iPad viewers?

freakystar Danick

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3039 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

9 answers to this question

You can't use an iPad to run a full SL viewer.  An iPad just doesn't have the juice needed to run it.  You can get a text based viewer that will allow you to text chat  and send and receive IM's, group chat and notices too I believe.  However, you will not "see' anything.  If you want to use SL on the go, you need a good laptop. 

Text viewers are all third party viewers.  Click here for more information.

• Like 3

SL is not available for download on any tablet device. Adding to Amethist's answer, here are the main features you will be able to get on an iPad with Pocket Metaverse. don't expect to see graphics, you won't be able to.

http://www.pocketmetaverse.com/

Features

• Instant Messaging
    Initiate or respond to individual or group IM's.
  • Chat
    Converse with nearby avatars.
  • World Map
    View sims, teleport, search or use landmarks.
  • MiniMap & Who's Nearby
    Zoom in, move & turn, see who's nearby.
  • Inventory
    View notecards & pictures, give & accept items.
  • Profiles
    View profiles, make payments, teleport, befriend.
  • Groups
    View groups, join & leave, send invites.
  • Search
    Find people, groups, places, regions, and more.

• Like 3

Valerie is wrong. There is a viewer for Android, Lumiya which is a full 3d viewer client that runs great on quad core Android tablets. www.lumiyaviewer.com/

There are not any full 3d viewers on the ipad because none of the ipads have enough processing power. Apple fanboys will try and tell you how great Apple products are, but people don't buy Apple expecting cutting edge technology. Steve Jobs made it very clear time and time again that Apple's philosophy was to focus on reliability and simplicity over cutting edge specs. For example, the new ipad mini is just an ipad 2 in a smaller package, even though it was released at the same time as the (full size) ipad 4. I am not here to start a flame war, I am just pointing out that if you are looking for a phone or table that will run pc type apps, you should probably look for an Android device. Android is not as simple, but hardware specs on mid to high range Android products blow away anything Apple has on the market.

In the interest of full disclosure I am typing this on an ipad, though I also own an android tables and smartphone. I own the paid version of Lumiya for Android and it runs well on a Galaxy S3 and Nexus 7 tablet. In a few months (June 2013) the new Android tablets will be entering the market with the new Tegra 4's that have specs that blow away what the Nexus 7 is using now (Tegra 3's). I can only imagine how well the viewer will run on these new devices if I am getting 12-14 fps on the current Tegra 3 Nexus. This is with full 3d, including avatar rendering, flexi, etc. Its full blown Second Life. You will not see that on an ipad any time soon. My point is that there are tablets that run full second life, just not iPads.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3039 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.