Question regarding VPN and Second life

Syan Bates

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3645 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Heya,

I'm not sure if this topic is in the right thread, so I'm just gonna try my luck.  Lately, I have been using my friend's wifi very often (He knows about it) and I'm pretty concerned about the aspect of privacy.  I have set up a VPN connection (Hotspot Shield) to "secure" my data transfer.  My question is, is it possible for the wifi provider (my friend) to be able to see my chats and instant messages on Second life?

Don't know hotspot shield. VPN doesn't automatically mean secure. It depends on the encryption scheme used. For everyday use, any old encryption works, and is a good idea on any WiFi network that you don't own. Hotspots, friends' house, etc.pp.

With encryption in place, he shouldn't be able to see anything relevant. From the endpoint of your VPN to LLs servers is a different matter, though realistically the only people who could sniff there is law enforcement and ISP techs. Oh yeah and LL, but they can see the data anyway. :)

If you use third party VPN services you may also want to ask yourself how trustworthy that service is and who is running it for what reason.

• 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3645 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.