A summary of all problems :)

chrisbreitling

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4251 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Here  a summary of all the problems that consume a lot of my SL time, I get the impression the viewer software is not very stable on Windows 64-bits platforms.

• First (and second) attempt to login usually fails with the correct password. A login error is given and the password field shows a password that is more than twice the length (n*2+2) of the given password.
  • When Login finally goes further it makes 3 attempts to connect to the region. If it doesn't crash at that moment...
  • The location is usually not available and I get ejected to some limbo island or info hub and is way difficult to teleport elsewhere.
  • Teleport results in failures (or crash) most of the times. I figure the SL code suffers from some sort of CORBA or Object Remoting serialization/deserialization issues that may need to be addressed.
  • If Teleporting works it takes quite some time, not like a few weeks ago when it was very fast.
  • Cannot initiate IM conversations most of the times, have to wait until someone IM's me
  • CAnnot view the profile of an avatar very often
  • Friend/Nearby People list is shown but no names are given, it remains forever in "loading..." and yet all other graphics load and the avatar can move smoothly, zoom/pan smoothly. Definitely not a connection issue.
  • Offer Teleport is usually not received by the other end, Likewise many times Teleport Requests are almost never received, they are sent by the other party but never arrives.
  • Constant crashing, in a day I probably reload in excess of 15 times
  • Many times it crashes by itself just leaving the avatar static without doing any action on the application. Makes me believe there are some serious issues with memory leaks, unreleased resources, etc.

Tried with both SL Viewer and Exodus but both seem to have the same application engine as their interfaces look very very similar.

I have been running SL on Win 7-64 bit since early 2010 and have experienced no such problems.   I did have an increase in crash frequency May or June of this year,  but at worst, that meant 3 or 4 crashes a week.    More recently, my  crash rate is less than one a week.  

Here is a relevant blog post:

http://virtualoutworlding.blogspot.com/2010/09/thanks-torley-windows-7-does-run-second.html

Note that 32 bit software is supposed to get special handling when it is installed by a 64 bit system

Virtual Outworlding: Windows 7 -- 64 bit -- Second Life -- No problems:

http://virtualoutworlding.blogspot.com/2010/08/windows-7-64-bit-second-life-no.html

That has always been automatic in my expereince.  

The problems you describe are often caused by connection problems.  Here is a post about some possible soulutios:

Login fails? Lots of logouts? Summary 

http://virtualoutworlding.blogspot.com/2011/12/kit-login-fails-lots-of-logouts-summary.html

TKR

chrisbreitling wrote:

• When Login finally goes further it makes 3 attempts to connect to the region. If it doesn't crash at that moment...

I'd say you are having connection issues aswell. What you say here causes all your other issues.

All of the failed attempts reduce your possibiities, if it fails once you can't see your friendslist for example, if it fails twice other things are borked, etc. There was a list somewhere, unfortunately I can't find it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4251 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.