I have a prem account home & wish to exchange it for another is it possible

OriannaBladeQueen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4212 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have a prem house, in the past was offered 3 designs now there are only 2 & have seen a house that I like, & feel would be a lot better suited for me.  Is it possible to exchange homes please.  The property is empty I know more people within this area in the one I live in ATM I know no one & not from the lack of trying.  Is there an exchange scheme, of some kind. Why is it not possible to exchange with another person or that SL offer the option of exchange to an area or another home we feel we would be more suited to.

Well Thank you all for your help & education into the matter i decided to abandon the house i was in & now have a wonderful new place so much nicer.  I just wish to thank everyone for their help... Have a great time on SL ~waves~

5 answers to this question

Why?  Because Linden Lab says you're not allowed to and they make the rules.  You can't sell or give away a Linden Home because you don't actually own it.  You are renting it from Governor Linden.  All you can do is abandon the one you have now and register for a new one of the style you like.  You can change homes up to 5 times a day, so just keep trying.

• Like 1

Welcome to Second Life Answers, Orianna

It does sound like a perfect and very simple idea to keep everyone happy, to just be able to simply exchange one Linden Home for another.  Unfortunately, at this time, Linden Lab don't do this; for one thing, they don't have enough spare staff to be housing managers, so everything is done via the automated system at the website.

As Rolig says, you must just keep trying until you find the right home for you.

Although, personally I would be inclined to  also submit a support ticket and make the suggestion/request for an ability to exchange homes, especially if you have a friend in the neighbourhood who is also looking to swap.  If you don't ask, you don't get. (Go via the "help" button at the top of this page, then look down the right hand side menu for "submit ticket".) 

If you were allowed to exchange your Linden Home with another member who has a Linden Home then LL would also have to allow that exchange to include some sort of money (in Linden dollars, of course) in the transaction.  I know you were not around SL when "First Land" was one of the big benefits of becoming premium so I need to tell you what happened back then.  As one of the perks of being a premium member you were allowed a one time purchase of a 512 sq meter plot of land on mainlant (those plots were generally confined to specific areas on specific continents.  The purpose of the benefit was identical to the purpose of the Linden Home benefit (to introduce a new premium member to land ownership).  There were no restrictions on what you could do with the plot of "First Land".  You could sell it, give it away, or keep it.  You could build anything you wanted on the land without limitations as long as you stayed within the 117 prim allotment that all 512 plots have.  In other words you could do as you pleased.  The problem was that back then land was much more scarce than it is today........512 plots of land were selling for much more than the $L1 per meter that the "First Land cost the new premium member.  It did not take long before the First Land benefit was exploited.  People would create new premium accounts, get the 512 plot of land, then immediately sell it for a healthy profit......enough to pay $9.95 USD ot cost for the first month's premium fee and put some real money in their pockets.  Those people were called "Land Flippers"........and they were rampant on the grid.  Real new premium members could not get First Land because the Land Flippers were buying them as soon as the the land was available......it was a very big bone of contention of most premium members.  That gaming of the system drove the price of land way higher than it was valued at.  LL tried to keep up with producing mroe land which, eventually, flooded the market and drove land prices down (that, to this day, still upsets many members here in the forums.......you get occassional threads and complaints about LL ruining the land market).  LL shut down the benefit because of the abuse.  Two or three years later they brought in Linden Homes...........with restrictions in place to make it impossible for another scam that the First Land wound up being (it wasn't LL's fault, it was the dishonest land flippers).  That is why you cannot exchange, sell or give away your Linden Home........other restrictions were placed too to try to keep the nieghborhoods more consistant.

You can't exchange your land with anyone.......give, sell or trade.  And that is the primary reason.  For what it's worth, I support that restriction 100%.  I was lucky enough to get a First Land plot back then.........but many or my premium friends could not.

• Like 1

If you want to live near your friends, Linden Homes are not the best option.

You and your friends can Abandon your Linden Homes, and buy 512 square meter parcels on the Mainland...there are many areas where several such parcels are available in the same region.  Or you could form a group, and donate your 512 m2 of free land tier to the group, then buy a larger parcel for the group and establish a commune, or your own little neighborhood.

To learn more about land in SL, come to my free class at Caledon Oxbridge University on Fridays at 5 pm SL time.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4212 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.