Abandoned Land

Maneki Inshan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4242 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Welcome to Second Life Forums, Maneki

Some time during the past year (I can't remember the exact date), all parcels of mainland that are abandoned automatically go up for sale at 1L$ per square metre.  If you look around the mainland, you see some bizarre shaped and sized pieces up for sale currently too, which suggests no real person is actually involved with the turnaround of abandoned parcels now.

The parcels of mainland that were abandoned prior to this change still remain abandoned, and still become part of the process of being put up for auction.

Some residents might have special privileges, but in the case of abandoned land going straight back up for sale, that is carried out automatically.

What Echo said, but I do know that years ago if land was abandoned (which was MUCH rarer than now because a person could always get "something" for the land if even from a landbot) it sat around as abandoned land for a long time and showed up as purple on the map.  However, if someone who owned land contingent to the abandoned property wished to purchase it, they could contact LL and a Linden came out to check in person (yep, those were the days!) and would sell it to the neighboring owner.  That all took a bit of time so I doubt that is what happened in your case.  Just a bit of SL "history." ;)

Czari Zenovka wrote:

What Echo said, but I do know that years ago if land was abandoned (which was MUCH rarer than now because a person could always get "something" for the land if even from a landbot) it sat around as abandoned land for a long time and showed up as purple on the map.  However, if someone who owned land contingent to the abandoned property wished to purchase it, they could contact LL and a Linden came out to check in person (yep, those were the days!) and would sell it to the neighboring owner.  That all took a bit of time so I doubt that is what happened in your case.  Just a bit of SL "history."
;)

I remember those days when you could get a Linden out to see if it was appropriate to sell the land to a resident if they lived adjacent to the abandoned parcel.  I also remember teasing the landbots by lowering the price of a parcel of land little by little until it would get snapped up by one of them, usually at 1.2L$ per sq.m. (This was in the pre-Zindra adult continent times.)

Digressing a bit there, but wanted to join in with the nostalgia trip there. :matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

I don't think any dodgy dealings have gone on regarding the OP's recently abandoned parcel. 

I don't think anything funny went on here. 

Take this as a lesson.  If I had land I wanted to sell on the mainland, the first thing I'd do would be to contact all the other land owners on the sim and offer it to them.  You may not get what you want for it and have to bargain but that is better than getting nothing. If no one responds, protected waterfront parcels are more likely to sell too if you put them up for sale for a good price and have some patience. Of course if you have to pay a tier higher than what you think you'll get for it, then just try to sell it until the next time tier is due then abandon it as a last resort.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4242 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.