Face shadows

Suki Hirano

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2605 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So after years on SL I still cannot figure out how to combat face shadows on pale skins WITHOUT using facelights. Facelights work fine, however most of the people I know do not turn local lights on or have basic shaders on (which automatically kills local lights), and those face shadows are everywhere in any atmospheric condition. It's highly unrealistic because in RL unless you're over 70 or something, the face does not have that many creases.

The weird thing is there seems to be less shadows on the tan skins everyone wears. I know on darker skins they should be less visible, but I noticed some creases aren't even there. Is that the reason why almost everyone wears a tan skin?

For instance, this is a photo with local lights on and basic shader off:

3.png

And here is the exact same photo with either local lights off or basic shader on (they end up looking very similar):

4.png

So I'm wondering, for the people who use a relatively pale skin like me, how do you combat these horrid face shadows/creases? I've tried a myriad of combinations of face shapes (especially values affecting cheek, nose, mouth, etc), none of them are able to decrease the amount of creases.

Try with windlight, there is one called optimal face and ... huh something (I'm bad with names). It depends what viewer you're using, I know Firestorm has several windlights that make those stuff less visible, but all avatars have that and most of the times we're not zooming closely on the face:)

I think the best bet for dealing with this - aside from facelights - are windlight settings. There are some good ones in some of the third party viewers, which removes the shadows nicely. Problem with windlight settings are that you're the only one seing the effect. All other people in the sim use their own settings, and might not see things the way you do anyway.

Facelights work for everybody nearby. Sometimes they even light up everybody nearby. Or they light up the entire sim... :D Bleaching everything out so nobody can see what they want to see... :o

I prefer that people use windlight settings to get the lighting they want.

Facelights should be banned!

:matte-motes-evil-invert:

No sorry, everyone should decide for their own if they want to wear facelights or not but personallyI don't care about facelights. I even changed my setttings and now facelights don't render. That way I'm not bothered by people lighting up the place like a xmas tree on steroids.

I use windlight settings to get rid of those nasty face shadows. Everyone looks better on my screen with the Windlight setting I use, not just me!

• Always take pictures at least three hours before noon or at least three hours after noon
  • Never take pictures with the sun or moon right over your head
  • You can wear face lights, they will not bother me, I've turned them off:)

Rest assure that you look pretty on my viewer.

It is set up in away so that I see myself and everybody else the way I want and I don't care if somebody else looks at me with a lousy viewer setting, it is not my problem.

Hi Suki,

i use i lighter skin and got the same thing. I had been using phoenix and thought everything looked fine but as soon as i updated to the newest Firestorm and the increased graphics of the V3, suddenly i looked all creased and wrinkled...and well you know the story lol.

i went back to phoenix so i can at least see myself normal.

I figure people will set their viewers to see themselves correctly and that way they'll also see you correctly. If not then they see everyone all dark shadowy, crinkly and youll look the same to them as everyone one else lol

Well pretty much like you did, i also use a very pale skin. You can either set the lighting how you did or use the folowing guide if your PC isn't good enough to use the shader and so on settings for it.

(1) Start by changing your light settings to midday by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Y
(2) Then go to World >> Environment Settings >> Sky Settings
(3) Press the "New" button at the top of the window that opened
(4) Name your new sky preset to for example "Perfect Settings"
(5) Now go into the "Lighting" tab
(6) Under "Sun/Moon Color" all the R,G,B,I should be set to 0.0
(7) Under "Ambient" all your R,G,B,I should be set to 0.64
(8) Now press "Save" and overwrite the saved preset
(9) DONE!

Now you have your perfect settings saved and can put this mode on whenever you want by just going to World >> Environment Settings >> Sky Settings and picking your saved Sky Preset from the drop down menu.

i did NOT come up with this solution, it was on a notecard someone handet me *giggle* just wanted to share it, i hope that's ok.

Aurelia Lionheart wrote:

Facelights should be banned!

FACELIGHT_001.jpg

I'm still seeing spots from this encounter.   And I'm still wondering why they are still offered.  I've seen lighthouses that don't render as much light.  I could turn it off on my end but I like seeing local lights, just not a walking, talking beacon of light.

For lighting without face shadows, and for those using Firestorm, I like windlight "CalWL" as my go to setting.  I do like to leave region settings on just to see what lighting people choose to present their sims.

I switched off facelights on my viewer. (don't render attached local lights) I prefer shadows over facelights. :)

I don't see shadows at the places where I use my own windlight setting though. But thats only what I see, it has no influence on what others see.

If you want to determine how you look for others then you will have no luck.

Sazabi wrote:

(1) Start by changing your light settings to midday by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Y

(2) Then go to World >> Environment Settings >> Sky Settings

(3) Press the "New" button at the top of the window that opened

(4) Name your new sky preset to for example "Perfect Settings"

(5) Now go into the "Lighting" tab

(6) Under "Sun/Moon Color" all the R,G,B,I should be set to 0.0

(7) Under "Ambient" all your R,G,B,I should be set to 0.64

Using this setting you will have now shadows by the sun or moon.

There will be no sunlight or moonlight

All you have is a flat ambient light that comes from everywhere and nowhere and cast no shadows

Thats pretty much the point of it, isn't it? If you got shadows uglyfining you, for lets say screenshost and so on, get rid of em, take your pic, turn the local lighning on again *nodnod*

The vast Majority of People here dont have a Pc that can handle ultra settings, you so can doge them. i might upload somthing with ultra settings and the light settings from this notcard to clearify what the uses are,later.

Highest settings - depth of field

ultra settings.jpg

Normal settings - most people will have this by standart.

normal settings.jpg

Notacard Settings

notecard settings.jpg

sorry for the long post, i hope i could carify what i wantet to say, should have postet pictures of the setting firsthand anyways, sorry for that also.

I don't think you guys got my question.

I know how to get rid of the shadows on my computer (facelight + local lights). I can get myself to look exactly the way I want (pale smooth skin no shadows anywhere).

I'm asking for tips on getting my character to have less shadows on any settings, ie so other people will see less shadows on me as well. It could be tips on editing parts of the face shape so those creases are less visible, tips on any special attachments I haven't heard of that work without local lights, or misc tips like "always stand and face a certain direction" or something.

ah sorry suki, got that now.

No, the only thing you can work on a bit is the nasal line that usually gets thicker depending on how you set up your mouth, everything else is the shadow that falls on your cheecks alone, wich you cant work around since its the ahm ahm sun flare(?) in the skybox (menning the scriptet and textured horizon not the Houses *giggle*) You can try to always stand with your face to the light source (or against it... mah now im not sure anymore...) to make the shadows disapear, but thats not a forever solution i fear.

Thats btw not a SL only problem. Every game (depending on the engine) that doesn't have flares in the charactermodells or in front of them so they eluminate them selfs have it. Fallout3 for example. You would need to glow from inside with a lightsource that dosent interfere with the Skybox ligthing, i think such suff must be hardcodet and it would not be possible here.

But one thing sayed before was right *nodnod* write notecards and give them to people you meet, when they are intrested in that stuff. I got mine back in the newb days when i had a facelamp on and was mobd for it.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2605 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.