How to make a HUD?

zigazav

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4154 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a question. How do I make a HUD? I know it has something to do with SL scripts, but I'm no good with technical stuff like that. If anyone can help me with this, it would really help. A step by step video would be nice. btw, I'm looking to make an avatar HUD, like the HUDs that come with Sonic characters at the Marketplace when you buy them for example. I'm looking to make an AO HUD for this big project I'm making. Please will someone help me with this.

This question seems to come up more often lately ;-) My best ressources are:

http://secondview.wordpress.com/2007/12/05/scripting-snippets-7-creating-a-hud/

and

http://secondview.wordpress.com/2007/12/18/script-snippets-8-text-output-for-a-hud/

and of course the official one:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Creating_HUDs

But you'll soon notice this topic is for scripters and designers. Good scripts without a good user interface doesn't appeal well and vice versa it's even worse ;-)

Have fun and good luck

One practical building tip I think is invaluable for people making huds is make sure that the main face of the hud -- that is, the one the user sees when wearing the hud -- is side 4 of a standard box prim (that is, the face the red arrow goes into when first the prim is rezzed).   Or, if it's a multi-prim hud, the object is so arranged that side 4 of the root prim is is the side facing the user's screen (i.e. the red arrow is going into the face the user sees when the arrows are in local mode.

This is because, that way, the hud will be correctly aligned when the hud is at its default rotation (ZERO_ROTATION).  It's neglecting (or not being aware of) this building point that causes most problems with huds not aligning correctly or vanishing off the side of the screen.

• Like 4

Thanks! I didn't know what was the face side of the object! Now, if Firestorm will stop giving me trouble, I MAY JUST be able to make the parts and stuff! I'm hunting for shields for L$ though. When the money hits a certain point, I'll withdraw from the ATM. THen I might be able to get the supplies!

• 2 months later...

@everyone: My computer is broken right now. So until it gets fixed, or my mom gets me another computer, but one that belong to me, no meetings in SL with me me for now, sorry peoplee, my mom just won't alliw me to download on her BF's computer! And I can't download and install something as big as SL onto a shared computer here either! I'm really sorry people!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One practical building tip I think is invaluable for people making huds is make sure that the main face of the hud -- that is, the one the user sees when wearing the hud -- is side 4 of a standard box prim (that is, the face the red arrow goes into when first the prim is rezzed).   Or, if it's a multi-prim hud, the object is so arranged that side 4 of the root prim is is the side facing the user's screen (i.e. the red arrow is going into the face the user sees when the arrows are in local mode.

This is because, that way, the hud will be correctly aligned when the hud is at its default rotation (ZERO_ROTATION).  It's neglecting (or not being aware of) this building point that causes most problems with huds not aligning correctly or vanishing off the side of the screen.

Some non-zero rotations are highly desirable as they allow the use of multiple faces of a flattened prim.

To avoid the above problems, I set the required rotation via script when the object is attached.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4154 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.