massive problems with trying to run viewer in linux (Ubuntu)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4259 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am trying to run the viewer in linux, and am having a lot of issues, am hoping you can give me a little direction!

I am running Ubuntu 12.04 on an i5, 2.67 Mhz, with 4 GB memory. The Ubuntu is 32-bit, so can't use all the memory, but memory doesn't seem to be a problem, always quite a lot free.

I can log in fine, but I can't TP out of the region where I log in; if I try, it just times out, and kicks me out of sl (get the View IM/Quit popup). I can TP within the sim. Also, names of my contact don't load, and my groups don't load, and none of the fields in About Land are populated. I notice that my inventory seems to have hung up, too--it says it is fetching several hundred items, but never finishes. Finally, though this isn't a major deal, none of the media work, even thought I have load gstreamer plugin.

I tried deleting all the files in cache (manually, in file system, not in Preferences) and deleting all the bridge files and rebuilding the bridge. I also have tried bandwidth at 300, 500, and 1500 (my download speeds are around 11, my upload around 1.4, and ping around 100 ms), and tried low resolution graphics setting.

I downloaded several other viewers, and they all do the same thing, so it seems to be something with Ubuntu, but I have no idea what. :((((

I have spent the last few days looking through support sites for the various viewers on linux, and one thing that has popped up a few times is a nameserv (DNS?) issue, but I don't know how to check that or fix it.

Oh, and one final thing, I added Ubuntu as dual boot to Windows 7, and the viewer works fine if I boot into Windows and use it there.

I am sorry for the long email, but if you have any ideas I'd really appreciate it. I'd like to stick with Ubuntu, but if I can't get sl to work, that is a deal breaker for me!

Thanks so very much for any help you can give me!

Caer  :)

Here are the viewer and system info:

Second Life 3.3.4 (262321) Jul 23 2012 20:27:52 (Second Life Release)
Release Notes

You are at 146812.0, 259757.0, 535.8 in Chocolat located at sim9412.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.43.115:13002)
Second Life Server 12.08.14.263480
Error fetching server release notes URL.

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz (2661 MHz)
Memory: 4026 MB
OS Version: Linux 3.2.0-29-generic-pae #46-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 27 17:25:43 UTC 2012 i686
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

OpenGL Version: 4.2.11627 Compatibility Profile Context

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/1.0.0d zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v6.4.1
Audio Driver Version: OpenAL, version 1.1 ALSOFT 1.11.753 / OpenAL Community / OpenAL Soft: PulseAudio Software
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Vivox

Built with GCC version 40103
Packets Lost: 0/5261 (0.0%)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4259 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.