Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Oskar Linden

Deploys for the week of 2012-08-27

Recommended Posts

I'm not having a go at people.  I'm telling you to chill out and let them work on and test a fix, to either contribute something worthwhile on the JIRA or keep your complaints confined here, and to get your facts straight. You're part of the reason I stopped monitoring the issue.

Don't worry though, I won't be back in this thread.  Have fun storming the castle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good riddance.... stand up and speak your minds disatisfied customers of Second Life its about time Lindens Research were made to see theyre totally in the wrong here - they've deprived some customers of a service, theyve even admitted its their fault but  they still expect to be paid and anyone who thinks thats right and proper is short of a few marbles....

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Neobokrug and Nimh20

D'oh! Hidden in plain sight!!  Somehow I never made the link between "User Groups" and Office Hours...I thought they were separate.  How stupid of me! :smileyembarrassed:

 

Thankyou both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oskar

The Server Release Notes bug is back on LeTigre, at least it is on sim 9123 Woods of Heaven, following today's roll.

That is the "Error fetching release notes" bug  in JIRA SVC-7598

Also add to that SVC-8202 - attached objects that use autoattach scripts to re-attach objects if they are inadvertently removed are spamming re-attach attempt messages at login on LeTigre.

 

Please respond and acknowledge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been in SL since 2007 and I can assure you LL will not compensate anyone for anything unless the ToS says they will. And flaming the forums and acting like an internet bully like you do won't help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 


Cully Andel wrote:

Do we know if anything worked yet?

TThe server software is loaded in one "piece" and often has a number of changes in it each time. Some of the changes are new features, some are fixes for old bugs and some are changes needed when they discover things that griefers can use to crash or otherwise mess with regions. Those last changes are treated as secrets by the Lab but they're done fairly often. These changes are all bundled together and run on a certain number of "test" regions for a week before they're sent to the rest of the grid. (I happen to live on one of these test regions which is why I got familiar with how things work.)

The fix that was put in place last week on the test regions for the bandwidth problems seems to work fine; the problem was that there was another unrelated bug that appeared from one of the other changes which would have caused a lot of problems with some objects that people already own having their "permissions" (copy/modify/transfer) being changed from how the seller wanted them to be. There isn't a safe way to pull one change out of the software without needing to run it on test regions first, so they didn't want to send the software version with the bandwidth fix to the main grid this week.

It looks like the permissions bug is fixed though, so that SHOULD mean one of the software versions with the bandwidth fix can be loaded onto the rest of the grid next Tuesday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ayesha Askham wrote:

@Theresa

erm..SVC-8202

Assuming you just noticed it after Wednesday, that shouldn't stop the promotion of one of the other channels. You're on LeTigre and it's got new changes this week unrelated to either the bandwidth or permissions issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But intent and reality are two different things and if the reality is the problem increased then whether the problem was intended to be increased or not is a moot point, and in this case the problem has increased.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LeTigre was running the bandwidth fix last week; this week it isn't because they're testing a different change and the bandwidth fix isn't part of the main code yet. Its bandwidth usage is the same as a main channel server region. The bandwidth fix is still on Magnum and BlueSteel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That sounds hafway positive. Thank you Theresa (and thank you again for explaning stuff in idiot language)

If this is the case then let's hope they don't keep us all waiting till Tuesday

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cully, the number of people interested in what the Lindens are saying is very small. Most office hour meetings, which are now called User Groups, have 10 to 30 people in attendance.

If one reads the forum and bothers to notice the number of views a posting gets, we again see it is a very small number.

Since you've been in SL since 2008 you have had the same opportunity to find out where the user groups/office hour meetings are listed that I have. Going to Google and typing in 'Second Life User Groups' seems obvious and simple.

Wanting the Lindens to spend more time than do the communicating seems like a waste of time. Less than 0.5% of the 60+k concurrent users bother to read the communications. Only 2.5% of those users read my blog on a good day. I can't see the Lindens spending much time on something few care about.

They do however talk to those that are interested. The Lindens like many of the rest of us, get tired of the drama and avoid it. 

The Bandwidth problem is thought to be fixed. The problem in dissiminating it is QA and being sure that fix does not break something else.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

log in screen.jpg


Nalates Urriah wrote:

Cully, the number of people interested in what the Lindens are saying is very small. Most office hour meetings, which are now called User Groups, have 10 to 30 people in attendance.

If one reads the forum and bothers to notice the number of views a posting gets, we again see it is a very small number.

Since you've been in SL since 2008 you have had the same opportunity to find out where the user groups/office hour meetings are listed that I have. Going to Google and typing in 'Second Life User Groups' seems obvious and simple.

Wanting the Lindens to spend more time than do the communicating seems like a waste of time. Less than 0.5% of the 60+k concurrent users bother to read the communications. Only 2.5% of those users read my blog on a good day. I can't see the Lindens spending much time on something few care about.

They do however talk to those that are interested. The Lindens like many of the rest of us, get tired of the drama and avoid it. 

The Bandwidth problem is thought to be fixed. The problem in dissiminating it is QA and being sure that fix does not break something else.

 

 

The averge Resident just wants to log in and do their thing and has little interest in the technical aspects of Second Life.  And for many of us, myself included, a lot of the nitty gritty things go over my head.  But I do keep asking questions and learning.

At issue here is what is important to whom, and how it affects the Residents.

Internally, there is no question that the Linden's have taken the bandwitdth / data caps issue seriously and that they are working hard at solving it.  But what about the Residents who have been or who are going to be hurt by this issue?  Did the Residents deserve a clear communication about the problem or not?  Everyone sees a Log in page that could be used to greater advantage to communicate with the residents.

I agree with you whole heartedly that alot of the Drama gets out of hand.  Also, I know that what ever the Linden's may do or say, someone is going to not be happy about something.  But I am also of the opinion that a lot of Drama could be circumvented by better communication, by getting the information out there where it can be clearly seen.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Nalates Urriah wrote:

Cully, the number of people interested in what the Lindens are saying is very small.

Just because the number of people at the meeting is small does not mean people are not interested in what the Lindens are saying.  I would love to be there to talk to them.  However, the time of the lindens user group meetings excludes many of us as we have RL jobs at this time.  The only way we can get the news is either the forums, blogs like yours, or posted transcripts.   Better communications on something like this would have been quite appreciated and would have staved off a good deal of the drama.  However, there will always be some like the silliness earlier on in this thread.  Its the fact of life of running an Internet company.  People say things they would not say to someone face to face and do not even realize they are doing it.  In fact, would often vehemently deny they are.

A simply Line on the login pages, or at the grid status page would have fostered far greater empathy from that small portion of the user base that does frequent these venues.   Heck, even a more consistent posting of the user group transcripts would help.  If you have watched my posts at all, you see that I am typically one that defends LL.  I have said and will say they have made amazing strides in the past two years.  Still, good communications with their user base is NOT something LL does well.

Anyway, as you say the drama on this is coming to a close. The fix is out there, and in due process will find its way to the entire grid.  We can all move along now and start to salivate for the possibility of materials in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Natales - I for one am very interested so saying we're not for not making the user groups is a little unfair.  They don't talk here, on the forum,  where most of us can read at our leisure. The 2 times available for the tech user group are 1 am and  during working hours for those of us with a job. There's nothing in the middle, otherwise I would attend. I can't take time off work simply for that.

And yes, I do expect A Linden to communicate. Why wouldn't I? Other companies have something called a PR or a customer service manager whose job it is to tell people what's happening. Don't forget, we receive communications on the blog about new things in SL, offers in SL - so why can't that same person communicate when things go wrong? LL are an International company. I'd expect this lack of communication from a one man band, but not from a company with such a huge International audience. They do actually PAY people whose job it is to communicate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh it will help because it makes me feel a lot better after 5 years paying a **bleep**ty company whove basically treated me like crap and in my book  the ones who dont help are the useless sheep like you who seem to think a company can do what it wants because it has 'terms of service....'consumers dont stand a chance with some of the people on this forum....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In-world meetings, unless you make special arrangements, are limited to 40 people.

They also have a timing problem. They pretty well have to be during normal Linden working hours, and some people have to work or sleep at those times.

Given that, it seems reasonable to wonder if there is not a better solution to passing on news of these major changes. Can one of these meetings really include all the people who, for instance, build vehicles? Isn't the freqency of posting on the official blogs rather low? Why can't Linden Labs find somebody who can do what you do?

If you were to be run down by a truck tomorrow, Linden Labs communications would be effectively dead. I've been off the Internet for over a month because of a road traffic accident: these things can happen.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Nalates Urriah wrote:

Cully, the number of people interested in what the Lindens are saying is very small. Most office hour meetings, which are now called User Groups, have 10 to 30 people in attendance.

If one reads the forum and bothers to notice the number of views a posting gets, we again see it is a very small number.

Since you've been in SL since 2008 you have had the same opportunity to find out where the user groups/office hour meetings are listed that I have. Going to Google and typing in 'Second Life User Groups' seems obvious and simple.

Wanting the Lindens to spend more time than do the communicating seems like a waste of time. Less than 0.5% of the 60+k concurrent users bother to read the communications. Only 2.5% of those users read my blog on a good day. I can't see the Lindens spending much time on something few care about.

They do however talk to those that are interested. The Lindens like many of the rest of us, get tired of the drama and avoid it. 

The Bandwidth problem is thought to be fixed. The problem in dissiminating it is QA and being sure that fix does not break something else.

 

 

In my real life home town there is a population of 250,000, yet whenever the local council hold a planning meeting, there will often be less than 50 people in attendance.  It doesn't mean people aren't interested, rather that a number of factors prevent them from attending the meeting, not least they don't like meetings!  Meetings are for workplaces, and somehow leisure/pleasure/home life and meetings don't often seem to go hand-in-hand.

As for it seeming obvious and simple for people to go Google things, it isn't actually obvious and simple for everyone.  I remember a time, before I became an uber-stalker (!) when I didn't think to Google things.  My ex-partner taught me this, among other things (he said "Google ist your friend ;-) ") and I remember I wanted to batter him about the head for being such an arrogant little sh1t !

I like to go to Oskar's UG whenever I can, but the hour at which it takes place is not very convenient for me.  I have to get the chatlog and read it when I'm more able to compute it, as I'm in my wind-down mode at 11pm UK time, having certain family commitments, and not having my life revolve around SL. 

Wanting the Lindens to spend more time communicating is not a waste of time at all, and I would like to thank Oskar and Maestro and Simon and Huseby and Tommy and Michael and Torley who are approachable, often outside of the User Group hours, but who do only have a limited number of hours in the day, like everyone else, and so people with personal agendas need to realise that SL does not revolve around just them or their issue, no matter how much they think they are worth because they spend "a lot of money in this game" (!). 

I think you are probably right in your supposition that the Lindens get tired of the drama and avoid it, although if they are like many of the rest of us, they are quietly highly amused by some of it and sit with a coffee swivelling from side to side on their office chair laughing and muttering "what a prat", and "oh look, another would-be-wannabee-Linden" under their breath. :matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

I don't know what to say about the bandwith issue. I'm one of the lucky ones in that I don't notice much of a difference because my internet service is pretty cr4ppy at the best of times.  I did vocalise with Oskar in last week's UG that I believed all the residents should have been given a notification/warning on the log-in screen about this issue, and what to do until it was fixed. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...