Bandwidth Usage Warning

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4227 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Peggy Paperdoll wrote:

BTW...........I haven't seen this problem.  My bandwidth speed and bandwidth usage has not varied much at all (just the normal tiny little variences that occur with each log in and each TP to somewhere different).  Absolutely normal on my end.

Well isn't that special. If you had read the Jira you would know it only affects some sims that are running or are near one of the RC channels.  

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are all sorts of messages sent to you by the server, besides textures and stuff. Some of these messages are being needlessly repeated at a very high rate. It's not just doubling, which would be bad enough. People with fast connections have reported 10 gigabits per second, a hundred times the usual rate.

But thank you for your efforts to keep this thread marked as the most recent active thread.

Peggy. The word 'bandwidth' is used for both speed (amount per second) and quantity (e.g. n gigs per month or you have to pay more).

Judging by the posts in this thread, there is a real problem that was recently introduced, so it's better to discuss that than quibble about a word.

My bandwidth usage soared my ISP immediately pinned down the problem to some sort of update in sl.... I'd ignored mention of pathfinding and lo and behold theres the cause....

My usage jumped from 1- 2 gbs a day to 10 !!!! Without SL (I  dont want to pay my ISP any more which is what I'll have to do if I exceed my allotted 60 GBs) over the past few days my gb usage has dropped to 512 mbs a day !! Therefore I have no choice but to stay out of sl until at least my next months billing period starts in september. This means Im paying my tier fo only halfs a month use.

Lindens arent doing anything though they believe their terms of service means they arent obliged to provide us with a regular service.. Presumably being kept out of sl for half a month is acceptable to them.

Oh well tomorrow I contact English trading standards authorities and see if Lindens can shirk their responsibilities to their customers when they screw things up BIG TIME.

You'd have thought reducing my tier by 50% was a small price to pay for my continued good custom but I think Lindens have EPIC FAIL written all over them when it comes to customer service !

Now Im looking to sell my land and cut my premium membership....

Ive sent my responses to TJ Lindens useless email via the email I got...needless to say the ticket system wasnt working either when I tried earlier !!

I think anyone considering membership of sl really has to think hard about those terms of service because it means if you are denied access to sl or have to stay out of sl as I have lindens arent going to recompense you...which is quite a loss if youre paying even a middling tier.

I dont know if this sort of 'shirking of responsibilities' is allowed in the US but Im certainly going to have a long conversation with our relevant trading standards people here and we know from the v.a.t fiasco a few years back that if lindens operate in areas outside the USA theyre certainly bound by overseas rulings ....

Maybe but Lindens arent just restricting their business to the USA and theyre obliged to follow the laws of those lands where they sell....as for US users if youre prepared to pay up for a company who won't refund or recompense you for loss of money...or charging you too much for  - lets face it a SHABBY SECOND RATE SCREWED UP service good luck to you. Five years Ive been in sl most of it a regular paid up land owning customer.... well that nameless faceless supervisor that TJ Linden is hiding behind has cost Linden labs my business...Not to mention those technical jerks who should have shut off the pathfinder feature as soon as it was seen to be inconveniencing sl users....

And to think after 5 years custom I wasn't making a vast demand either only a 50% reduction in my tier for the half month when Lindens mistakes have made the service inaccessible to me....utter crap.... no concept of customer care or satisfaction exists in Linden labs at all. Greedy money grasping business at its finest....

Anyone else think that all users should have had a warning email about this from Linden labs- at the very least telling them that if theyre on limited bandwidth usage to check their usage ? Especially as Lindens ( has as happened in my case) are going to use TOS to avoid paying any form of recompense .....

Well.. I kinda understand why they wouldn't recompense, because I don't recall them saying anywhere how much bandwidth usage SL is supposed to use.. and therefore they haven't breached anything, I would think. It is technically your own responsibility to check your usage, just like water and electricity, right?

That's not to say I don't see the problem, because it can give unfortunate issues to people with limited usage yes. Even if they notice and avoid a colossal bill, it would still restrict their ability to play SL quite much :o

So yeah it would seem appropriate with some kind of warning/notice, either by mail, login-screen headline or in-game announcement.

I think if they haven't put one out yet that they better get to it...

Because it's just gonna be another reason for some to leave..

You can only chip away at a block so many times before you are onlyleft with a tiny little expensive chunk that can't be chiped away at any longer..

I know that if it costs me more than I have in my figures for this entertainment and I see it cost more where I have not figured it in..then in my mind that's gonna be looked at as dipping into my pocket without asking..

Then they won't be getting any of it after that..

They best get upfront with users. Because nobody likes stuff just snuck passed them or assuming that everything will be fine because we trust them..

They'll find out the second people see jackedUp bills caused by them bad see how much they are not that more important than someone's dollar..or whatever their currency happens to be..

Sorry if this post is messed up..my freakin iPad gets a mind off it's own sometimes ..

I know, just saying that it's like if you have a tv that short-circuits without you noticing and starts using a lot of electricity for the next few weeks (great example, I know). Obviously the tv company would be obliged to repair the tv, but I doubt they'd pay your electrical bill. Unless you sue them of course, which could be a possibility.

agree's..

this issue was in the SLU forums well before i had seen it in these forums..

when an issue like this happens..rather than them sitting on it quietly..

they should be getting on the horn using every avenue of communication they have for us now..

with dashboards and forums and feeds and online profiles and blogs and email and everything else..

this should have been seen by users already..

not one mention of it on my dashboard or any of these channels that were such awesome ideas that would improve communication..

seriously sl..were you just talking about user communication?

not really because i see all kinds of other blog posts that could have came in second to..users use caution.we have found a glitch and be on the lookout in case your internet bill may get jacked up..so be careful..

we will have a fix for you A.S.A.P. and we are sorry for this inconvenience..

instead everyone is left to figure it out for themselves..

they are way to political minded about image nowadays rather than they are about customer serving..

So like I said before and which you are avoiding whats your advice to people on limited gb usage ??? Are you going to tell them not to come to sl ?? What about tiers and membership fees whose responsible for those if people have to stay out of sl so as to avoid large payments to their ISPs as in my case...come on whats your advice instead of just trying to be smart .....

Well I'd advice using a bandwidth usage monitoration program.. And.. yes stay out of SL until it's fixed if you're close to the limit. Bandwidth usage is ultimately your own responsibility, as much as it sucks, unless LL has explicitely said SL woudn't use more than this or that much.

But as I said, which you apparently decided to not to see, it is messed up and they should do what they can to tell people about it, as good customer service, because obviously it can be a problem to some people.

You want advise, here`s some advice;

Check you bandwidth daily instead of ignoring it.

"My usage jumped from 1- 2 gbs a day to 10 !!!! Without SL (I  dont want to pay my ISP any more which is what I'll have to do if I exceed my allotted 60 GBs)"

You weren`t monitoring your bandwidth or else you`d have spotted a big problem befor being NOTIFIED by your ISP.

My bandwidth stayed unlinchingly at 1-2 gbs for years....and even if I had checked what are you supposed to do then mrs smaughtharse? Reduce your time in sl to nothing...sorry sweetheart but I dont pay a tier and membership to stay out of a place especially when the people running it made the mistake in the firstplace ...now go and get some common sense... the only reason Im debating this continually with you is because every time it bumps the thread and warns those who might not even know theres a problem .....which is what I wanted to do.... rather than getting lumbered with some senseless argumentative person who seems to be posting under more than one name to undermine something determined to act to warn other users.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4227 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.