Firestorm voice won't work but SL viewer voice does. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Kismet Faith

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4120 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Help! :D I'm running on Windows 7 and have allowed slvoice.exe and slplugin.exe through my firewall but as soon as I activate voice, it tells me slvoice.exe has crashed. Thanks so much for any help if you can give me any. Oh and the stuff in the link provided below doesn't work. I've tried it all as well as a clean reinstall.

3 answers to this question

That's interesting.  You actually get an error message that says slvoice crashed?  It's not uncommon for voice to fail.  It's a flaky feature at best, but it usually fails silently.  One common reason for failure is having your Maximum Bandwidth set too high (in Preferences >> Network) .  Ideally, it should be no higher than 75% to 80% of your connection's measured download speed (see http://www.speedtest.net/ ).  For most people, that's about 1200 to 1500 Kbps (half that if you're on DSL or wireless).  If you set Maxuimum Bandwidth higher than that, your viewer will be using all available bandwidth for its basic functions.  You'll have less lag, but there won't be any bandwidth left over for voice or streaming media.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4120 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.