Coming of Steam

Planter Leitner

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3315 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If they want to steam and steam lets them then it might turn out well for the company as a whole ... afte all steam itself is moving away from being just about games so SL might find a place on it. If the move is good or even sane (I admit to have my doubts but I passionatly hate steam so I might lack a really objective opinion here) time will tell.

As for view from a RP perspective then todays games (especially online ones) seem to be made with the idea that clicking on the avi and making it swing a sword is RP (what is one of the reasons I don't play such games). So at least the meter based sims might attrackt a gamer or two but text RP is something very different and more found on forums then in games I would say. But it is in games too and people RP there as well and not all games are made to be entirly void of all possibility to immerse into the game-world too, so maybe it will all turn out well.

Kind of worse then hoped for but better then feared :smileytongue:

The more important thing is, that steam has an audience and is doing marketing for the games and shows them on their page and when loging in into it. This might .. for the first time in the history of SL ... give it some marketing and since it would not be done by the (in this department) usually very lacking LL, it might even work.

Interesting times ahead  

Let me just say, the most common online roleplay games, which actually attract real roleplayers, aren't part of what steam offers. But maybe all this combat stuff will make new customers....I used to play Left4Dead with Steam. :matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:

I've been on Second Life for a few years now and have been a Steam player for a couple years now as well.

I'd like to point out that the diversity of games on Steam is broad and covers a lot more than shooting games. My own library is a little light on the zombie shooters personally. I play games like Civilization V, Worms Reloaded and Skyrim.

Assuming that everyone who plays on Steam is into 95% shooting, 5% text is like assuming that everyone in Second Life is a socially maladjusted senior citizen masquerading as a teenage sex deviant. These are broad worlds that appeal to broad minds .(though the stereotypes often exist for a reason)

I think that bringing Second Life to Steam is a great move because Steam is more than just an online game retailer. Steam lets you know what games your friends have been playing, how much they've been playing them and what they think of them. So it's a great opportunity for a lot of people to say "Hey, some of my buddies seem to be spending a lot of time in that Second Life. And it's free. Why not check it out?"

As a further note, Valve has recently announced plans to bring Steam service to Linux Ubuuntu in the near future, and as Second Life is also linux compatible with a separate download for linux users, I think it would be a good idea for them to get Second Life on that service as well when it's available.

I have no doubt that SL will appeal to some Steam users, (I  use Steam for some PC games. Skyrim, etc...) but the subtext of what I was saying (and sorry for not being more precise) is that in all my years in SL, I have never encountered anything in SL that would cause me to make a comparison between SL and a game on Steam.  SL just doesn't have the tools yet to create real games like what is typically played through Steam even though combat roleplaying sims do come close.  

I completely agree that it will be a good move for SL to be listed on Steam.  I am just not convinced that a  typical roleplaying sim is going to hold up well to the comparisons that will be made to the real games people are playing through Steam.  I also believe that the ability to tell all your buddies about SL through Steam could end up being a double edged sword and do more harm than good if most are not impressed or find SL to be boring.   I am hoping for the best, but I can't help but to have some doubts.

• 4 weeks later...

Recently I have been locked out of SL through work. They were tight on network resources and banned a few big things, like Netflix, but when they reenabled all of them - SL wasn't on that list! :(  During the day I primarily just use SL Lite Chat Client, but even that will not connect.

I am highly curious on if using the Steam portal will allow me entry through another way.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3315 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.