Do you notice there are a lot of mentally unstable people on SL?

Aiden Rives

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1840 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Why would a posting to SL forums reach a more sane audience than SL itself?

It's a wonder there are any posts at all, keyboards being hard to operate in a straightjacket.

On the other hand, as others have noted, Urban Dictionary is not exactly DSM-IV. When it comes to raving loonies, you've hit the jackpot there.

Wait! Before you go! I am pretty sure there are some folks in Gor that would love to dispatch your AV in an appropriate manner. You could sell tickets to that.  The great troll slice & dice. On your gravestone we could write erm anyone got a good one liner?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i always believed to take everything with a grain of salt on the internet..and that if you wanted to find crazy or sain you could..

just depends on who you decided to spend your time with..

finding mostly crazy loser sorts of people??

well as you said..birds of a feather....

they must all be crazy and losers but you Riiiight? hehehehe

oh ya and IBTL!!

IBTL@.png

• Haha 1

I suffer from severe post coital giggling.

Does the OP know where I can get help with this?

Some girls find this cute.

Some girls find this annoying.

Some girls get offended (they think I am laughing at them).

Regardless, I seldom get second dates.

What can I do?

• Haha 1

Aiden Rives wrote:

birds of a feather, birds of a feather.

It's alright. I'm leaving SL. You guys are right I don't belong here. bye, enjoy your second life.

As long as we're making generalizations about people and SL, I'll offer my observations on how people leave.

The ones who ANNOUNCE they're leaving typically return, usually withing a week.

The ones who THREATEN to leave unless something changes never actuallly leave, no matter how much everyone else wishes they would.

The people who DO leave Second Life?

Never.

Say.

Anything.

I honestly don't think there are a lot of mentally unstable people in SecondLife. What I have observed though is SL tends to remove societal inhibitions due to 1. Anonymity 2. Ability to remake one's image and 3. Lack of repercussions.

Anonymity goes without saying of course. The internet is full of people who are incredibly rude because they are anonymous. Why do you think Facebook is so lame, I mean, tame? If Facebook was completely anonymous it would turn into an online Gomorrah.

On top of the ability to hide your true identity, SL let's you create a new one with the ability to remake your own self-image through your avatar. What this does, I think, is to give people the ability to build their confidence. I'm not just talking about a modest reassurance here but the ability to build oneself up to grand proportions. With this super-enhanced self image one loses even more inhibition than simply being anonymous.

Thirdly, SL does have repercussionsbut they can be bypassed. If you go to a club and act like a bum you get kicked out but there are many other sims in SL for you to go to. You're not stuck to one city or town. You are the equivalent of a jet-set traveler like Julian Assange who can (allegedly) assault a girl and fly off to another country and then seek asylum in another.

What does this all add up to? People who are completely free to act as they wish. They can be as bad as they can be or they can choose to be good. The choice is there and I'd rather not have it any other way.

Aiden Rives wrote:

birds of a feather, birds of a feather.

It's alright. I'm leaving SL. You guys are right I don't belong here. bye, enjoy your second life.

SLkind is not ready to hear your message, just as humankind was not ready to hear Lucinda's. Perhaps it is time to return to your home planet, as it was hers. :smileylol:

(On the other hand, someone with absolutely nothing in their profile after five years saying that everyone else must be a social misfit... hmmmmmyeah.)

Aiden Rives wrote:

Most people on SL are just odd. They don't talk like people irl and have very erratic behaviour. It just seem like a lot of people on SL have personality problems, rage issues or are depressed. Generally mentally unstable people you know. Do you notice it? I think people who don't notice it are one of those mental people themselves, birds of a feather flock together huh?  I've seen and met some good, logical people on SL but the majority just seem mentally unstable.

What do you think?

I have NEVER met one single person, in Second Life or in Real Life that is not without a quirk that makes them not "normal" (whatever that might be).

Even the mother-in-law of our dear Queen Elizabeth, is a 24 carat fruitcake apparently.

It just seems there are more crazies "mentally unstable people"in SL, because of the environment. We are all concentrated version of our real life selves perhaps.

Perrie Juran wrote:

I suffer from severe post coital giggling.

Does the OP know where I can get help with this?

Some girls find this cute.

Some girls find this annoying.

Some girls get offended (they think I am laughing at them).

Regardless, I seldom get second dates.

What can I do?

It's all that giggling after s3x that you do; it's very offputting when we just are expecting you to roll over and start snoring. :matte-motes-big-grin-wink:  

My problem is I often giggle BEFORE I have s3x witha man, often at the moment when the underpants come off. Dunno why that is. I don't get second dates either.

Echo Hermit wrote:

My problem is I often giggle BEFORE I have s3x witha man, often at the moment when the underpants come off. Dunno why that is. I don't get second dates either.

I guess I should count my blessings.  That is something that I have never had happen to me.

SL is a broad slice of the general RL population who use the internet. 

The RL population has some crazies in it.  Deal with it.

SL allows people to be who they really want to be, so people don't conform to your expectations.  That's not crazy.

It is RL that forces people to conform to behavior expectations and be who others want them to be.  That's just masking who they really are.

The Urban Dictionary is a joke.  I would in no way consider it a reliable source for anything.

I'm guessing you're a bit of a drama queen and not had much luck with people in SL and your leaving for that reason.  Why come on here an post garbage when your leaving anyway other than to troll or get in some last licks by trying to insult everyone?  It explains a lot

• Like 1

I Googled a quote I'd heard and wanted to quote it correctly, then found a few others;

“I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.” ~ Edger Allen Poe

“Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination.” ~ Mark Twain

“One person's craziness is another person's reality.” ~ Tim Burton

“Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you.” ~ C.G. Jung

And my personal favorite:

"Anybody remotely interesting is mad in some way." ~ The Doctor from Dr. Who

Aiden Rives wrote:

^ Yeah that's true. SL is an escape from RL. It does has a reputation for being a community for rl loser. When I Google Second Life followed by an L "second life l" the suggestion dropdown list thing shows "Second life losers".

It's no generalizing though. I didn't say all. I said most and this from my experience.

You and my mother would get along.  She thinks most people on SL are sex perverts. *Grins*

Aiden Rives wrote:

Most people on SL are just odd. They don't talk like people irl and have very erratic behaviour. It just seem like a lot of people on SL have personality problems, rage issues or are depressed. Generally mentally unstable people you know. Do you notice it? I think people who don't notice it are one of those mental people themselves, birds of a feather flock together huh?  I've seen and met some good, logical people on SL but the majority just seem mentally unstable.

What do you think?

Oh yes, most definitely. They usually post topics like this just to avoid suspicion they they are totally bonkers.

Syo Emerald wrote:

Haha, funny.

As someone who has a lot experiance in MMOs and onlinecommunitys of different kinds I can tell you its not a specific bias for SL users to be called loser with no friends and real life. This happens to everyone with a hobby or passion outside of th generel 0815 life where spending your evening in a local club and being drunk is accepted, but spending an evening at the computer is seen as a strange behavior (no matter what the person is doing there or how the rest of their life looks like).

People were always afraid of the things they don't know or can't understand. Thats why the cover up in hate and bias to protect themselves. Easy to see in the media, where everykind of subculture is used to entertain the dumb mass. Oh the young guy dresses in black? He must be suicidal or praying to satan. Oh this guy over there likes to wear a fursuit? He must me a total weirdo..... and so on. The list is endless.

Its the people who doesn't have any knowledge about a topic who start to judge it and everyone who enjoys it.

QFT!

Aiden Rives wrote:

It's reputation, not fact. It's what SL is known for to most people. The common opinion of it. There's no true or false in opinions. The common opinion  becomes reputation. SL and SL people do not have a good reputation. Sadly, I kind of agree with the definitions on Urban dictionary. It's quite accurate from what I see on SL.

I suppose that begs the question...why are you here and/or why do you stay? :)

"the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!"" - Jack Kerouac

The Mad Hatter: There is a place. Like no place on Earth. A land full of wonder, mystery, and danger! Some say to survive it: You need to be as mad as a hatter.
[picks up his hat]
The Mad Hatter: Which luckily I am.

The Mad Hatter: Have I gone mad?
[Alice checks Hatter's temperature]
Alice Kingsley: I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1840 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.