Buying inworld vs buying on MP

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3712 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I agree with much or what you say, Deja. I'm another who uses MP for it's search, but then usually buys inworld to support the merchants who re-invest into our community. I find that those with an inworld store have more of an interest in performing well (in general, of course), and supplying superior service. It's a pity that they are the ones who miss out on being publicly reviewed for the efforts they make.

MP customers almost never have any contact with a merchant unless something goes wrong (eg, delivery issues which aren't even the merchant's fault), so their experiences are often skewed when rating them. Inworld, customers can have contact for many reasons, not all of them negative, so product/service reviews may be fairer. (Of course I expect that someone will say that this will only be gamed, but that's true of anything, and the existing system already is anyway.)

Sassy's idea probably won't affect my buying habits, as I'm already one of the converted. But as a merchant I'd like to be a part of this system. When a customer buys from one of my inworld vendors, I'd like them to be able to leave a review (or not- their choice ) in my MP listing.

I appreciate anything that supports inworld shopping. Without support of our community, we will not have anyone to sell to anyway.

I'm probably in the minority in that I really don't like shopping and only do it because I do like to look good, keep up with improved products.  I really only buy building supplies or things for my avatar.  I can make anything I need, but clothing, skins hair and things are just not my favorite thing to make so I don't do that unless I can't find something I really want.  I'm also a very busy person and don't have time for browsing and a lot of shopping around.  I need something, I find it, I buy it, I use MP as a search tool most of the time, although there are a few inworld stores that I like so much that I'll go to if I have the time.

If the merchant has a inworld store AND I have the time, I'll go there to buy it to save the merchant the MP commission.  If not, then I buy right from the MP.  I do look at reviews but I take them with a grain of salt.  One that is well written and gives reasons for their rating are the only ones that influence me.  I ignore negative reviews that are negative due to something beyond the merchants control or seem vindictive  I will do a review if the product is exceptional or if the product or the customer service is so bad I think others should be warned.  I do give specific reasons for my reviews and if its a negative one, I'll try to also point out the positives, if there are any.  I'd welcome the opportunity to both read and write a review for products bought in world.

As far as buying on MP from people that have no inworld store, unlike some, I have no problem with it.  I've been in SL a long time and found that  having an inworld store is no indication of quality or service.  I've had just as many problems and good experiences with in world merchants as MP only merchants. 

Too many merchants with in world stores rest on their laurels once they have a successful business and don't put out new releases or don't give good service.  When I find a merchant whose products I really like, I'll buy the things I really like and eventually unless they put out new releases frequently there is no point in going back.  Sadly a lot of my favorite merchants from a few years ago have dropped off my shopping radar for this reason.

A lot of very talented new creators use MP as a platform to launch their businesses.  So MP is where I go to find them as unless you have a lot of time to just shop they are hard to find inworld.  Supporting inworld merchants is important, but supporting new talent is equally important. So I don't buy the argument about only buying from inworld stores because it somehow supports the community better.  It doesn't.  Unless new talent is discovered and nurtured things stagnate, which is not good for the community at all.

I use the MP to search  I find a better deal that way and I do buy from there,, if I in a rush but if I not in a rush and I wanna look inworld I do go and buy from the store kind of my way off giving LL the finger  why could they keep get more L$ from us if we can go to the store and buy it.

'QUESTION:  Would you buy inworld instead of MP, if you could then also review and rate the item on MP, even if you hadn't purchased via MP but it was the same item?'

Interesting Q. I only have a teeny MP spot and really only did it as an experiment. And to be honest while there is a sort of inworld presence for some stuff it tends to be fluid and personally I don't have a shop as such. And yes I tend to browse MP and then head inworld as mostly I am after specific supplies and for that reason like to see what else someone has.

But - where exactly would a review be left? I don't have exactly the same things out in world that I have up on MP so where would the link be made? I have also had enough trouble leaving reviews on MP too so a little bit wary =^^=

The mechanics of linking an inworld sale to an item (or items) on MP would be - erm tricky. To put it mildly. As in .. if someone comes to me for a custom job based on some items I have on MP then...... =^^=

mikka Luik wrote:

But - where exactly would a review be left? I don't have exactly the same things out in world that I have up on MP so where would the link be made? I have also had enough trouble leaving reviews on MP too so a little bit wary =^^=

The mechanics of linking an inworld sale to an item (or items) on MP would be - erm tricky. To put it mildly. As in .. if someone comes to me for a custom job based on some items I have on MP then...... =^^=

Review would be left via the MP interface.

How would it be linked?  Just ignore that part for the moment, assume that it could be.  Just assume that the same object were identifiable both inworld and MP, the detail isn't relevant at this time. 

have never left a rating of any kind on MP. good or bad. dont much use MP tho. just to find free stuff really or maybe only like 10L or something

+

i pretty much shop inworld. i like to see demos before i buy and check out the quality on the models if they got any. i pretty much dont buy high price items off stranger shops i dont know anything about if i cant see a model or get a demo before. i dont mean always a demo of what i am actual wanting eveytime. any demo will do just so i can inspect the seams and stuff. am picky like that me (: same in reals

if i like a shop and is some kinda vote or like box then i will click it, even if i end up not buying anything sometimes

I doubt it would affect my decision on whether to buy inworld or on MP.  That being said, ability to review products bought inworld though I would not use it much might be good to have for those truly exceptional products you run across (or those truly exceptionally bad too I guess).

I don't usually do reviews on any worlds unless an item/experience has been very positive or very negative.

I do wish it was easier to add comments to Marketplace items like "Thank you for the great service!" or "This $50 item is a freebie at Yadni's.".... 

Like many of you, I tend to shop inworld before going to the Marketplace, but I will order things through the Marketplace from merchants I know and trust.

I review on the MP only when I buy on the MP and then only if I was exceptionally pleased or exceptionally disappointed.

I buy things on the MP that I figure I really don't need to see in person. If it's about wanting to have "specific" thiings in a menu, or wanting to know what the item performs like , then I look for the store inworld so I can try it out and be sure its what I want. Also , sometimes I find that there are more versions or variety inworld. The seller may not in fact list everything they sell. Because of that, I'm more likely to visit an inworld store if I feel like I would like "other" things not seen on the MP from a maker I was impressed with.

Ack! I missed that 'same item available on MP' part in the OP, so my response was no help at all (I responded to the idea of being able to review Inworld purchases, and that's not what you asked). However, now that I do know the exact question my answer is still 'No'.

Even if I knew (hard to imagine I would, but given that possibility) I could by a Marketplace item inworld cheaper, would I still buy it on MP just because I could review it? Nope. That review option would have zero effect on where I chose to buy the item. The price might, but not the rating ability.

No I wouldn't. I don't like the review system, people sometimes leave bad reviews if they have a personal issue with the creator, just to bring them down.

If I have a problem with a product I'll im the creator about it. If I'm very happy with something I'll do the same and compliment them. 

If an item is as expected I won't react at all but just use it :)

Yeah the review system is shady. You got:

- Morons with cow-sized butts and boobs complaining mesh items won't fit their disfigured bodies

- Creators who give a partial refund to any shills leaving a 5-star rating on their product

- Creators who buy their own product and leave 5-star ratings

- Garbage that's years old that was popular in the previous decade with high star ratings that are totally irrelevant now, but somehow still exist today

- Inability to edit or even delete your own reviews

Then again what review system isn't crappy? Even iTunes store review system is like this, tons and tons of shills mixed in with a tiny proportion of people with actual brains and writing skills. Hell even critics-only review systems like rottentomatoes have crappy reviewers who you wonder how in the world did they qualify to review anything.

• 1 year later...

Agree with suki on 

- Morons with cow-sized butts and boobs complaining mesh items won't fit their disfigured bodies

- Creators who buy their own product and leave 5-star ratings

- Garbage that's years old that was popular in the previous decade with high star ratings that are totally irrelevant now, but somehow still exist today

Also agree with others that you should be able to rate items inworld after purchase

Tend to keep a lot of colors/designs inworld only and I will keep doing this in the future it might affect my sales but in the end it's good to have people inworld looking at your store and other stores around it

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3712 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.