Deploys for the week of 2012-08-13

Oskar Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4265 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'll have a crack at answering you, Joy.

When I set my debug console to see region messages it just scrolls madly if I am in a sutable location.  When I sent the messages to my log file I very soon built up a log file of over 5MB!

While sailing around Blake Sea, provided that the sims are all there (which they have not always been) I see almost a constant 1-2Mbps of bandwidth in my viewer stats, rising to 2.5Mbps in some locations around the southern edge of sims, and in some locations nearly 3Mbps.

I suspect the reason that we have not yet seen large numbers of votes or watches on the JIRAs is that Linden Lab has been closing them almost as fast as they are opened, usually marking them as duplicates of "fixed" issues...which in a large part, they are NOT.  Most people who actually make it to the JIRA do not comment on closed issues.  That said a large number of SL users do not know how to comment on JIRAs or simply do not care to.

Whether this bandwidth hike causes viewer crashes I do not know.  It may be that if RAM is limited then the spam fills up the RAM and precipitates a crash.  I must add that that comment is pure speculation on my part.

Indeed I have yet to see more than one or two reports of ISPs charging SL users for overuse of capped contracts.  This could have numerous causes:

1) The affected users are avoiding SL like the plague, but as you say I do not yet see a fall off in concurrency.

2) People really do not know that it is SL that has caused this issue.

3) People do not like to admit to the issue, and certainly do not wish to start lengthy and costly legal battles over compensation.

So, in short the issue is very real for those who have seen it, but as yet it does not appear to have caused the sky to fall!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to reply to the reason why people may not be following Jira's - I did see an announcement somewehre suggesting Jira's never get looked at, and lets be fair - how many Jira's get left and not actioned? Seems little point in following them or voting for them when you have no confidence in them.

ISP Capping would not wait till end of month!   $ bills yes.   And I agree perhpas people just will take a while to clue in.

What ppl are saying about the JIRAS is rather scary ...  I guess i hae to start attending server offcie hours again.

Friday in Blake I was RDing a race to had to have my DD way out to track the fleet, at dd = 800 I was getting BW over 5 MBPS.   But the daily tally according to my ISP was only 3 GB (Im usually between 1 and 2 GB).   I was also crashing a fair bit.   (Normally I have DDarond 250 - BW used to be 100 - 300 KBPS at that setting now its around 1500 - 2000 KBPS).

Fascianting!

According to Bitmeter, the BW coming through to my computer is nothing like what the stats bar is reporting (300 KBPS versus 1700KBPS +).

This might explain why relatively few people are seeing a real world problem.

Can any one tell if this is due to erroneous figure in stats bar, or some sort of throttling by ISP?  If the latter, would that be casue of the more freqent client crahes Im seeing?  (SL trying to pour more down the pipe than will fit).

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-oS2JD05aAb0/UDJKBfLm9aI/AAAAAAAAAQs/qrzPEH4YpSo/s800/bw%2520pic.jpg

[/iurlg]

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4265 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.