why Second Life Slow down some places....what is it Solution...?

IntellectualBoy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1655 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

7 answers to this question

That's a very good question.  It doesn't have just one answer. Part of the problem is that Second Life is a world created by amateurs.  Almost everything you see was created by someone like me, a person with marginal talent and a fair amount of imagination.  We don't know the rules for making great designs work efficiently, so we make good designs that get in each other's way.  Being able to creat your own surroundings is a great strength of SL, but we create our own lag.

Sometimes the problem is the Internet.   Being far from SL's servers means that signals are more easily lost, or just take too long to get to your computer. Being on wirelesss doesn't help either.  There are loads of ways that your information flow can be disrupted.

Most of the time, though, lag is your own problem.  You have an old computer, or one that's inadequate for SL's demanding graphics.  You Are wearing way too much stuff as you wander around in SL.  You are trying to see soo much from too far away.  You are trying to see shadows and use other high-resolution features that will always take more compouting power than simple images.

Read more about lag here >>> http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_very_laggy .  This is probably the most common topic of conversation in SL.

• Like 2

By slowing down, I assume you mean that the viewer starts 'stuttering' a bit more, things take longer to appear, it becomes a bit more of a challenge to move around? In short - Lag. And I'm thinking viewer lag specifically.

The lag happens because your viewer struggles to manage everything in the location. The number of Objects and textures the complexity of these, and often the resolution of the textures.

A way to deal with this, you can lower the graphics settings in me->Preferences->Graphics. Either generally, or you can adjust individual settings like draw distance (which *will* help), turning off some of the shaders (if strictly necessary). Play around with these to see if you get better performance.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

In addition to everything they said, there is one more cause of sudden lag or stuttering - when your avatar crosses a sim boundary. Each region (sim) is 256 m x 256 m. In many parts of Second Life, you can walk or fly between regions. When you do this, your avatar, and any script that you are wearing, has to be passed to the other region. This takes time and can cause lag. What you can do 1) Reduce the number of scripted items you are wearing, and the total number of running scripts on your avatar. You can get script meters on the marketplace to measure how many scripts you are wearing..2) It helps to reduce draw distance in your viewer preferences. The smaller your draw distance, the fewer objects and textures need to be downloaded and displayed.  

12 hours ago, AlfieS0768 said:

The link to Phoenix Viewer in Rolig Loon's post has changed. Its now: https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/phoenix:very_laggy

It is a very old thread. As for the question, the answers all still apply, though I'd amend those answers to say; Firestorm isn't always the best answer. It is better to try different viewers, including Catznip, Kokua and others because each will have a different level of performance based on your computer system.

If someone is using the Official Second Life Viewer, then I recommend trying Catznip first as it is most similar in user interface, then Kokua as is deviates only a little more, then finally Firestorm as it deviates wildly from the official user interface and creates a steeper learning curve.

Regardless which one is chosen, the official list and links is here:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory

• Like 1

On 10/12/2019 at 8:35 AM, Alyona Su said:

If someone is using the Official Second Life Viewer, then I recommend trying Catznip first as it is most similar in user interface, then Kokua as is deviates only a little more, then finally Firestorm as it deviates wildly from the official user interface and creates a steeper learning curve.

This is true, but nonetheless ironic.  Firestorm (and its predecessor, Emerald) were designed to mimic (and expand on) the old LL Viewer 1.xx user interface.  When LL's Viewer 2.0 came out, with much the same interface we see today, people moaned and groaned and wanted what they were used to...so a lot of them migrated to Emerald.

Nowadays, most of the old timers still feel most comfortable with the old-style interface, and happily use Firestorm.  It's the newcomers who now have the steep learning curve, in "going back to" what is really a very old style UI in Firestorm.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

This is true, but nonetheless ironic.  Firestorm (and its predecessor, Emerald) were designed to mimic (and expand on) the old LL Viewer 1.xx user interface.  When LL's Viewer 2.0 came out, with much the same interface we see today, people moaned and groaned and wanted what they were used to...so a lot of them migrated to Emerald.

Nowadays, most of the old timers still feel most comfortable with the old-style interface, and happily use Firestorm.  It's the newcomers who now have the steep learning curve, in "going back to" what is really a very old style UI in Firestorm.

I agree entirely with what you said (and how you said it) :) Since a presumption must be made, I tend to err on the safer side; presuming someone has not been around since the switch to Viewer version 2, which is so long ago now that SL has been on the version 1 interface for less time than on the newer version 2 interface. Unless my sense of time-passing is screwy (which not can be at times!)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1655 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.