Silence from Lindens on Excessive Bandwidth ?

Darleen Emerald

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4155 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, there's nothing to turn off. Estate owners have tried to turn off Pathfinding on sims and it has no effect on the problem. Updating to the new RC with the fix, on the other hand, does indeed seem to solve the problem, so that's the good news.

Until all sims get that fix, though, yeah... I'm keeping my draw distance really short and occasionally checking the Map to figure out how close I am to a southern corner... but it affects me more than most, probably, because I spend a lot of time going all over the Mainland, and I'm currently in Canada, a country with notoriously overpriced internet service, regulated by the criminally inept. (If they were merely corrupt, there'd be hope.)

I have an uncomfortable feeling that a lot of people who never have occasion to use the Pathfinding features are going to be scared by the error and warning massages when they get into the default viewer. Pathfinding may expose us to the feather-footed vole, questing through some plashy fen, but will anyone notice. They'll see the warning message about the nav mesh changing.

• 2 weeks later...

Have to admit, i was quite amazed when i found this topic (by accident) as its exactly the issue ive been having too.

Just had a look over my internet bandwith use and sure enough ive been going over my limits wheich has never happened previously.

I see that there is supposedly going to be a fix for this rolled out this week but I have a concern that the issue has being going on for longer than what's mentioned here.

I've had excess download charges since May and I do recall it was back in May when i first remember getting this issue yet seemingly the consensus is it's only been a problem since August? Hmmm... hope the fix actually cures the issue

• 2 months later...

I have just submitted a JIRA ticket on this very matter.....I am at 106GB in less than 30days

My submission as follows:

I am contacting Linden Labs today in the hopes that they can shed some light on why my ISP usage level has reached 106 GB in less than a month ....this is huge....   

I have an ISP tracker system provided by my ISP and noted that my visits to SL eat up anywhere from 1.5GB up to 6.00GB per visit this depends on hours which range from 3 to about 6hrs, usage varies throughout the month.....but I do not spend enough time in SL to warrant 106 GB's in less than a 30day period. I have read the other JIRA's on this issue and noted that there appears to be a issue with this with many of the SL residents. I have adjusted by bandwidth, increased my cache to max, disabled media and voice and lowered my draw distance. Is there something downloading behind my SL experience here that I may not be aware of...it appears that based on previous JIRA's that LL is aware of a bug that is creating this situation but I could not find anywhere where this matter has be resolved. I am a premium member, I own land and also contribute to the economy, how can it be that this much information 106 GB to date (Nov 29, 2012) has been down/up loaded by one single avatar....I am sure that LL is aware of how much 106GB of information represents. My ISP caps my usage and I have increased it twice, more notably this has been the case over the last 3-4mths where my usage has dramatically increased for no real apparent reason, I have not had this issue previously. Could someone please comment on this issue and provide some resolution. I would appreciate knowing what is exactly causing this "information spamming or dumping" and why it is affecting my usage in such a dramatic way. Thank you.

The specific bug that initially started this thread was fixed some time ago. That doesn't rule out a regression or some similar bug introduced since, and I haven't turned on the debugging tools to test for that. You may want to do that, to see if you can find a pattern of where and when network traffic to your viewer is particularly heavy. Even if it's not a bug, it may help identify things to avoid.

Teleporting is usually the most network-intensive activity in SL, so if one does a lot of that, there's not much that can be done to reduce the effect.

Just crossing between sims also generates a lot of network activity (especially recently, when the departed-from sim gets fully repainted 50 seconds after leaving it; not sure if that bug was fixed yet).

That reminds me: Andrew's work on improving the "interestlist" should somewhat reduce network traffic by only sending updates that are in view (or closer to that ideal, anyway). That's now being tested on the beta grid.

It's also possible that specific items in the environment are generating a lot of object updates. If you spend most of your time in one location, you might turn on "Show Updates to Objects" and see if there's a particularly noisy source in the area. Common culprits are "prim animation" (not simple smooth rotation) and temp-rezzed stuff. Of course, being around a lot of avatars takes a lot of bandwidth, too, especially if they're moving around a lot (as in combat for example).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4155 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.