Do you notice there are a lot of mentally unstable people on SL?

Aiden Rives

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1839 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

And, if you ask if they where a women they could easily say to themselves "World Only Man" and "Ah, they mean REAL world, since Sl is not a world but only virtually so" and then reply yes, as they scratch the hair on their flat y chromosone created chest? It is hard to talk to people, or bots, sometimes. The sadest day is when you are chatting with a bot and it gets tacken over by a person :( then you know the world is truly mad.

BUT, maybe the OP was looking for peole to say  "hey, you need to just go to like X side of SL or check out these places here" and then list a bunch of places, huh?

Well, I remember seeing everything from churches and other non-profit groups to corporate sims that range from small magazine places with nothing much there to larger full sim areas. But, in some wayssome seem to not have to many things to do but serve as a place to chat or just ownder around and look.

I turned up at a few in world classes or talks that had nothing to do with SL. One was a physics lecture...I left, voice only and I was not in the mood to listen to people talk. But, yeah....there was nanowrimo people meeting up (write a book in a month world wide event) and some other neat stuff that is not that weird!

The events listings may lead you to something cool and if you find people you are cool with then you will get along with thier friends. This will lead to a small group that you can hang with and maybe even just chat and amuse each other with objects or gestures etc. I remember hearing about average SL usage and there are a lot people that never leave one area hardly ever! They log in, stay thre and just hang out and there are friends they know there and it's all good for them because they understand each others. Then, there is the main areas like help areas and welcome areas or sandboxes. You never know if you will get a dude silently working on something neat and you strike up a convo or if a crazy dude rezz's a church and throws fire bombs at it for a few minutes though! So, most go where they can handle it and say put, from what I read at a blog that was looking at SL usage stats or something that was said by a LL worker..nto sure.

I've noticed it. A few years ago,someone threatened me with harm and stuff. I once brought it up to the owners of a sim that the person was a admin of,but they didn't seem to do anything about the fact about the person threatening harm against me.

This is peculiar cause I ran into a similar thread on another forum where someone with great advantages in what we do likes to step in and remind the rest of us that we are basically losers.

Ok so suppose some or even a lot of folks in SL are "ugly" or have no life or socially awkward.

SL might be the only means they have of "getting laid" or lving SOME kind of life they cannot have in the real world. Does this mean they should be deprived of what little exposure to their dreams that SL might offer?

In RL - I am NOT handicap, I have the ability to live a normal life. I have friends, family, and once in a while an actual date with someone. Does this give me the right to go up to someone who is bed-ridden and say, "You are using a VR to try to experience things cause you are a loser".

There was a time when i felt "people in SL are losers" but i came to realize that what if i got in a car wreck and SL was my ONLY option to do anything remotely close to living a life? Some people probably ARE in that situation.

If someone is out of shape or ugly, yes they could fix it but that does not mean they will be able to heal the emotional scars from abuse they suffered that will ruin their self esteem for life.

Yes but that's the fun in it isn't it? I mean In rl we talk to people behave properly atleast most of us and well live our lives normally. Here we can come on and see an pale white dude that's seven feet tall with a twenty i inch orange pee pee attached to him yelling into an open room "you wanna make boom boom with me" since he's foreign and how in the heck can that not be like awesome!! lol I'm just saying. I enjoy me some looneys. :-p

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Aiden Rives wrote:

birds of a feather, birds of a feather.

It's alright. I'm leaving SL. You guys are right I don't belong here. bye, enjoy your second life.

SLkind is not ready to hear your message, just as humankind was not ready to hear Lucinda's. Perhaps it is time to return to your home planet, as it was hers. :smileylol:

(On the other hand, someone with absolutely nothing in their profile after five years saying that everyone else must be a social misfit... hmmmmmyeah.)

Shhhh, you're disturbing the puppet show. 

Andromeda Chrome wrote:

Yes but that's the fun in it isn't it? I mean In rl we talk to people behave properly atleast most of us and well live our lives normally. Here we can come on and see an pale white dude that's seven feet tall with a twenty i inch orange pee pee attached to him yelling into an open room "you wanna make boom boom with me" since he's foreign and how in the heck can that not be like awesome!! lol I'm just saying. I enjoy me some looneys. :-p

*Wipes Pepsi of monitor*

Thanks...I needed that chuckle today. ;)

Aiden Rives wrote:

Most people on SL are just odd. They don't talk like people irl and have very erratic behaviour. It just seem like a lot of people on SL have personality problems, rage issues or are depressed. Generally mentally unstable people you know. Do you notice it?

______

No.

Aiden Rives wrote:

I think people who don't notice it are one of those mental people themselves, birds of a feather flock together huh?  

Uh oh.

• 1 month later...

Aiden Rives wrote:

Most people on SL are just odd. They don't talk like people irl and have very erratic behaviour. It just seem like a lot of people on SL have personality problems, rage issues or are depressed. Generally mentally unstable people you know. Do you notice it? I think people who don't notice it are one of those mental people themselves, birds of a feather flock together huh?  I've seen and met some good, logical people on SL but the majority just seem mentally unstable.

What do you think?

I don't often post but I had to chime in on this one. I personally don't know your definition or type of person you've described here. Who on earth are these people you have the misfortune to spend most of your time with?! The people I meet are passionate about what they are doing, delightfully morbid at times, extremely intelligent, LMAO hilarious and offbeat and creative. Maybe it is just a matter of perspective. Since SL is passion, delight, morbid at times, hilarious often, offbeat and creative perhaps this world that had some enormously quirky, very intelligent people behind it's creation in the first place, isn't your cup of tea?

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Resurrecting the thread.

Have I noticed a lot of mentally "unstable" people in SL? You betcha.

During the 6+ years I've been off and on in SL, I've met more people who have unresolved issues than people without issues.

They're the kind of people I've learned to avoid getting entagled with.

Give them enough rope and many people will often enough hang themselves. They'll always take more than they need.

• 2 years later...

necro'd.

Ive noticed this as well. People in this game are off their rocker (probably why trolls love to troll it) . I think I've met maybe a handful of people that weren't so uptight and defensive about everything.

I've had so many arguments in this game over the stupidest **bleep**. I like the game but wow people are **bleep**ing nuts in this. It kind of drives away normal logical people and you're left with the crazies lol.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1839 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.