Changes to the jira.. hiding bug reports?

Innula Zenovka

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3978 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've just been reading this blog post, JIRA Update: Changes to The Bug Reporting Process

It is with some alarm that I learn, 

• All bugs should now be filed in the new BUG project, using the more streamlined submission form.
  • Second Life users will only see their own reported issues. 

While I agree the jira is sometimes misused for getting up campaigns, and also that the comments sometimes turn into debates rather than technical reports, the jira is astonishingly useful as a reference source for known issues and work-rounds.    

Where, if it wasn't for the jira, would people have been able to discover issues like SVC-8124, or find fixes for issues like Microsoft Skydrive crashing the viewer VWR-28843 ?

See also Nika Talaj's similar thread in the Server Forum. 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully someone in LL will see sense.  At least keep all reported issues visible - how will  we know what is a new bug and what is being worked through without some visibility.  No one wants to keep reporting what others have already reported (it's a waste of time for everyone) - or do you like to get hundreds of bug reports for the same thing.  Actually that won't happen because with this process I imagine people just won't bother and instead slag off LL to their friends instead.

I'm also currently helping a friend with a connection problem by looking at the JIRA current and solved issues, and it has proved useful in that.

Helping LL should be a two-way street - now it is one one-way I have to conclude that my input is no longer required.

Hitomi Tiponi wrote:

Hopefully someone in LL will see sense.  At least keep all reported issues visible - how will  we know what is a new bug and what is being worked through without some visibility.  No one wants to keep reporting what others have already reported (it's a waste of time for everyone) - or do you like to get hundreds of bug reports for the same thing.

This was my first thought as well. Not to mention that comments allow people with a similar issue to add more details on the troubleshooting. This really doesn't make any sense at all. Where is Rodvik? Has he even been seen in the last month or so? Whose idea was this?

Darren Scorpio wrote:

Hitomi Tiponi wrote:

Hopefully someone in LL will see sense.  At least keep all reported issues visible - how will  we know what is a new bug and what is being worked through without some visibility.  No one wants to keep reporting what others have already reported (it's a waste of time for everyone) - or do you like to get hundreds of bug reports for the same thing.

This was my first thought as well. Not to mention that comments allow people with a similar issue to add more details on the troubleshooting. This really doesn't make any sense at all. Where is Rodvik? Has he even been seen in the last month or so? Whose idea was this?

is this him? from yesterday ...

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/Whats-your-favorite-thing-about-Sl/td-p/1659329

Jeanne

Edt: message 8

When internal company politicians (you know who you are) start making decisions based on bad field data and emotions, things just go downhill. This really is the dumbest thing i've seen in post 2007 Second Life. I would certainly love to hear that they are reversing this until a better solution can be found. However, I think we have a solid 5% chance they will revert.

Could it be related to Storm?

Are they afraid they are going to be overwhelmed with bug reports by people who know something about computing and gaming?

When I filed my JIRA regarding my FPS collapsing, it took as I recall over two weeks before it ever got looked at.

Can we imagine what it would be like if a hundred people encounter the same bug with an update and all 100 report it!!!!

"Where, if it wasn't for the jira, would people have been able to discover issues like SVC-8124,...?"

This is an apallingly retrograde decision. It demonstrates contempt of contributors to the jira. It removes at a stroke a most valuable user resource. I seriously regret having put substantial effort into jira issues in the past, only to be met with such a dismissive response. There is clearly no point in doing so in the future. In answer to your question, it must surely be that they want to prevent people knowing about such issues. "Shut up and eat what's put in front of you!"

Perrie Juran wrote:

Are they afraid they are going to be overwhelmed with bug reports by people who know something about computing and gaming?

When I filed my JIRA regarding my FPS collapsing, it took as I recall over two weeks before it ever got looked at.

Can we imagine what it would be like if a hundred people encounter the same bug with an update and all 100 report it!!!!

I think you meant 'Steam'  - 'Storm' is what there is about this change.:smileyhappy:

Intriguingly Rod surfaced to comment on both the SLUniverse forum and the New World Notes blog in the last day - interesting timing.  Hopefully he will comment on the reasoning behind why we will no longer be able to view new bugs that are created.

Meh, this is just LL doing what LL does best; finding new ways to ignore the residents which fuel their weekend booze binges.

There's no more onus on them to actually work at the bug fixes now, they can sweep them away far more easily. And yes, there will be naysayers who disagree with my viewpoint, but hey, LL has comfortably provided you with a way to make that claim, without anyone being able to prove otherwise. The transparancy has gone.

It's that transparancy that we need. Especially from a company that has publically stated, that our views don't matter. It's THEIR business. Well, at least as far as Oz would have us believe anyway. 

Hitomi Tiponi wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

I think you meant 'Steam'  - 'Storm' is what there is about this change.:smileyhappy:

You are correct on both points.

Sometimes you've just got to hate marketing types ... it takes a LOT of gall to say that they're doing this to make it easier to submit bug reports!

It's as insulting to their users as politicians telling us that keeping political contributions secret makes the political process more open ... or arms manufacturers telling us that buying more weapons make the world safer.

The whole idea is, as every commentator has noted, an awful one, but at least they could be honest about it ... "We're doing this because we're tired of hearing you all whine about how our proposed fixes will make stuff worse... and anyway this is bad publicity that we're tired of supporting on our servers." But what they're forgetting is that SL is a user community, populated by many people who are quite sophisticated computer scientists, and their users really want to help them make SL a better world.

Meh, so they are kind of making official how it has operated for months. Much stuff already moved to the black box. Viewer changes come in with hidden JIRA issues or none referenced, so one is left to guess why some changes are made, and how important they are. There has also been a more frequent tendency to move public issues to private areas. These changes have already begun to impede even the most active outside projects, so perhaps users can look forward to more such exciting adventures.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3978 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.