permissions change once taken back into inventiory

Deedee Lyter

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4253 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You have to be very careful to always change permissions on rezzed items only, not on items (objects, animations, textures, ...) in inventory. Technically, this is because an object's permissions as seen in your inventory (a database handle pointing to an asset) are out-of-sync with permissions on the asset itself.  Changing permissions in inventory is sort of like changing the title of a book's chapter in the Table of Contents and expecting that to change the title on the chapter itself.

One way of keep track of which permissions have been set is to use the Advanced or Debug Permission display.  If you are using Viewer 2.0 or later, open the Build -> Options menu, and enable Show Advanced Permissions. If using an earlier viewer or a TPV that doesn't offer that option, open the Advanced menu and select Debug Permissions.  Take a good look at http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Debug_Permissions to see how it works, paying particular attention to the "slam bit".

There's certainly been some wierd stuff happening with permissions lately, but as far as I can see from the jiras about it they've all cleared up (and none of them were what you describe).

For what it's worth, I've a few times recently noticed items I've made apparently becoming untransferrable, but it's only lasted about 10 minutes or so.   It's as if the sim just can't retrieve the perms properly.    Clearly something's wrong, but I don't really know what to suggest to right it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4253 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.