questions

zwagy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4236 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Can someone explain to me how to build with a free account?  I can't figure it out.  How can I contact that blind lady I read about somewhere on here, I guess in the blogs section, who is also mentally ill or challenged who had someone upload recrodings of her thoughts that were originally on cassette tapes?  I'd like to meet her.  Does someone else have to do everything for her?  I sure have a hard enough getting around in this place and I have a normal mind!  That last statement isn't to put that lady down.

You don't need a premium account to build.  You just need land that allows you to do that.  You can buy or rent land on a private estate without being a premium member.  Sandboxes are also an option.  Some are public and owned by LL and some are privately owned but allow people to build there.  Use search to find them.

As far as how to build,  there are all kinds of building classes you can take.  Look for them in events or go places like the Builders Brewery and join their group to find out when they teach classes.  There is also a self teaching tutor at the Ivory Tower Library of Primitives that I highly recommend.

As far as the woman you refer to, you will need to now her SL name to find in search and when you do you'll need to politely IM her and introduce yourself..  Keep in mind though that she doesn't have to respond or may wish to keep her SL private, which you need to respect.

zwagy wrote:

Hey, I also ned to ask you something else.  Sorry I forgot about it.  If I build something, can I sell it without having a premium account, at least on ebay?

No need for e-bay,and in fact that isn't a good way to sell anything SL-related.

Anyonne can sell what they make, in-world (by renting mall merchant space or having a store of your own on land that you own or rent), or via SL Marketplace (the web store that Linden Lab operates). I've never had a Premium account, and I have earned lots of real money making and selling things in SL. Mostly I sold textures for builders to use, and I offered custom building services, making anything from a custom home to a multi-sim university campus and everything in it.

What you will need, if you want to actually get any cash back into the real world for your efforts, is a verified PayPal account. That's the only normal way that Linden Lab allows us to cash out the L$ that we sell on Lindex.

I will warn you, however, that most 'work' inside SL pays far less per hour of effort than a mimimum-wage real-world job would pay. You could flip burgers at a local fast-food restaurant 10 hours a week and earn more real money than most people could earn with 20 hours of effort trying to make stuff to sell in SL, and selling the stuff. So if all you want is a way to earn L$ to spend in-world, you're better off earning real money in the real world, and just buying L$ with Pay Pal or a credit card, when you need them.

The few people that can earn a reasonable amount of spendable money in SL - as in more than the price of a meal at a restaurant once a week - are generally people with existing skills as texture artists, programmers, or 3G graphics designers. People with real-world skills that translate into the ability to make valued goods and services inside SL are fairly rare. Less than 1% of the millions of people who use Second Life manage to earn more money from what they do in SL then they spend doing it. Only a fraction of that 1% makes enough to be worth the time they spend doing it - as in earns more than a real-world minimim-wage job would pay.

Thanks for telling me that so I won't waste my money on this.  You need to know thought, that ebay accepts paypal.  So anything that is part of ebay that accepts paypal, you can customize your ebay account to accept paypal.  Teh only way I"ve seen so far to buy or sell land on here is to have a premium account, other thtan e-bay, but maybe I've not looked far enough.  However, now that youv'e told me that about not making enough money to be worth spending any, I'll forget it!  Thanks for leting me know before I waste anymore money. 

zwagy wrote:

You need to know thought, that ebay accepts paypal.  So anything that is part of ebay that accepts paypal, you can customize your ebay account to accept paypal.

PayPal is a wholly owned subsidiary of eBay, so that makes sense...

Teh only way I"ve seen so far to buy or sell land on here is to have a premium account, other thtan e-bay, but maybe I've not looked far enough.

You can buy all the virtual (main)land that you can find for sale on eBay, but unless you have a Premium account, you can't own it (unless you buy a private region, and good luck getting it actually delivered to you...).

zwagy wrote:

Can someone explain to me how to build with a free account?  I can't figure it out.  How can I contact that blind lady I read about somewhere on here, I guess in the blogs section, who is also mentally ill or challenged who had someone upload recrodings of her thoughts that were originally on cassette tapes?  I'd like to meet her.  Does someone else have to do everything for her?  I sure have a hard enough getting around in this place and I have a normal mind!  That last statement isn't to put that lady down.

go2 a sandbox .. open the build tools .. rezz a prim .. move, rotate or stretch it just like editing shoes to fit .. then slap a texture on it .. if you want it to move or do anything you need to attach a script & i dont know anything about that .. if you dont rent or own land to put your thingie you built on youll need to save it to inv .. or just delete it .. if you practice & get good @ building stuff you might find someone who wants to buy what you build .. but as others have pointed out .. it isnt worth your time .. get a job flipping burgers & just buy stuff that someone else has already built

Jeanne

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

zwagy wrote:

Teh only way I"ve seen so far to buy or sell land on here is to have a premium account, other thtan e-bay, but maybe I've not looked far enough.

You can
buy
all the virtual (main)land that you can find for sale on eBay, but unless you have a Premium account, you can't
own
it (unless you buy a private region, and good luck getting it actually delivered to you...).

Correct. Anything you buy on eBay is not yours in-world until the current owner transfers ownership to you. And as said, good luck getting that to happen.

Sounds like a very easy scam, use a bot to make eBay accounts, harvest some nice looking parcel names from SL's Google map and post them on eBay (never mind you don't own them, you never intend to deliver anyway), then cash the money before the complaints roll in and eBay tries to recover the money (not for you, Paypal transactions are not insured, they keep it for themselves) and blocks off the PP and eBay accounts.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4236 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.