Am I missing out in Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3123 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I really dont want to say this but i've been playing for a couple months and i think im bored of second life and idk why. maybe it has to do with me barely finding anyone in the sims other than the hot spots or what but idk why what do u do to keep ur self occupied and i love games like these chat, buil, explore so i can't figure out why i find myself bored >:(

SLtesterL2 wrote:

I really dont want to say this but i've been playing for a couple months and i think im bored of second life and idk why. maybe it has to do with me barely finding anyone in the sims other than the hot spots or what but idk why what do u do to keep ur self occupied and i love games like these chat, buil, explore so i can't figure out why i find myself bored
>:(

SL can be really lonely & boring .. especially if you just log in & wonder around & your friends arent online .. it can be fun exploring deserted sims tho .. going in ppls places & looking stuff over .. makes me feel like a ninja :P

seriously tho .. once in awhile when my sisters are DJing & the music & conversation is wonderful & the sim is gorgeous & every1s friendly & having fun .. SL can really be fun !! i guess that i tolerate hours of boredom for those times when something fun happens .. be they few & far between .. this is what psychologists call 'random schedule of reinforcement' & it conditions behavior strongly .. if you always had fun in SL & then suddenly never had fun anymore you would drop SL quickly .. but if you seldom have fun in SL but ever once in awhile you do .. you will keep coming back to SL on the outside chance that it will be fun 2day .. pigeons & rats & people are all alike when it comes to this ..

Jeanne

My best suggestion would be to have more than one interest in SL. Basically, when I went to SL I was looking for one partiular thing--let's say Bloodlines or some sort of vampire sim. I went there, but many times it can be quiet. I expanded my interest a bit, now I have maybe 3 or 4 things I look at, and I can almost always find something going on. I might go to Bloodlines and its quiet, then go to another interest (say GOR or Pandoras Prison or just some other interest) and ultimately there is stuff going on.

I've also cumulated a long list of friends and so forth, and there is almost someone on I can find and chat with.

I'm having a great time here.

The problem with the hot spots is this -

They are either clubs where you cannot even chat in local without idiots gesturbating ("WOOOO HOOOO HOOOO" with tons of ASCII glitter) or the G.D. host saying, "Welcome to club 69, enjoy yourself and don't forget to tip our Awesome DJ, Mr. Howie Feldersnatch". OR if it is some infohub with their established cliques talking about their heart conditions or how their teenage daughter just gave birth to yet another fatherless baby.

That crap gets old quick.

One thing you could do if you want hours of aggrivation is learn how to build, script, or whatever.

I built my own Erinly house in SL but it is never "finished". I mean it is complete but always a work in progress.

what i do is i slowly work myself up the career ladder until i reach a certain ammount of l each month and make my own places to do stuff i think be fun and i rp and i try to learn things and if you look around there's all sorts of group to make friends promote your art work discover unknown talents you have 

Rather the same way I feel about being at the mall if I don't have a reason to be there.  Pretty much everywhere is dull and boring if you don't have some sort of reason to be there--something you are planning to do. 

Unlike a game which gives some next thing to go and do, SL waits passively for you to decide what you want to do and then allows you to do it. 

SLtesterL2 wrote:

I really dont want to say this but i've been playing for a couple months and i think im bored of second life and idk why. maybe it has to do with me barely finding anyone in the sims other than the hot spots or what but idk why what do u do to keep ur self occupied and i love games like these chat, buil, explore so i can't figure out why i find myself bored

And then there are those of us, usually builder types, but not always, who enjoy solitude in SL.  I can be as social as the next person but I honestly have great fun sitting in my SL home; sometimes chatting via IM with friends but most times thinking up new projects or weeding through still-unopened boxes of items acquired viat hunts.

Oooo...there's something you might enjoy.  There are a skazillion hunts in SL where you go from shop to shop on a scavenger hunt of sorts.  There is a starting point to the first location, then when you find the hunt item (which contains a free gift - and some of the gifts are truly amazing!!!), it contains the lm for the next location.  Check out a hunt theme that appeals to you and give it a whirl. :)

This website should get you started:

http://slhunts.wordpress.com/

ETA:  I've met many people who became friends on hunts. Octoberville should be open soon (at least by Oct. 1.  That is an amazing sim with a HUGE scavenger hunt that is themed.  I've only done it once and it kept me busy the entire month.  I barely finished the hunt in time...and with the help of others I met within Octoberville.)

Yeah, I get totally bored in SL too. I do not have many SL friends and it's not easy meeting new peeps that have the same interest as I do and want to meet new peeps as well. That is one reason why I started to learn how to build. I also started learning photography and editing. So, I hop from one scenic sim to another snapping different types of photos. I am no pro yet, but it's fun and a great learning experience nonetheless. I participate in hunts and in weekly/monthly discount events or showcases. Also, You may want to check out Drama Libre. They host themed parties every Saturday from 7pm to 11pm. It's a ton of fun. They break down and rebuild themed sets each week and they do an EXCELLENT job. The people are super nice. I frequented there for like 3 months straight, but now I work too much on my projects during those times and don't get a chance to go.

SLtesterL2 wrote:

I really don't understand when anyone says they're bored in Second Life, but I imagine these are the same people who would also complain of being bored in real life. How on earth can anyone be bored? I simply do not understand this.

Every morning I wake up with a long list of things I must do (for my family, for myself), and there are things I ought to do, things I must do (for my family, for myself), and things I want to do. And then there is SL, which I can do when it's not possible for me to be out of the house, because of the time, because of family commitments, and I log in often with an idea of what I want to do, where I want to go, who I want to see, and I rarely stick to that plan. 

Having an umbrella often means it does not rain.

Having an outline plan often means I do not need one.

You are missing out SLtesterL2, but I do not know how to advise you.  No one can force you to be interested in things, but it sounds like you need to change your mindset, and look at things in a different way.

If you think you are going to be bored, you probably will be bored. If you have no interest in anything, or are inherently idle and wish others to entertain you, you will probably always be bored. 

And maybe Second Life is just not for you. Maybe you should be packing a map and a pair of pants and exploring the real world.

I can't speak for anyone else but i have been in SL since 2006.

When i first came in, i was sent to some place they send you before you are allowed to go into secondlife.

That was boring,i almost gave up, it was city block with no information and no way out.

I kind of thought they put you there to try figure things out yourself.

Anyway after about a month i was sent to another orentation island then later into SL itself.

My first order of business was to make myself beautiful, i looked like a dog compared to the girls i was seeing.

Then i looked for a house to rent,then i spent lots of time furnishing it.

It was nice but i found i had no privacy people came on my land trying to take my helecopter and jet ski.

So i looked into a homestead and found a nice one.

Also i had met a lovely girl on the web so she came into SL and we have been together 5 years now in SL

I started making clothes and opened a shop, then i started making skins.

So my SL life consists of our shop, and having the privacy of a private island to be with my love every night,,, even though the time difference is 5 hours ,we do manage.

But i do understand when one has nothing much to do can make sL rather boring so you have to find whatever it takes to keep yourself interested,and only you can answer what you find interesting.

Take some time, see if you can create anything, or meet people and if you are open to a relationship, then go for it.

Open a club, there are so many things you can do in SL,it's just a matter of finding out what interest you

nikita Jefferson wrote:

I can't speak for anyone else but i have been in SL since 2006.

When i first came in, i was sent to some place they send you before you are allowed to go into secondlife.

That was boring,i almost gave up, it was city block with no information and no way out.

I kind of thought they put you there to try figure things out yourself.

Anyway after about a month i was sent to another orentation island then later into SL itself.

My first order of business was to make myself beautiful, i looked like a dog compared to the girls i was seeing.

I'm impressed you stayed a month on whatever that pre-orientation island thing was and still stayed in SL! ;)  I began in 2007 and, iirc, by that time I was rezzed in or really near orientation island (the place with the talking parrot and volcano).  After leaving there I went to what I now know was Help Island.  I did the same thing as you - first set out to make my avatar attractive - except I was still on Help Island and didn't know such things as prim hair and clothes, AOs, etc. existed.  I spent 4 hours with the avatar sliders which included making system-type clothes.

I thought I looked pretty good - until the friend who had invited me to SL teleported me over to the rp sim where he lived.  ACK, ACK, ACK!!!!  All these women wearing gorgeous clothes with flowing hair and almost floating along gracefully when they walked!!!

....oopppsss...back on topic.  Your post took me back "when."

I have no idea where that place was, it was a city block with buildings, the odd car parked, no people, no instruction about anything.all i knew was when they thought you were ready they would open a portal to go to another help area. which eventually it did.

Hee hee yes i made my avy too with the sliders, i was really quite ugly but it was the best i could do.

I guess i stuck it out because i wanted to see what SL was all about

A big part of the experience is finding a community you feel comfortable with and fun tings to do. I would take part in some of the hunts that content creators and merchants do. It's fun finding the prizes, a great way to explore, find new places and stores, and get nice free stuff for your avatar and home. You also make a lot of friends along the way.

Hi SLtesterL2,

When i started SL, i had fun for a while creating my avatar and shopping for freebies etc. Then i wanted to look better, so i put some money in the game and hunted for a good skin and hair and so on. That kept me busy for some days/weeks. Ones i was satisfied with my looks, i spend the next period looking for nice events in search, dress-up for it and show off my great looks and moves. I made a lot of friends and had lots of fun.

After a while, i wanted a bit more privacy, for changing cloths for example or just to unpack boxes etc. So i rented a small and cheap appartement and was completely happy. Until i realised, that my neighbors could follow my every move with their camera. So i left the appartment and stayed homeless. I continued going to events and exploring the world. Learned about furries, nekos, gors, werewolves, dragons, elves and fairies. I was a butterfly, neko, mermaid and an elf.

I had great fun for months, but then got really bored with it all. I had enough of dressing up, dancing and chatting and decided i wanted to learn how to build. I spent a lot of time on the SL Wiki reading about it and then in sandboxes trying it out. I met so many wonderful people in the sandboxes and many people willing to help out and advise.

Ones i knew how to build, i wanted to have a little land of my own, so i could build my own fantasy paradise with my dream house and a fountain and pond. Without having to delete it or take it into my inventory at the end of the day, as in a sandbox. I don't have a premium account and first had to find out how i could get my own land. Then i spend a lot of days finding the perfect land for my paradise. Ones i got the land, i had to learn how to terraform and spent a lot of months creating my dream land. I enjoyed it a lot! Spent most of the time by myself and even created an alt, so i didn't have to say i'm busy to my friends all the time.

I learned a lot about building and how to texture, later with sculpties, scripts and animations added to my builds. Every time i took the next step, i red a lot about it on the Wiki, learned the basics, tried out things with free sculpties, scripts and animations etc. I discovered which things i like more and am good at. For example, i enjoyed playing around with textures, then i heard about a graphic program similar to photoshop, which you can download for free on the internet (gimp). I learned to work with it and created textures for my land, cloths, and now i even make my own skin!

I never thought i was creative, until i found this amazing game. I love SL so much, i cannot imagine my life without it! I feel like i never have to be bored anymore, i have something to do for every mood, i can be with other people, or spend time by myself creating things or learning new stuff. Sometimes i just sit on my land, dreaming away. The only time i get bored, is when i really feel the need to be with other people and i don't have anyone to hang out with. Then i go around the world trying to meet people, but when you search for it, it never seems to happen. That's the same in RL though and probably has more to do with my mood of that moment, than with the people and possibilities in SL.

Actually, over the years there has been a lot of drama too! Lost friends, lost loves, lost inventory and even lost land, when the sim owner decided to quit without notice. But from drama always comes something great in return, like new friendships or that great pair of shoes which you found on your comfort shopping binge trip. And i'm sure (even though i don't remember) i have been bored many times too. But next time that happens, i'm going to try the things people said in this thread (shame i have never done a hunt in SL!).

I hope you find some inspiration in my (sorry if too long!) story. Really, the possibilities are endless! Also think of things you like in RL (for example photography, make-up, gardening, fashion), or would like to have but cannot (a horse ranch, mansion, private island, castle in the sky, tree-house), and see if you can do something with it in SL.

It also depends a bit on how much you are willing to spend on SL. But even if you don't want to spend one L$, you can do or find most of the things for free in SL. Except owning land, that is the only thing you cannot have for free. But you can start a shop for free on the Marketplace. So you could create something and try to sell it. Even make some money. Also, shopping on the Marketplace is fun! You can find many freebies too and it's so much easier to search and compare things than in-world.

Anyway... I wish you a lot of fun time in SL! And otherwise you still have the forum :smileywink:

• 1 month later...

Pick a random word out of a book or newspaper... start conversations and try to make them say that word with them none the wiser.

Find a nice island, city. farm whatever sim and rent a room staying for the whole week , never leaving the sim, telling eveyone you are on vacation. Poke around and get to know the place and people..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3123 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.