Teleport hopelessly broken?

chrisbreitling

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4242 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think about 50% of the times my viewer crashes is due to teleport. Sometimes it fails and it gives two alternatives:

1. View IM & Chat

2. Quit

But actually choosing #1 leaves you with a useless interface where you can't do anything, so basically #2 is the only viable alternative.

Many times I try to teleport in-world and it fails, many of those times the application also exits (gives me the "two" alternatives above) but when relogging I can teleport to the place without problem.

So, why is the teleport functionality broken? I believe that rather than throwing the user out of the application it should stay there and give the opportunity to choose something else (this happens a few times though).

I think today we were thrown out like 20 times and we tried that with both the official SL viewer 3.3.4 and the latest Exodus viewer.

You are unlucky to have such a massive failure rate with your teleportation, and it suggests to me that either you're using a wireless connection and losing part of it while teleporting, or (more likely) you are wearing an attachment that fails to go through the teleport process with the rest of you.  Certain scripted items can cause such a problem.  If you are wearing hair that has a resizer script, for example, this would be a likely culprit. Ditto certain HUDs.

Test this by removing all your attachments and teleporting around the grid and see if there is less of a failure rate for your teleports.  By a process of elimination you can work out what is causing this problem for you.

I do have certain doubts about it however because how could it be that Teleporting seems to work fine if you do it from the viewer Sign In screen and fail most of the times when you are in-world? it is supposed to be the same code although my experience with software development is that C++ applications tend to be messy, I wouldn't be surprised that the teleporting code executed during sign-in is different from the teleporting code used when you are in-world.

I think a code review would be a great thing to do because I tried the Exodus viewer and it has the same interface as the official viewer. I understand it is the same (open source) code, so whatever flaw is in the baseline would most likely appear in the branches unless constantly reviewed and fixed on the main codeline.

I know b4gger all about coding, but when you log in to a different location, you're not actually teleporting.  Your viewer is just lifting all the information from the server (view console window to view what's happening while you log in), and you arrive at your chosen destination inworld once all the information has been pulled together.

When you teleport, or fly/walk/use a vehicle to cross over to another sim, all that information has to go from one server to another, and some of the information from attachments actually travels at a different speed than the main avatar. In times gone by, people would teleport and find themselves at their new destination minus HUDs, shoes, parts of their hair; LL tweaked things, increased throttle too later on, but still sometimes a script in something will slow the progress of the teleportation so much that it fails completely.  LL are continually working on this issue. that's why some weeks you might have more success with teleporting and sim crossings than other weeks.

normally when i have problems teleporting somewhere  i push ctrl+alt+shift+1 and ctrl+alt+shift+2  this disables a lot of stuff from your screen prims and alphas but normally does the trick it might help you too

also by pushing em again you re enabling em so no worries on that matter

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4242 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.