How much liability do landlords assume for TOS violations by renters?

Julie Rascon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4247 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been in Second Life for a long time, but am a new landlord, having decided to rent out a couple of nice skyboxes to help with the tier in my sim. I was wondering, as the subject of this message says, how much liability a landlord assumes from Terms of Service violations that might go on in a tenant's skybox.

Skyboxes are popular because they are private, and there is no way I am going to invade my tenant's privacy, no way I am going to police activities that go on in those boxes, as I feel it is up to each individual to adhere to the LL TOS.

Am I correct in this? If a person gets banned for whatever reason in my sim, am I liable as well for those activities?

Thanks,

Julie

there is no requirement in the ToS for you to do anything at all about the behaviour of another account holder

you can if you like draw up a covenant for how your land is to be used by others. and kick them off your land if they break your covenant

you can only be held accountable if you set up your sim to enable the ToS to be broken. like putting out a sign saying sexual child ageplayers welcome to rent here. stuff like that. not that you will though do this. just giving an example

• 3 weeks later...

16 wrote:

there is no requirement in the ToS for you to do anything at all about the behaviour of another account holder

you can if you like draw up a covenant for how your land is to be used by others. and kick them off your land if they break your covenant

you can only be held accountable if you set up your sim to enable the ToS to be broken. like putting out a sign saying sexual child ageplayers welcome to rent here. stuff like that. not that you will though do this. just giving an example

that said, I can see someone filing an AR against the sim owner for something the sim users/renters do there. LL would eventually indemnify you, but they might suspend you for a while until things are settled down.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4247 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.