'm looking in - however when I turn the tank and look, the whole prim flips and rotates based in the direction I've turned not the direction I've been looking in.

if(buf & AGENT_MOUSELOOK){llGetLocalRot();      

llSetLocalRot((root = ZERO_ROTATION / root) * llDetectedRot(0));

Is the script line, but I can't figure out why its flipping based on direction of facing of the root prim - feels like I'm missing something simple, but I can't for the life of me pick it.

I don't quite understand from the fragment of code what's supposed to happen -- in particular, it's not clear who is in mouselook or whose (or what's) rotation is being detected.

Be that as it may, this tutorial by Chalice Yao, over at SLU, help you do what you're trying to: http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/script-library/40698-kept-simple-rotate-object-towards.html

Innula Zenovka wrote:

I don't quite understand from the fragment of code what's supposed to happen -- in particular, it's not clear who is in mouselook or whose (or what's) rotation is being detected.

Be that as it may, this tutorial by Chalice Yao, over at SLU, help you do what you're trying to: 

Thanks, however that ended up not being the problem.

Turns out the prim was taking rotations from 2 points - camera and where the tank's camera was set.

Now I just need to figure out how to get it to ignore the tank perspective camera =(

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4234 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.