Edit Terrain Question: Can't remember how to select different lengths of land strips together.

ohn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4220 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I *think* I remember doing this before, but can't remember how. I want to select a non-rectangular section of land (selecting a strip of one length, then selecting an adjacent strip of a different length, etc.) ... I thought it was something like select the first strip, then hold SHIFT and select the next strip, but that doesn't work :(

Ideas?

4 answers to this question

You may have been selecting a parcel that had a non-4-sided shape to it. I don't think you can do a manual editing shape like that.

If you're dividing parcles you need to do them seperatly then join the parcels by dragging the section tool over both parcels and clicking "Join"

• Like 2

Irene is usually a very valued source of excellent information, but I can't for the life or me understand where she got the notion that all parcels are either square or rectangular. They can be any shape at all that can be built up out of 4m x 4m squares, and quite often are not the least bit a simple rectangle or square. Take for example any parcel that is adjacent to a Linden road. They usually have angled edges that look sawtoothed, because they are made of 4M stair-steps along the angled edges.

To answer the OP's question, I am pretty sure the only way to make a selectable area that is not square or rectangular is to select multiple square or rectangular areas, one at a time, subdivide each of them from the parcel, and join the pieces to make an odd-shaped parcel. That parcel as a unit can then be selected, and terrain editing effects applied to the whole parcel at once.

If, for example, you wanted to create a C-shaped mountain, you could make a C-shaped parcel by subdividing and joining about  8 separate selected areas, raise the mountain, then rejoin the mountain parcel with the surrounding parcel.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4220 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.