Disabling Scripts

Rachael777
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2980 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello. In my quest to make my avatar look and act more human I seem to be getting messages about my script count and am having trouble with my SL viewer crashing when in a large group of people. I use the latest SL viewer and I was wondering if anyone knows how to disable scripts. I looked around and I am not able to figure it out. I don't want to disable any of the resize scripts on my avatar but everything ells can be disabled. also. when a script is disabled, can it be re-enabled?    Thanks for your help :)

Rachael

The easiest way that I know to delete a script is to right click the object that you are wearing, choose Edit, go to Content, right click the script and choose Delete.

When you do this, make sure you are doing this to a copy, and also rename the copy in a way that will identify it as a copy so you don't get them mixed up in inventory, I just add the word Copy to the name.

May be best to figure out which of your attachments are really script hogs, and focus on fixing or replacing those.

To do that, use World / About Land, and at the lower left corner (of the General tab) is "Script Info" -- choose that, then the "My Avatar" tab of that window to see the memory footprint ("size") of all your attached scripted items.

If I were you, I'd pick the largest one, and if it doesn't have a way to delete all the scripts it contains, just throw it away: it's crap. If it's modifiable, you could delete every script in every linked prim--and that doesn't have to be as hard as it sounds--but trust me: it's crap. (And if it's not modifiable, it's crap, whether it contains any scripts or not, but that's a different discussion.)

There are other ways for scripts to be piggy besides being big, and the measured "size" of a Mono script doesn't really mean it's using all that memory at the moment, and there are ways to see more script statistics than this, and blah, blah, blah:  Nonetheless, this (and raw script count, which roughly correlates with size anyway) is what people are looking at when they say your avatar is script-heavy.

Archived