Sign in to follow this  
Syan Bates

Question regarding VPN and Second life

Heya,

I'm not sure if this topic is in the right thread, so I'm just gonna try my luck.  Lately, I have been using my friend's wifi very often (He knows about it) and I'm pretty concerned about the aspect of privacy.  I have set up a VPN connection (Hotspot Shield) to "secure" my data transfer.  My question is, is it possible for the wifi provider (my friend) to be able to see my chats and instant messages on Second life?

Technically it could be done by anyone if they wanted to know your data that badly (think normal people are safe there)  Your friend knowing how to do it would be the question you should ask him... My guess would be that he doesn't

Don't know hotspot shield. VPN doesn't automatically mean secure. It depends on the encryption scheme used. For everyday use, any old encryption works, and is a good idea on any WiFi network that you don't own. Hotspots, friends' house, etc.pp.

With encryption in place, he shouldn't be able to see anything relevant. From the endpoint of your VPN to LLs servers is a different matter, though realistically the only people who could sniff there is law enforcement and ISP techs. Oh yeah and LL, but they can see the data anyway. :)

If you use third party VPN services you may also want to ask yourself how trustworthy that service is and who is running it for what reason.

vpn like hospot wont in the long run be much good to you regardless of how secure it is,many ppl use is and all report the same ip address

sooner or later one of those ppl will do something to cause LL to block that IP and your back to waiting for the vpn IP to be reset to something new again.

VPNs incur a performance penalty, not a benefit. If you think about it, it has to:

* Encrypt/decrypt traffic

* Route the traffic through a few extra hops to obfuscate the origin of the traffic

What if I don't use encryption? Sites are saying VPN improves streaming video like Netflix and Youtube since the VPN uses different routes from the typical users hence no traffic jams.