Tips on graphics settings for minimum CPU/GPU temperature

Rocky Riva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4241 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been running SL on on various Windows and now a Mac laptop. I lost a graphics card due to overheating a few years back and I am very conscious of the load SL puts on the CPU and GPU chips.

I would like to get the best visual experience for processor load, so in order to minimize the CPU/GPU temperature is it just a case of reducing the draw distance and setting graphics the  preferences to low, or are some of the custom settings more processor hungry? Also does a busy SIM put more load on the processors so rendering fewer avis would help?

Thanks

Rocky

This is problably not much help, but I run SL on a low spec Pentium M laptop with a ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 Pro - I think it's probably less than the minimum, lol, but it handles SL on Low gfx ok.  I don't generally play with the Advanced options too much as I find Low gfx is about right, but of course, if you lower the number of objects visible it will reduce the load on your CPU and GPU.  Most of the time during a SL session, my laptops fan is whirring away like a jet engine, lol.

All I would suggest is that you play with the settings and see what works for you.  The lower the sliders the better the performance but the worst SL will look for you.

What you say is very obvious, but not entirely true, at least it's not what I experience.

When there is not so much to render, the fps will go up. When I am in a laggy place I actually see lower temperatures for my GPU (my CPU is so well cooled I can't say anything about that). I'm sure certain processes will heat up your GPU and some will just slow it down. All too technical for me, but lowering the settings isn't always the solution.

@OP

There are so many variables, why not try out some settings and find a nice balance between looks, acceptable fps and heat? Plenty of programs you can use to monitor the temperatures realtime (for example speedfan), you can see the fps in the SL statistics bar (Ctrl-Shift-1) or just go by what you actually see on screen.

Rocky Riva wrote:

I have been running SL on on various Windows and now a Mac laptop. I lost a graphics card due to overheating a few years back and I am very conscious of the load SL puts on the CPU and GPU chips.

I would like to get the best visual experience for processor load, so in order to minimize the CPU/GPU temperature is it just a case of reducing the draw distance and setting graphics the  preferences to low, or are some of the custom settings more processor hungry? Also does a busy SIM put more load on the processors so rendering fewer avis would help?

Thanks

Rocky

i really wish i knew more about these issues .. im afraid im not much help but id like to share a few observations :

my brother recently built a new computer for me that was supposed to be customized for SL & other gpu intensive apps .. from the getgo it got VERY hot .. according to CPUID HWMonitor the Northgate core once got 93^oC !!

i took the computer outuv the desk & put it on top .. i installed 3 new fans in the case .. & i have a large fan blowing directly on the computer .. this .. along w/ the fact that the weather has cooled off a bit since July .. has lowered my core temps ~20^oC on average .. theyre in a more acceptable range now but still run high

i stream music via SAM & Icecast more or less 24/7 .. streaming doesnt heat the machine too much but as soon as i log in2 SL the temps go up .. i havent systematically took notes on temp differences in a crowded sim vs deserted one .. for instance .. or when dancing vs just sitting or standing .. i should do this .. but i do know that temps go up by as much as 20^oC when i log in2 SL .. i was having trouble with my computer freezing (ironically) when it got too hot .. & it only got to hot when both SAM & Firestorm were running @ the same time .. but my temps are staying a bit cooler & i havent been freezing

with my old computer i had graphics setting & draw distance all set very low .. i have them set higher now & maybe my puter would run cooler if they were slid down .. but i spent a lotuv money so that SL would look nice !!

i dont think that graphics are going to get much better than they are now until hardware engineers do someting radically different about heat dissipation in PCs ..

Jeanne

Taeas Stirling wrote:

You all should have a look at this Jira post to see it it might be the root of your issues.

please vote and watch while you can. this thing is months old.

thanks Taeas!  im having my brother read it .. cuz i never can make any sense of jiras .. maybe this bug is my problem !!

Jeanne

All i know from personal experince is .. as higher your FPS gets, as hotter the GPU gets. Why? Because in that moment it runs at maximum potential, so basicly it gives you best performance from it, like full throttle.

About CPU....i think this one just takes SL as it is from start to finish, so the tempterature remains kind of the same all the time no matter what you get in your screen.

I say this based on my Temps, i always monitor my temperatures.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4241 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.