Starting Over....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2911 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have had a recent run of bad luck...failed relationship, best friend quit sl, etc.  I am now kinda just driffiting around bored and wondering if anyone has some suggestions for a hangout or fun chat group that doesn't have to do with sex?

I am into a variety of things and have been in sl for over 3yrs.  Frankly, I wonder if it is a sign to go or not but I remember when sl was a blast!

SO if anyone has any suggestions, they would be much appreciated! :matte-motes-big-grin:

Welcome to the Second Life Forums.  This is the place to be if you want fun chat that doesn't have anything to do with sex (!)

You're not ready to quit Second Life altogether; you have just gone through a bit of a bad patch and need to take a few deep breaths and think about those very early days in Second Life and how far you have come.  Remember laughing until you thought your ribs had broken? Remember exploring certain places and how that felt?  Be inspired by what you know about Second Life already.  Start reading profiles and clicking on the links in their picks to find new interesting places.

But do have a rummage around these forums to see what inspires other people - mesh, pathfinding, machimina, exploring, photography, dancing, chatting, building, scripting, etc etc etc. You are NOT ready to go just yet.  :matte-motes-grin:

Hi Tonya

Im in a bit of a renewal phase myself - back in SL after a long break and having to rediscover what i saw in it back in 2006/7!

Most of my friends seem to have grown out of SL, but im finding that activities are good way to meet people rather than clubbing (which no longer grabs me).

Gove me a shout if you want to hang out - Ill be on SL tonight (GMT).

Good luck and hope you find the fun fairy again!

Arabella

Sorry to hear you had a rough time however I can totally relate to everything you've said in your post. I've been making a new start after taking a break and I just can't seem to get a footing! Everywhere I go to "hangout" seems to be full of people wanting to bump uglies rather than chat and hangout and I can't help but feel a bit Forever Alone when I see girlfriends shopping together or exploring together!

There must be other SLers out there who aren't concerned with just having pixelated sex, right?

Feel free to IM me in world though, as it seems we may want the same things out of our SL experience :matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:

• 2 weeks later...

While technically I have not started over I have however changed my attitude about SL. I think it happens to all of us to some degree that at first we are filled with wonder in this new world and become emotionally attached to the people of the opposite sex with whom we have become close to by sharing out lives with each other.

When chatting becomes boring I visit and explore new sims. There are so many mind-blowing places in Second Life that fill me with wonder that someone has the skill and artistry to create something virtual that has a visceral impact on me.

I try to stay connected with friends. I talk of things, SL, that we all can relate to. Other friendships encompass sharing of our real lives; they are and can be the most special relationships we can have in SL.

For what it is worth, when I do send a hello to someone I have already been struck by something; their avatar, their title, some animation they went through or something caught my eye in their profile. Complimenting someone or saying I also agree with something they have said in their profile is one way I engage someone.

I say hello in passing nearly every avatar I meet in Second Life. I do so because my first impressions of Second Life where that there were many beautiful places, but the avatars never said anything to me as they walked by.

I remember the kindness of seasoned citizens when I was new. I pass it on to new citizens, sharing something with them that may make their Second Life expereince more enjoyable.

I went through a phase of being a creator of things using the standard built in tools. I went through a decorating and customizing phase. Sometimes revisiting those phases will re energize me.

Letting go of expectations I used to have helped me enjoy other aspects of Second Life.

Good luck in your journey; Second Life, for me, is an integral part of my life; it has been a part of my life for so many years. I experience the world with the brain I have. I've become comfortable with the world as it is.

Insight Homewood wrote:

I say hello in passing nearly every avatar I meet in Second Life. I do so because my first impressions of Second Life where that there were many beautiful places, but the avatars never said anything to me as they walked by.

Insight, I have to say that your username suits you well. My first reaction to reading this was a nostalgic sort of, "Yeah! I remember how great it used to be!" in that the first year of my SLife it seemed as if everyone talked to everyone else. Then I realized, actually SL probably hasn't changed-- I just used to be much more friendly-to-everyone and less selective in who I interacted with. You've made me acknowledge my snobbery a little, and feel bad about it. :}

Tonya: Stay in SL? I just came back from a 4 month hiatus (RL, argh) and so many sims have closed and people drifted away over the summer. I even managed to rent the same 1/4 homestead I used to live on since it was still empty. I'm starting to fret I'll be the last one here when SL shuts down for good, like the girl in the back of the shoe-store who gets locked in at night when all the staff have gone home. :}

SL is still an amazing-crazy place with amazing-crazy people, it just seems there are fewer new folks bringing life inworld and reminding us older (er, more jaded?) kids that SL is beautiful.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2911 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.