Do you notice there are a lot of mentally unstable people on SL?

Aiden Rives

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1848 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Wow, just Wow! I have a VERY active RL. My RL job is in the legal field. My social life is moderate. I am far from unattractive. I come to SL to relieve the stress and pressures of RL. I go to clubs, shop, dance, and meet a lot of people, in all of the 4+ years I have been here I have NEVER met anyone that I would consider mentally unstable. Obviously, the people who wrote that description never stayed in SL long enough to find the hidden gems that can be found all over the grid. They visited an adult SIM and surmissed that THAT is what SL is really about. Is SL an escape? Sure it is, we all need an escape from time to time, it makes us better people in the long run. I suggest that if YOU think everyone in SL is mentally unstable, the solution is clear, just hit the little red X in the upper right hand corner and walk away from the computer. Just my 2 lindens. 

I think most have been unfair to the OP, a lot do have the odd problem, it is clear that a lot here can't show empathy, the OP was calling out but so many could only see themselves, if the OP is reading this then don't feel so bad, change what you do, remember forums are like school yards and always have a gang of bullies standing in the corner waiting to prey on anyone feeling down.

I don't agree that most SL users are odd (I prefer 'unusual') but some certainly are. A number of people have said it of themselves in the forum, stating that SL is a great help to them. I met one person who told me that she was in a mental home, and she was. We talked on voice and I could hear other obvious patients in the background.

But it doesn't matter. A person I am communicating with is what I perceive them to be. If s/he appears 'normal' then s/he is normal to me, regardless of how s/he is in the real world. The opposite is also true.

Occasionally I have encountered some odd or objectionable residents in Second Life, but most people seem friendly and 'normal' - in that their behaviour doesn't lead me to imagine that they must be mad in real life.

I don't think Second Life is any worse than the internet as a whole for mad behaviour.  Anyone who's experienced a few internet forums or chat rooms would probably agree with me!

Maryanne Solo wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

How do we know that He is not a SHE?

Or something in-between for that matter?

Oh my  g g  gg
GOD
!

you mean like... a 
m.
m
martian
or something?
^~.~^

:matte-motes-shocked:

No, not Martian.  We recognize each other instantly no matter what the disguise maybe.

I'm thinking she/he/it may be a Thespian!

Perrie Juran wrote:

Maryanne Solo wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

How do we know that He is not a SHE?

Or something in-between for that matter?

Oh my  g g  gg
GOD
!

you mean like... a 
m.
m
martian
or something?
^~.~^

:matte-motes-shocked:

No, not Martian.  We recognize each other instantly no matter what the disguise maybe.

I'm thinking she/he/it may be a Thespian!

you mean a Guy In Real Life?

oh, you said thespian.. my bad, I totally misread that.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1848 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.