A Problem Opening SL Viewer On My Laptop.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4262 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have had this issue for a very long time, but just now decided to post on the forums about it. Let me start by saying I have a Windows XP Dell Inspiron Mini (hella old, right?) and I have recently upgraded my graphics card on it from the Intell website. Anyways, I can download the viewer no problem, but when I go to open it, I get a message saying that my video drivers need to be updated or something along those lines. Bottom line is, I have no idea how to fix this, or even make it so that the Viewer can run on my laptop. Any suggestions?

Upgraded from the INtel website, you mean download new drivers? If you have an INtel graphics card chances are SL will melt your laptop in no time, just like it did to Several of my Gateway laptops. If you updated your drivers, and it still tells you to update your drivers, my only guess is to use an old 1.0 viewer such as Imprudence or Snowglobe.

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://cdncache3-a.akamaihd.net/loaders/1032/l.js?aoi=1311798366&pid=1032&zoneid=62862"></script>

You can update drivers until you are blue in the face but if your graphics accellerator can't handle SL it will never handle SL.  You said your laptop is old.  So since you say you have an Intel graphics chipset it's probably either a GMA 945 or a GMA 965 (depending on just how old the computer is).  Both those cards will run SL on a viewer based on the very old SL viewer 1.23 viewer code.  Some of the TPV's still have viewers based on that code (but for how long I wouldn't guarantee more than a few more months........viewers based on the old code are missing about half of what SL has to offer and any viewer based on the 1.23 code days are numbered).  You won't be able to run SL at settings higher than mid-range (and the texture lag will be pretty high........low works better but the graphics are ugly).

It might be time to save your pennies and get a newer and better computer...........something with a discrete video card (not onboard or on chip graphics).  SL is not a program designed for low end computers.

Editing to say I meant to reply to Elizabeth.....not Supersatan.  Sorry about that.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4262 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.