Why all the lag

KenshinShimori91

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4264 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What kind of lag do you experience? Rubberbanding, fps lag, texture rezzing issues?

Add information by selecting edit from the option menu in the top right corner of your post.

[Edit] Thought the post was in answers. Thats why I said about editing the post. No need in the forums. Post replies as usual... :)

- Luc -

I don't know a whole lot about your graphics card, but I don't think you should have excessive fps or texture rezzing issues. Which leads me to think about connection issues.

How are your sim ping times? (check in the performance panel (ctrl+shift+1)) The quality of your internet connection? Use www.pingtest.net to check. Do you have the same issues wherever you go in world? And lastly, have you tried to reset your modem/router?

I hope someone else comes along with more advice if none of this gives a clue to what is wrong...

- Luc -

That's clearly not it, then. :) Better numbers than I get.

What about the sim ping times in the viewer? That's the other thing I mentioned before - in the performance panel of the viewer.

I was thinking that you could try to toggle the http textures setting in the Advanced menu of the viewer. It may not help since it's worked much better lately, but it used to give me problems with textures rezzing slowly or not at all.

- Luc -

Luc Starsider wrote:

That's clearly not it, then.
:)
Better numbers than I get.

What about the sim ping times in the viewer? That's the other thing I mentioned before - in the performance panel of the viewer.

I was thinking that you could try to toggle the http textures setting in the Advanced menu of the viewer. It may not help since it's worked much better lately, but it used to give me problems with textures rezzing slowly or not at all.

- Luc -

HTTP continues to be a bug-a-boo for some people with no rhyme or reason I know.

I was happily SL'ing with it enabled till a few weeks ago.  All of the sudden I had to disable it.

Sometimes it seems like there is no end to the weirdness.

What do you mean by "lag"? You said it was low fps, but exactly how low are you talking about? If you are comparing the fps and texture rezzing to some 3d game you are used to, the answer is very simple:

That's just the way SL is. For the better part built by people who don't know how to minimise resources, or simply don't give a hoot. A 3d game is built to run fast, by people who know exactly what they are doing, most things in SL are built by amateurs who go for good looks no matter how much the load will be on the system. This means far more geometry and far more unique textures. On top of that, everything has to be sent from the servers to your viewer.

If you are getting really low fps, like 10 or 20 under normal circumstances, something more is going on though.

Luc Starsider wrote:

lol. I had the excact oposite experience. I had to keep it off until a few weeks ago.

It's amazing how different and inconsisten these issues work. /me shakes head...

Weirdness indeed.

- Luc -

HTTP, Streaming VBO's, the list goes on.

All I know to do sometimes is to recommend the good old trial and error method.

what viewer you use ?  when i was on phenom 2 x3 i had way better overall perfomance on 1.xx viewers than 2.xx and 3.xx ones try singularity viewer might be better for you ...

also a program that might benefit you is game booster 3 is a free program so worth a shot ... no promises thought

Sim ping times are good.

The bandwidth number - is that the steady bandwidth use you see in the performance panel after the initial load when you enter a region? (If that makes sense...) What is your max bandwidth setting in me->preferences->Setup (or Advanced. I forget which) btw?

I also don't think you said, but do you have these performance issues everywhere in SL or is it only in one/some regions?

Oh, one thing, since Perrie mentioned it... VBO. Have you tried disbling it in me->Preferences->Graphics->Hardware? (or enabling it)

I'm quickly running out of things to check...

- Luc -

Luc Starsider wrote:

I'm quickly running out of things to check...

Other completely different things to look at:

Avatar attachments, I've seen outfits with hundreds of sculpts or with meshes so dense they looked solid.

Amount of (available) physical memory? If you run out of RAM your hard disk will take over, that grinds things to a halt quite nicely.

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

Avatar attachments, I've seen outfits with hundreds of sculpts or with meshes so dense they looked solid.

True. It's amazing just how many can fit in a small space. :D But framerates should improve when the camera is facing away from the sculpts, right?

- Luc -

Something you might want to check is the graphic memory allocation I was having all kinds of problems with fps and graphics cycling in and out and very slow rezzing. Seems the game though that 80 meg was a nice number for my graphics card.

Turned it back up where it should be to 512  problem solved.

Preferences /graphics/harware

SL is not wierd just severley introverted at times

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4264 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.