Help I'm a Cloud!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3956 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just recently returned to SL after being gone for several months.

Upon returning I download the latest official SL viewer. I've been a cloud ever since.

I've tried all the old tricks I used to know; rebaking textures, clearing cache and relogging, logging into an empty sim, editing appearance.

Inworld someone suggested not doing anything until my inventory loads. My inventory seems to be loading ok.

If I try to edit appearance over my avatar and name I see "(editing appearance) loading........", I've waited for up to an hour but apparently it never finishes "loading".

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

The cloud formally known as Tex

I have ran into that issue.  Seems to be whenever I install a new viewer, either LL official or a TPV (either clean install or update) that happens to me as well. Nothing worked, I just had to wait it out. Took three days for me to finally appear in the one viewer I use all the time.

Don't use the other viewers enough to uncloud, but will probably take a few sessions to "pop" back.

Once I pop back, i'm ok untill I update again, then have to wait again, lol.

Welcome back to Second Life, Tex

It sounds like you need to carry out a "character test"

In V1 coded viewers, this is in the Advanced Menu at the top of your screen. Character Test>>Test male/female. (Might be in Me or Develop menu in V2/V3 viewers)

This will take your avatar appearance back to a newbie-looking/library avatar, but you should then be able to find your favourite shape,skin, clothing, hair, HUDs in your inventory and get looking back to normal in a few short minutes.

Hi, Valen

Yes, indeed, this issue does also seem to happen if you change viewers, swap around different viewers, or have a sudden interruption in your internet connection.

Sometimes just waiting will make the avatar appear.  Other times flying upwards, or changing group tag, or sliding a bald base across to your avatar will force it to load. Or a simple rebake will.

I think in the case of the OP, a character test may refresh their avatar fully, but certainly it is useful to have a look at the advice given by the Phoenix developers on bake fails http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/bake_fail

I have 3 viewers installed, the official one, the old Phoenix one and the latest Firestorm viewer.

Were you getting the following message when logging in using firestorm...

We are sorry, Linden Lab has discovered degraded performance on your connection to the region you are on.  You will need to restart Second Life and log into a new region for the next 30 minutes to an hour.  We apologize for the inconvenience.

For me I was getting this message for over 2 weeks everytime I logged in. I was just a cloud, tried everything like you said. Gave up after 2 weeks. I then tried again after 2 weeks then magically I could rezz my avatar again. I didn't need to change anything, it just suddenly started working again.

I'm so annoyed with the whole experience I decided to take time out because logging in is not a fun experience anymore. I'm not even sure if my avatar will rezz again and I do not want to spend my time looking  around for empty sims to rezz my avatar, delete cache, gestures, detach/change hair base ect...

Another thing I noticed is if you had previously rezzed some items using an old viewer like Phoenix then try deleting them with a newer viewer like Firestorm it will not let you ( for me anyway ). I had to go back to the viewer I rezzed the items with to even see them and delete them with that particular viewer.

The problems are becoming so complicated. I have been in touch with the Phoenix/Firestorm people on their Jira and they are also confused about the "degraded peformance" message I put at the top of my message here, LL are not supplying any info as to what it means though so they are also confused without getting any answers from them.

Maxi

I'm as confused as the Phoenix/Firestorm people about the "degraded performance" message. I use mainly Phoenix viewer, but sometimes log in with Firestorm, and occasionally with Viewer 3.

It is understably very frustrating when this kind of thing happens, though.

Regarding the issue of being a cloud; what will fix one person, will not necessarily fix another, and that can be very frustrating too (as you will probably have noticed by all the threads that come up on these forums about this particular issue).  My own personal experience is that, because I have a problematic internet connection, which I share with many other people, I am often a cloud, so I tend to skip right to a character test (which some people highly criticise me for).  I am just not prepared to waste the first fifteen minutes of every session I log into Second Life finding out which of the fixes will work for me, so it is easier for me to character test.  And I usually use Furball sim.

So, what I recommend for you is a break from Second Life for a week or two to recharge your batteries, and when you come back, don't fear the frustrations, just take a-charge, assume you will be a cloud, log into Furball (on whichever viewer you choose), and do the character test thing.  If (and I mean if) you find your avatar refuses to load, or your inventory does not load fully, then it is appropriate to clear your cache and do a relog and go make a coffee while it all loads. 

At this moment in time, that must sound so very annoying to you.  This time will pass.  You've been in SL long enough to know this.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

THIS HAPPENED TO ME YESTERDAY, I WENT THROUGH ALL STEPS AND NOTHING WAS WORKING. PEOPLE WERE ABLE TO SEE ME BUT ALL I SAW WAS A CLOUD. =/ AND ALL THAT WAS WRONG WAS THAT I WASNT WEARING A HAIR BASE. =) THANKS FOR ALL THE SUGGESTIONS W/ OUT TRYING THEM ALL I WOULDNT HAVE FIGURED IT OUT. =) THANXS AGAIN! =D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3956 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.